4.0 out of 5 stars A great guide without the map
Published on 22 May 2010 by Graym

3.0 out of 5 stars OK so long as you want to go on multi-day trips
The book is geared around multi-day, non-circular trips which is OK if you can afford the time but not much use for day trips from a fixed location be it hotel or campsite. The trips don't even join up with each other so you can use it to plan a longer holiday. Very shallow and disappointing.
Published 11 months ago by BTRL

4.0 out of 5 stars A great guide without the map, 22 May 2010
Graym (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I love DK Eyewitness Guides, they are pretty much the only guides I buy and are in my opinion the most interesting guides you can get. Since touring in a car is my preferred style of holiday I had pretty high expectations for Back Roads France, that is, until I had read Back Roads Great Britain, then my expectations were lowered. I was therefore very happy to find that the France edition seems a much better guide.
Obviously I haven't had time to do all the drives in the guide but reading the routes of some of the areas that I know well (Eg the Loire Valley and Dordogne) was enough for me to hope the rest of the book is as good.
What I want from a driving guide like this is to be shown some of the 'off the beaten track' hidden gems that exist in rural France.
Having spent a two week holiday touring the Loire Valley two years ago, I was interested to see if that route went through some of my favourite towns like Loches and Cour-Cheverny and also had some that I hadn't found on my own. It does! The only omission (in my opinion) are the fantastic gardens at Villandry.
This guide can be bought with or without a pull-out map. I bought the one with the map included as I thought it would be helpful to see the routes plotted on a larger map. A waste of money, it is just a map of France with major roads and motorways, so if you already have a map or GPS it is not needed.
Another negative is the information on larger towns, cities and significant buildings. If you're used to the excellent 3D illustrations of Cathedrals and Historic buildings that other DK guides include, then the information in here may disappoint. For example there is just one small paragraph on the Chateau de Chambord whereas in the main France or Loire DK guides you get 2+ pages with illustrations and historical background etc. What I'm trying to say is that this book does not replace the need to have a more detailed, place by place guide book.
Something unusual is that the cover of the book on Amazon says '25 Leisurely Drives', but the copy I received only has 24, I have contacted the retailer for an explanation.
On the positives, my wife loves that the market days are listed out for each route, there are many walking guides for some of the bigger places visited and there are day trip options given for further exploration.
Reading through the other routes I was pleased to see that most of the driving is done on B roads. It has encouraged me to revisit places I have been to before and discover what I'd missed and if the map wasn't a paid for extra then I would have given it 5 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK so long as you want to go on multi-day trips, 17 Oct 2013
This review is from: Back Roads France (DK Eyewitness Travel Back Roads) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Really informative and well thought through, 5 Mar 2014
M. Aust "Martin" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
A really good balance of information about the routes, what to see, where to stay, what to do, well presented with lots of pictures and maps.

5.0 out of 5 stars tempting, 21 Oct 2013
We have been to France many times touring in our car and campervan, but have missed so many wonderful places. An ideal guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book has improved our visits to France no end!, 25 Sep 2013
I have had this book now for about 18 months and it has been invaluable during our trips to France. It has opened up whole new experiences for us - I particularly like the walking tours of the towns. We did the one for Honfleur and it was fabulous - we discovered things we never would have done by ourselves. We have done some of the drives whole or we have done little bits en route. It has been especially good for identifying stop off points on long drives south. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who likes to meander through France.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't go to France without it!, 10 Aug 2014
Ian Brearley - See all my reviews
I first used this book as a library borrowing but ordered my own copy on-line before I even got back from holiday. We followed many of the routes and found fabulous driving roads and quaint little towns and villages. Have bought the "German" version ready for next year. Shame they don't do one for Austria too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend to anyone wanted to travel around the untouched areas ..., 16 Aug 2014
I brought this book for my Dad for Fathers Day as he travels round France every year. This book has some lovely examples of places to visit that are not so commercialised. Would recommend to anyone wanted to travel around the untouched areas of France.

5.0 out of 5 stars Holidays in France, 13 April 2013
A wonderful little book ideal for the motorist who like myself wishes to travel in France but not down the motorways.

4.0 out of 5 stars Usefull., 11 Jun 2013
A useful travel guide again from DK Eyewitness. I find all there guide books good & get them for where ever we travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Aug 2014
Great book some good trips to try

Back Roads France (DK Eyewitness Travel Back Roads)
Back Roads France (DK Eyewitness Travel Back Roads) by Author (Paperback - 1 Mar 2013)