Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 May 2013
As a resident and author in Mallorca, I have to congratulate Phil Lee on his new updated island guide. This excellent 'warts and all' handbook tells it how it is and doesn't soft soap or patronise the reader. As they say, the devil's in the detail which Mr Lee provides in spades. I am always frustrated by guides to Mallorca which offer pretty pictures, flimsy soundbites and which completely lack substance. Some might have the concentration powers of a gnat and find them
an easy read but for me the Rolls Royce of guides is this one. I suppose the other major attraction is Mr Lee's wonderful humour and irony. He has a refreshing and jaunty writing style. Some years ago I wrote to Mr Lee telling him that he'd omitted a new attraction in Soller. He replied quickly and made sure to add it in the new edition. He personally returns to the island to carry out new research (unlike others who plough the same furrow)and seeks interesting facts and information from locals and expats alike. I cannot recommend this guide highly enough. Thoughtful, intelligent, witty and a genuinely interesting insight into the underbelly of island life.
on 27 May 2013
This guide is superbly accurate, informative, easy to read and bang up to date. The beaches areas well covered as this is where I like be. All the restaurants I went to in Mallorca, that were mentioned, were perfectly illustrated. Historical info is the best I've read as I enjoy this aspect too.
I think that this book is often copied by others who don't even visit the Island!
Why not make this book your default reading? What an author........what a holiday destination.
on 27 July 2013
Have just bought the latest edition of this as I lost the previous edition somewhere along the way on my last trip. It's just the best if you're looking to see the best of the island rather than the best of the tourist traps. Glad to see the hikes are still there as the couple I've already done have been great, classic walks in the area. Heading there in September and looking forward to exploring the latest recommended eateries.
This Rough Guide to Mallorca and Menorca by Phil Lee has been updated umpteen times and remains OK as far as it goes . Never having been to Menorca I can't express an opinion on how good it's coverage of that island is , although I suspect it is not particularly comprehensive, being allocated only a single chapter . Coverage of all the principle attractions of Mallorca are covered quite well , although you get the distinct impression that Mr. Lee finds it hard not to be quite sniffy and snobbish in his attitude to certain resorts . One is almost convinced that Mr.Lee regrets that Mallorca has moved on from the 1960's Franco era , obviously bemoaning the development of several former fishing villages in the last forty years . Oh , and don't expect this guide to contain any information on Mallorca's excellent nudist beaches , it makes a point of totally ignoring them .

It's about the only guide around , so despite it's several shortcomings it's what we're stuck with . Not recommended with any great conviction but if you need a guide it'll have to do ......................
on 1 October 2013
Never quite sure what to expect from Rough Guides these days... very hit and miss... and this one is more of a miss!

It's got the basics, but seems to have been written by someone who has'nt visited half the places on the island, and leaves you somewhat bereft of good information on a lot of places.

The guide is quite useless when it comes to providing details of the islands beaches, particularly the nice remote coves that need a bit of searching for... there is no useful information here at all. And if you happen to like nudist beaches, of which there are a number on the island then this guide completely ignores them.

If you want a basic overview of Majorca then this book will probably do, but if you want something with more thorough information pass this one by.
on 16 March 2014
This book covers a lot of ground and I thought the vocabulary pages were very useful. At least it showed me that it was not a place for a single person with bad knees to visit - so probably saved me a lot of money!
on 9 August 2013
I can't speak for the Mallorca section (which is 80% on the guide), but the Menorca part is very short, just a chapter in fact, and more than half of that is about the two main cities (and even that missing on activities like shopping). For short, it's misleading as this is a Mallorca guide, with only a few pages touching the neighbouring Menorca.
on 10 October 2015
Used it while on Holiday as a cross reference and the Good places we went to (Actually all were good ) . Were in and listed not bad just to double check things out.
on 24 August 2013
I bought this book before a family holiday to Menorca. I was upset before arriving at my destination because the author had described my resort as dull. So arrived worried, my resort was clean and nice and not commercialised which I had been led to believe. We also found a lovely restaurant in the nearby fishing village down the road in Na Macaret, which again had not even been mentioned. We visited the lighthouse which is only very briefly described. Overall this book was very disappointing and free leaflets in my rented villa were used more than the book. Not a good guide and I would not recommend it.
on 15 August 2014
Good book, seems up to date, good maps and handy information.