Format: Paperback|Change

on 31 March 2014
I have bought the 5-7 for my son and the 7-8 for my daughter. My son finds maths easy and has whizzed through the book with some support and my daughter and I do about 20 minutes before bed each night - her choice. Before, she really lacked confidence and now she is excited about maths and is also much quicker to answer than previously. These are a FANTASTC resource to enhance learning at home. They are colourful and clear. Children don't want worksheets in the evening - they are fed a diet of that at school. The other negative review I would ignore - these books aren't designed for the classroom - they are designed for extra maths at home to reinforce what has been learned in school. I have logged on this evening as both children have finished their books and want new ones!
on 8 January 2015
What can I say - Carol Vorderman is a Government adviser for Mathematics so even the questions have a little SAT feeling about them which is great - some of the questions in the book resemble maths questions written as a sentence. I deliberately bought an age-group lower for my 11 year old son to keep his mind ticking over in the Christmas holidays and give him confidence. He put up a bit of resistance on day 3 of doing the exercises but now does his 10 minutes with no hesitation when I ask him. He likes to see how quickly he can do the sums using the timer. Hes just done a mental maths test after the Christmas hols and scored 24 out of 26 beating some of the cleverest in his class. The teacher must think that she has a new star in the class!!! I like to think that this book helped him achieve that. In fact, he said he remembered something from the book that helped him do a 16*25. Amazing really - I'm going to see if there some English ones in the Carol Vorderman series as well - I think every school should sell these books to parents to reinforce what they are doing in school - I bet the SATs scores would go though the roof!!
on 4 March 2013
I got this for my 6.5 year old (I checked with his teacher whether this or the 5-7 year old was more his level). The timer is just genius - with other practice books I would ask him to do so many pages at a time which didn't always work as if there was something he was struggling with we could be there a while! With the timer, not only is it a gadget (which appeals to him immensely!) but he knows he only hays to be there for 10mins so flies through the exercises. As a result he asks to set the timer multiple times in an evening - brilliant!
on 23 September 2015
needed some explaining on how to do the sums as not quite the same as how they are structured/worded at school, but seems age appropriate for my year 3 - 7 year old.Timer is good.
on 5 January 2016
Brought for son who struggles with maths, definatly helps him, just a little tricky getting him to do it in the first place!
on 25 November 2013
Again this just shows how easy maths can really be and with only 10 minutes a day 100% Excellent well worth the money
on 20 March 2014
My daughter just loved the timer. A simple gimmick that made her want to start immediately. How good is that?
on 4 November 2013
brought this to look at my childs math ability as was not happy with school report. my daughter likes the 10 min counter, each double page focuses on a different aspect of maths and has enabled me to work out the areas where my daughter's understanding is lacking. will be looking out for more of these books
on 19 March 2015
I am using this as a refresher for my 9 year old, to boost his confidence before we move on to the next book. The ten minutes per day timer makes it seems achievable for us both to fit in, and inevitably he will carry on for another ten after the timer sounds.
on 14 October 2015
Has been really good and my six year old daughter loves the short tests. Very helpful as she's home educated. Will definitely buy more in the series. Slight downside is that the timer seems a bit plasticy - but is still working OK so far.