5.0 out of 5 stars Everything you'll ever need to know about Washington, DC, 30 Oct. 2013
Paul Allaer (Cincinnati) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Washington, D.C. (Flexibound)
Let me state upfront that at one point I lived in Washington DC (near Tenley Circle) and suburban Maryland (Bethesda) for 4 years earlier in my career, that my youngest went to university in DC and that I regularly go to DC for work. In other words: I am quite familiar with Washington. The other day I saw this book at my local library here in Cincinnati. Curiosity got the better of me and so I picked it up, wanting to see how DK Eyewitness Travel presents Washington.

"DK Eyewitness Travel: Washington, DC 2014" (2013 release; 238 pages) starts off with about 30 pages of "Introducing Washington, DC", immediately providing suggestions on what essentials to see, depending on whether you have 1, 2, 3 or 5 days, and then going into some further background such as the history of the city. Then we get into the heart of this travel guide, a 100 page section where it covers the 5 main areas of the city (the White House/Foggy Bottom are, Capital Hill, Georgetown, etc.). As I am very familiar with the Foggy Bottom area, I carefully read up on that section, and I must say, I am very impressed with what I found. Maps galore, detailed information street-by-street and sometimes building-by-building (or even room-by-room, for the White House), lots of great looking pictures, etc. Check out the spot-on comments about the DAR Memorial (Daughters of the American Revolution). The last section of the book gives practical information on hotels and eateries, which I happen to think is not the most critical information (people tend to find hotels in different ways, but not very often from a travel guide). There is also a 10 page "Entertainment" section, and when I noticed that relative to movies and concerts, this guide refers to the Landmark E Street Cinema and the 9:30 Club, respectively (among others), it confirmed for me that this guide truly gives the inside scoop/best information that anyone visiting the city would want to have.

Bottom line: this is a very impressive travel guide for Washington, DC. I have used DK Eyewitness travel guides before (including for China and Australia) and each time I have been very pleased with them. Whether you are a first time visitor to Washington DC or a return visitor, this guide will please everyone. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

5.0 out of 5 stars and I am happy to recommend it with flying colours, 19 Dec. 2014
J. Reader - See all my reviews
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Washington, D.C. (Flexibound)
I have always found the DK Eyewitness books very user-friendly and informative. This particular guide to Washington is no different, and I am happy to recommend it with flying colours. The colourful photographs, great formatting and useful street maps, and much more, make it an invaluable help as you explore the various attractions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Washington, D.C. (Flexibound)
Liked how it broke it down by area and gave an overview as well as more detail further on in the book. Useful tips inside, great photography, good guides to the museums. Map came in very handy! Less dynamic and more formal than other guidebooks I've used.

4.0 out of 5 stars Poor packaging, 25 Mar. 2014
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Washington, D.C. (Flexibound)
The original book had a torn and creased back cover. Usual smart efficient Amazon - returned and replaced. The book will be most helpful when we visit DC.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide and tips, 12 Jan. 2014
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Washington, D.C. (Flexibound)
An excellent and useful guide with up to date and accurate information which helped to make my holiday in Washington a great success,

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful guide book, 10 April 2014
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Washington, D.C. (Flexibound)
Clear - easy to follow. Good maps and handy having the full city map to pull out. Handy size for carrying around in pocket too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent., 16 Nov. 2013
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Washington, D.C. (Flexibound)
Perfect book - has everything you need for your trip to washington. Even confirmation of the american monies required. X

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for our 5 day trip, 20 Sept. 2014
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Washington, D.C. (Flexibound)
Great for our 5 day trip. A bit more on Alexandria would have been good as it was lovely place to visit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Find your way round Washington DC, 14 April 2015
V. A. Herod (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Washington, D.C. (Flexibound)
Just had a few days in Washington and this book gave us the low down on where/what/when places to visit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arrived in plenty of time excellent., 8 Nov. 2014
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Washington, D.C. (Flexibound)
As usual DK very informative. Arrived in plenty of time excellent.

DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Washington, D.C.
DK Eyewitness Travel Guide: Washington, D.C. by Collectif (Flexibound - 1 Oct. 2013)
Used & New from: £7.82