5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!
I love Alison Smith's books as they are so clear to read and understand and this book is no exception. It is very weighty with a huge content. Lots of images and instructions on how to do a wide range of techniques as well as information on how to make a range of key items.
Published 14 months ago by Julie

3.0 out of 5 stars Potentially really good...
Published 16 months ago by H. Colthup

3.0 out of 5 stars Potentially really good..., 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Dressmaking (Hardcover)
I was given this book as a birthday gift and as with all DK books it's beautiful. My real problem with the book is the .pdf patterns that are included with the book. The book says you can either photocopy and enlarge the patterns as they're printed in the book, draw them yourself using the grid lines as a guide (I was useless at that sort of thing when I was a kid, I'm no better now), or go to the website and download the .pdf and print them out.
I tried doing that and after waiting a good five minutes for the DK site to load the page and files were unavailable. Perhaps if you buy this as a kindle book you might have more luck, but I wanted to print out the pattern pieces without having to photocopy and enlarge repeatedly.
It's a shame because I wanted to try out some of these patterns...I'll have to give the photocopying a go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book!, 27 Oct 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars very good book, 11 Dec 2012
This review is from: Dressmaking (Hardcover)
This is a very good book, because it teaches a person how to cut a pattern and the various types of stiches and how to make different various clothes from classical to little bit more modern.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dressmaking, 20 May 2013
This review is from: Dressmaking (Hardcover)
It has all I expected to find.Very complete illustrations and explanations of the whole process of sewing.Very useful, either for beginners or experienced sewists.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for beginners, 5 Jan 2013
This review is from: Dressmaking (Hardcover)
Ive only had this book since christmas but chose it myself as I liked that it includes patterns and has step by step instructions which is useful for me as I havent done any sewing for years. This book is ideal for beginners as has everything you need to know about dressmaking and is easy to understand. l feel confident now that I could make a garment without any problems and look forward to making my first piece. I would recommend this book to anyone thinking of taking up dressmaking

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners!, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Dressmaking (Hardcover)
I've recently become interested in sewing but as a complete novice needed all the help I could get. I bought this as a starting out reference book because I read it had great projects and came with downloadable patterns. I was very impressed with the book itself. It's beautiful and very detailed. I bought it alongside Alison Smith's other book 'The Sewing Book' after reading a review which said they go well alongside one another. I'm not sure I agree! Much of the information in The Sewing Book is verbatim repeated in Dressmaking although to a more basic level. If you want a book to use as reference to give you a complete guidance on almost anything you could want to do, The Sewing Book is for you. Although I wasn't as impressed by the sewing projects it featured. If you want just a basic covering of techniques (although still rather expansive!) and great projects to try them out on then Dressmaking is for you. I wouldn't buy both again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good, all-round book, 17 Jan 2014
Ms. Gillian Dix "Gilly" (Basingstoke, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dressmaking (Hardcover)
If you are a beginner or an experienced needlewoman, you will find this book full of invaluable hints and information. A veritable dressmakers' bible!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely Book!, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Dressmaking (Hardcover)
A lovely hardback book, well written, easy to understand instruction, with clear illustrations (has a modern feel doesn't feel dated) I'm returning to dressmaking after several years and felt I needed a reference book to this effect; although I think this book would suit a beginner too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like this book., 2 Feb 2014
This review is from: Dressmaking (Hardcover)
Great little book for beginner or all. Still need lessons if total beginner, but helps. Down load patterns useful idea.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great go-to book, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dressmaking (Hardcover)
I am really liking this book. A great book to look up techniques, terms and how-tos. I will try the patterns too at some point. This will be staying on my sewing table as a reference book.

Dressmaking
Dressmaking by Alison Smith (Hardcover - 3 Sep 2012)