‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A great new title from Tom, 29 Sep 2012
This review is from: Digital Photography Month by Month (Hardcover)
I've been a fan of Tom Ang since he introduced me to digital photography in 'A Digital Picture of Britain' on BBC Four a number of years ago now. This book is different from his other, more graded instructional ones and takes the approach of looking at different ideas for photographing through the year. There's a hefty number of these along with some spreads that describe particular techniques.

I liked the approach that takes a subject and then analyses, via a bold image, how best to record the subject. It then looks at several different techniques for the same subject, some obvious, some less so. There are also 'side boxes' that examine things like how to use your phone camera to record images of that subject. If I have any reservations then it's just a couple of minor points. FIrst, the images used are from image galleries: mostly apparently from Getty Images and Corbis. It would be nice to see exemplars from Tom and other enthusiast photographers. Also, there's a bit of political correctness creeping in - so we have winter festivals rather than Christmas and so on. As a non Christian I've no problem with the word nor shooting the colourful lights around that time of year. But these are small points and would in no way reduce my liking of this book at all. Some people might argue that some of the subject spreads are also a bit contrived, but I'd take issue. They may not be obvious objects for shooting, but that's the beauty of theme: priming readers to shoot the unexpected.

I'll heartily recommend this book - to fans of Tom Ang, and those looking to keep their camera out of hibernation in the colder months!

p.s. and a big thank you to Amazon for delivering this ahead of the despatch date!

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended book for all seasons., 5 Dec 2012
This review is from: Digital Photography Month by Month (Hardcover)
As a avid photographer, but only amateur I am always looking for things to photograph and this book certainly gives you all the inspiration you need, the pages are quality and the pictures and ideas are brilliant, would highly recommend, there isn't very many book out there that would match up to the quality and inspiration that this book delivers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great ! Two books in one !, 18 Nov 2013
Amazon Customer (PLYMOUTH, DEVON United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital Photography Month by Month (Hardcover)
Another great book from the Tom Ang stable. Two books in one - you get loads and loads of potential photo projects plus you get photo tips on each project to help you take better shots! Some lovely photos too. Well worth the money, as is How to Photograph Absolutely Everything by the same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring Ideas, 26 Oct 2013
This review is from: Digital Photography Month by Month (Hardcover)
This book is packed with inspiring ideas. Themes are arranged on a monthly basis, although many are relevant to other seasons. The presentation is simple enough for 'point and shoot' photographers for follow, but also provides tips for those who wish to experiment with adjusting apertures, shutter speeds and colour balance. Never again will I see a shoot a mundane object without wondering "what can I do with that"!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Beautiful and Inspirational Book, 13 April 2013
This review is from: Digital Photography Month by Month (Hardcover)
I noticed this book whilst browsing the shelves of a well known high street store. Rushed home and ordered myself a copy via Amazon at a much reduced price. Book arrived today and I have already produced a very different and interesting photo of nothing more exciting than eggs in a saucepan of water !!

As a keen hill walker I really only take snaps to record where I've been. However, this book has given me some excellent tips and ideas on how to create more interesting photos. Some of these tips I had slowly begun to discover for myself simply by taking lots of photographs and then seeing which of them appeal. Other tips I doubt I would ever have discovered for myself. I really like the month-by-month format and it has been written in a relatively jargon-free style.

Keen amateur photographers probably won't need as much help with the technical aspects associated with depth of view, exposure etc but they may well discover new and more interesting ways of framing their chosen subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational for developing your photography skills., 12 Mar 2013
This review is from: Digital Photography Month by Month (Hardcover)
In the Winter months what can you shoot? Tom Ang's inspirational book challenges you to think about opportunities all year long. Informative and well laid out can be a joy to look at, as a coffee table book as well as an excellent 'primer' for the photographer wishing to improve compositional skills.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic price, 3 Mar 2013
Happy Kat (Hayes Middlesex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital Photography Month by Month (Hardcover)
My Husband saw this very well illustrated book at Wisley Gardens, however he decided not to purchase it, even though he really liked the great photography techniques and ideas within it. As he regretted not purchasing the book I decided to look on Amazon and to my good fortune I found it a lot cheaper.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding Book, 1 Mar 2013
This review is from: Digital Photography Month by Month (Hardcover)
I borrowed this book form the library and decided that I had to own it. Tom Ang’s style is very easy to follow and as a beginner I have found the book a good source of inspiration and technique.

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of ideas, 15 Feb 2013
A. McGuire (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Digital Photography Month by Month (Hardcover)
Whatever the weather, and any month you like, plenty of ideas backed up with good illustrative images and practical advice. Very worthwhile purchase, especially as a present for the new photographer !

4.0 out of 5 stars For inspiration, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Digital Photography Month by Month (Hardcover)
Bought as a resource for inspiration, seeing as we seem to be experiencing such extreme weather conditions at the moment.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa6a55fcc)

Digital Photography Month by Month
Digital Photography Month by Month by Tom Ang (Hardcover - 1 Oct 2012)
15.00