Format: Hardcover|Change

on 27 January 2013
The Definitive Visual Guide is what this book is all about!
The look and feel of the book gives you the feeling you won't be disappointed!
There is something here for everyone interested in Astronomy!

It is a large, heavy, hardback book which is hard to put down. More suited to the study/living room
than reading in bed.

If you are like me, getting back into Astronomy after a long absence, this book is a must have! It is written by the Astonomer Royal, beautifully presented and covers most of the topics in Astronomy today. The pictures and diagrams are not too complex and are easy to follow. It is as the title suggests, more a visual presentation as opposed to a 'facts and figures' one [although some are given], with good maps of the Terristial [Rocky] planets and our Moon as well as their main craters etc. Would have liked a bit more on the gas giants, but not as much is known about these as the other planets I guess.
The past, present and future are all discussed here too.

Good coverage is also made of star formation/life cycle and galaxies [including our own 'The Milky Way'] as well as the 'Big Bang' theory etc. and what will happen when the 'fuel' runs out.

What I really like is the star maps for each month at the back [for both hemispheres] and the 88 Constellations! These too are easy to follow and well drawn.

Overall it has achieved it's aim: 'The Definitive Visual Guide to the Universe' and to get people interested in the subject!
on 17 March 2014
As this was suggested for my talented goddaughter (12) from a professor at the Institute of Astronomy Cambridge, I bought it. A weighty tome and thankfully something that will last for years as some of it is way beyond her at the moment, and me! All facts, illustrations to go with the text and not the other way round. Very scientific, full of real astronomy for the very interested or considering a career in the subject.
on 4 April 2013
This book is all you wanted to know about the univere with superb photographs and illustrations throughout. The overall quality of the item is outstanding. You wouldn't want to read it in bed though - it weighs a ton.
on 2 March 2014
Stunning from cover to cover. I bought this book as a raffle prize for our Society to give away as a part of Jupiter National Astronomy Week 2014 event. The cover is lovely. A gold printed Saturn on a textured white thick card. Inside the book has lovely images, detailed accurate explanations and seems to cover just about everything a general astronomy book should cover. I think I will buy myself a copy too! I'm very proud to offer this as a free raffle prize - I hope this winner will enjoy it for many years to come!
on 9 March 2014
Beautiful pictures. Very heavy book though. Probably need to be at a solid desk to read it lol Bought it as a present and it was appreciated :)
on 30 December 2014
Got this book for xmas 2014, had not seen it previously and didnt know I was getting it, but have been very impressed with it. It is more of a reference book but is organised and presented very well, with really good information. Very easy to read and jump to and from the bits you want. 5 stars from me.
on 2 October 2013
I ordered this as a birthday present for my step daughters boyfriend, who has recently got into astronomy. He loved the book, saying that it was really expensive. Little did he know that I saved quite a bit off the retail price through ordering it from amazon. Book arrived promptly. Great.
on 6 November 2013
This has to be the greatest guide to our universe today. It's size says it all. The book is filled with just about everything anyone would want to know about the universe. I wish I could rate it more than 6 stars because it's seriously that good!!!
on 6 March 2016
This is the most beautiful book you will ever own.The quality of the photos is fab.Detailed description of the solar system and all the planets.This book also contains detailed star charts and much,much more.Delighted by this book
on 9 March 2013
This is the most amazing book in the world!!
Bought it for my grandson, who is totally obsessed with space,
the universe etc.
Had a sneak-peek without creasing the spine & was totally gob-smacked!
Saw two photos in the Mail on Sunday last week & just had to get it for him.
Can't wait to se his face when I give it to him!
Thanks SO much for fast delivery and VERY cheap postage cost.
Also fancy the oceans book in the series for ME.