on 24 April 2014
A lovely hardback book, well written, easy to understand instruction, with clear illustrations (has a modern feel doesn't feel dated) I'm returning to dressmaking after several years and felt I needed a reference book to this effect; although I think this book would suit a beginner too.
on 27 October 2013
I love Alison Smith's books as they are so clear to read and understand and this book is no exception. It is very weighty with a huge content. Lots of images and instructions on how to do a wide range of techniques as well as information on how to make a range of key items.
on 20 May 2013
It has all I expected to find.Very complete illustrations and explanations of the whole process of sewing.Very useful, either for beginners or experienced sewists.
on 11 December 2012
This is a very good book, because it teaches a person how to cut a pattern and the various types of stiches and how to make different various clothes from classical to little bit more modern.
on 7 August 2013
I was given this book as a birthday gift and as with all DK books it's beautiful. My real problem with the book is the .pdf patterns that are included with the book. The book says you can either photocopy and enlarge the patterns as they're printed in the book, draw them yourself using the grid lines as a guide (I was useless at that sort of thing when I was a kid, I'm no better now), or go to the website and download the .pdf and print them out.
I tried doing that and after waiting a good five minutes for the DK site to load the page and files were unavailable. Perhaps if you buy this as a kindle book you might have more luck, but I wanted to print out the pattern pieces without having to photocopy and enlarge repeatedly.
It's a shame because I wanted to try out some of these patterns...I'll have to give the photocopying a go.
33 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 April 2014
I've recently become interested in sewing but as a complete novice needed all the help I could get. I bought this as a starting out reference book because I read it had great projects and came with downloadable patterns. I was very impressed with the book itself. It's beautiful and very detailed. I bought it alongside Alison Smith's other book 'The Sewing Book' after reading a review which said they go well alongside one another. I'm not sure I agree! Much of the information in The Sewing Book is verbatim repeated in Dressmaking although to a more basic level. If you want a book to use as reference to give you a complete guidance on almost anything you could want to do, The Sewing Book is for you. Although I wasn't as impressed by the sewing projects it featured. If you want just a basic covering of techniques (although still rather expansive!) and great projects to try them out on then Dressmaking is for you. I wouldn't buy both again.
on 12 March 2014
I bought this for my daughter, who has recently begun sewing her own clothes. She likes it very much. It has generalized patterns for basic wardrobe items, that can be modified as you please. I noticed that some said the styles were old fashioned, but the point is that you're supposed to change them to suit your own personal style. The book gives lots of guidance for modifying patterns.
on 17 January 2014
If you are a beginner or an experienced needlewoman, you will find this book full of invaluable hints and information. A veritable dressmakers' bible!
on 2 February 2014
Great little book for beginner or all. Still need lessons if total beginner, but helps. Down load patterns useful idea.
on 22 June 2014
I am really liking this book. A great book to look up techniques, terms and how-tos. I will try the patterns too at some point. This will be staying on my sewing table as a reference book.