4.0 out of 5 stars Venice in your Pocket
I have purchased something like this years ago, and with my upcoming holiday in Venice and surrounding area later this year, I found this perfect armchair reading to update my knowledge. Full of good tips and illustrations. Will fit perfectly in my holiday bag and I will definately use for quick reference. A good price too.
Published on 30 April 2013 by garden roses

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version is Useless
Published 15 months ago by Artless Reader

4.0 out of 5 stars Venice in your Pocket, 30 April 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars super travel guide!, 2 May 2013
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Venice (Paperback)
Excellent book, used it constantly whilst in Venice. Would not have visited so much and learned so much without it and the pull out map was a fantastic bonus!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great travel guide but I prefer the paperback version over the Kindle version, 19 Jan. 2015
Mister G (Bristol) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
What is great about this Top 10 guide is that it gives an overview - it provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious - the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid.

The book is very small - the size of a DL envelope. Consequently it is easy to carry around, and to put in your pocket. Its weight is very low so it won't weigh on your pocket.

It is divided by area with restaurant reviews for each, plus recommendations for shops, bars and hotels.

It can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'.

I now normally take two travel guides with me - one of these Top 10 ones and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I prefer the paperback version over the Kindle version. I previously bought the Kindle version of a different DK Top 10 Eyewitness travel guide (for the Algarve) because I am a Kindle lover - to my surprise, I found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book.

In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly.

Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

What I am saying is that this is a great book but my personal preference is to buy the paperback version.

1.0 out of 5 stars Kindle Version is Useless, 21 Feb. 2014
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Venice (Paperback)
Proving that no publisher has yet to understand the nature of the electronic guidebook, the Kindle version of this respected Eyewitness guide is worse than useless. Instead of utilising all that ePub allows, the Kindle version is difficult to navigate, awkward to read and the maps are unusable. It would be better to have scanned in the book and presented it as a PDF, so poor is the Kindle version

There is, no doubt, someone at Penguin books with a job title along the lines of 'Head of Electronic Media (Travel Publishing)'. S/he should take a look at this Kindle version and be put on the naughty step until s/he comes up with something better. It really wouldn’t be that difficult.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good guide to Venice, 29 Dec. 2014
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Venice (Paperback)
A good guide to Venice. I brought it as other reviews stated it was the best to buy.
Great tips in there, but feel some things are now out of date already, but only the odd thing.
I was also hoping for a bit more practical tips and sadly doesn't name all sites to see in Venice.
Also names some of the palaces you can see, but they're not open for the general public to visit.
However this guide was useful in showing me the top 10 things I needed to see while visiting Venice.

4.0 out of 5 stars good, 5 Jun. 2014
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Venice (Paperback)
this book has lots of tips and places of interest in venice. there is plenty of information of restaurants, places of interest and places to go and see and the 10 best places to visit.

1.0 out of 5 stars very poor, 21 Oct. 2013
This Kindle version of the guide lacks the usual detail expected from Eyewitness guides. The maps are poor, the referral and links are poor. We will now have to buy the paper version

4.0 out of 5 stars Clear, precise and complete., 24 Jun. 2013
My first week in Venice, initially, somewhat over whelming. Thanks to ‘Top 10 Venice’ exploratory trips were rewarding as this enabled me to plan successful daily tours and routines.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book to buy when planning a trip to Venice, 3 Nov. 2014
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Venice (Paperback)
Brilliant book to buy when planning a trip to Venice, it is up to date and it tells you the top things in Venice. From the sights to restaurants, worth buying

3.0 out of 5 stars An OK guide in a well recognised series, 1 Jun. 2013
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Venice (Paperback)
Its an OK guide for a brief visit pointing you in the direction of most things. No great detail as one might expect. Not the easiest book to navigate around I found but there is a lot there if it is studied.
If you want greater detail about anything then either look for a more detailed guide of complement this one with locally acquired additional information.
The included maps are in a smaller font so not so easy to read and we found did not quite cover the whole island including where we wanted to visit (our hotel)!

DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Venice
DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Venice by Gillian Price (Paperback - 1 Mar. 2013)
Used & New from: £2.59