5.0 out of 5 stars A class above the other guides

Published on 21 Feb. 2011 by R. Weks

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A class above the other guides, 26 Dec. 2009
A. Owen "anthonymowen" (Orpington, England) - See all my reviews
This is a beaufifully produced guide with hardback cover, glossy paper and magnificent colour maps and photographs. If you are cruising, this book contains a mountain of information to enable you to judge which on shore excursions are worth taking. The Lonely Planet Guide might be better if you are a back packer planning to spend days or weeks on an island but it comes nowhere near the production quality and clarity of DK guides.

This book really does contain all the information needed by cruise passengers. It also gives a lot of historical information about each island and is a really good read to build up the anticipation before you travel. The photographs and maps are particularly good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A WEIGHTY TOME, 7 Jan. 2012
"Sam & Dave" (Stroud, Gloucestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
The usual high standard of production from DK - Dorling Kindersley. This was bought as a present for friends travelling on a cruise to the Caribbean. Quality glossy paper, with excellent photographs and superb detailed maps. Potted histories, places to visit and recommendations of where to eat. Very exstensive, covering virtually all the important islands in the Caribbean. I titled this review a WEIGHTY tome, because that is exactly what it is. The friends who I bought this for, are cruising all the way to the Caribbean and back ~ therefore weight is not an issue. However, if you were flying to the Caribbean and are subject to the usual 20kgs maximum luggage allowance, you might well consider leaving it at home! You definitely will need to take it on a plane as hand luggage and thus preserve your hold luggage allowance ~ but it would be well worth the carry-on!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good for a cruise, 20 Dec. 2010
I purchased this book as a reference for a cruise around the caribbean. I was very pleased with it as it had just the right amount of information so that you can decide the best things to do with a limited amount of time, without being overloaded with too many options. If you are going to one island for a longer period of time you may prefer a more in specific local guide to give more depth. This suited me perfectly.

3.0 out of 5 stars dissapointing, 21 Feb. 2011
R. Weks - See all my reviews
Very picture rich book, sensible plasic cover holds back wear damage,but did not give me the degree of information I expected regarding the destinations, I found once I was on my cruise that the Fodors caribbean guide, which another passenger lent me was more useful to someone who had never set foot on some of the islands and it had a degree of cruise ship berth location information and how to get to the " metroplis" without taking expensive Cruise ship organised tours. The little Berlitz ports of call guide was really as usefull as the DK book but weighed much less as regards restricted air travel baggage weights. Enjoy your trip

Roger w

3.0 out of 5 stars Caribbean overview, 13 Feb. 2012
A useful book for comparing islands in the Caribbean but not enough information on the particular island we were staying on to warrant taking on holiday with us. Probably useful if cruising around the area and visiting lots of islands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide., 9 Dec. 2013
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Caribbean (Paperback)
I am a long time fan of these DK Travel Guides. We bought this prior to a a Caribbean Cruise visiting seven islands. This guide is easy to read and coverd everything we needed.

5.0 out of 5 stars so so useful !, 1 Feb. 2011
I just love DK Eyewitness Travel Guides. I travel a lot and if I'm going somewhere new I just have to buy their guide.Lovely pictures, clearly laid out and very informative.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for cruise passengers, 7 Jan. 2012
Bought this prior to a Caribbean cruise so we could do some background research & identify what we wanted to do & see on each island in our itinerary.
Found this to be ideal with just the right amount of detail & attractive pictures to help set the scene.
Have used these guides in the past as I like the format & they would always be my first choice when planning visits to a new destination.

2.0 out of 5 stars caribbean, 25 Feb. 2012
This book should have been entitled "Part of the Caribbean" as it excludes Bermuda,Barbados and Haiti none of which are listed in the index and Haiti isnt even given a name on the map.
Notes on 22 islands or island groups are given covrting exploring,party activities,specalised trips and where to eat and stay.
Inevitably these notes are superficial and are not much use for specific place swhere a dedicated volume is required.
There are many pictures most to small to be of any value. The maps are far to cluttered.
Not a book to be recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 1 Dec. 2009
This book is an amazing. There are so much information on Carribbean Islands and I used it lot when I went on Carribean Cruises. I would recommend this book for anyone who going on Carribean Islands.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Caribbean
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Caribbean by Collectif (Paperback - 1 Aug. 2013)
Used & New from: £5.41