Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 September 2015
This is the ONLY guide to Venice you need.

Beautifully laid out. Easy to use.

Each 'sestiere' (San Marco, Dosoduro, San Polo & Santa Croce, Cannaregio & the Grand Canal) are covered individually together with detailed maps linked directly to the text.

Each section has a concise history of the respective area together with detailed guides to major & minor sites of interest (some with floor plans linked to the text).

YOU WILL NOT NEED TO BUY EXPENSIVE SITE SPECIFIC GUIDES.

To the rear of the guide are indispensable listings for accomodation, eating & drinking together with nightlife. These are also linked to the respective area map for ease of finding them.

We used the accomodation to locate a hotel on the Grand Canal & it more than met the write up in the guide. The Eating & drinking section is well recommended for excellent 'true' Venetian food & drink not the tourist rip offs.

There are also plenty of local advice & tips on how to save money. Why spend €7.50 for each public ACTV water taxi trip when you can buy a 24 hour ticket which is unlimited for €20?.....

We'll say it again. This is the ONLY guide you need for Venice. Its the best £12.99 you will spend.
on 4 November 2013
A really useful companion for anyone visiting Venice independently. Readable, easy to follow and full of accurate and useful information.
on 10 June 2013
We had been to Venice a few years ago, but decided to buy an up-to-date guide book. We found the Rough Guide to be really useful and well written. I would thoroughly recommend it for those who have been before and want to explore a little deeper (as we did) and those visiting for the first time. We didn't need anything else.
on 24 October 2013
Great book to have with you in Venice, well explained good images of Venice. Informative of history, architexture and culture. Maybe the text is a little to small and makes it difficult to read mainly under low light and there is plenty in Venice because of churches, palaces and small narrow streets.
on 14 April 2013
This is, simply, the best guide available to Venice; indeed, one of the best written guidebooks I've had the pleasure to use. That is perhaps not such a surprise as its author, Jonathan Buckley, is a significant novelist. He clearly knows Venice inside out and his recommendations are spot-on, throughout, whether he is enthusing about a cycle of paintings in one of the Scuolas or the glassblowers on Murano, or dismissing (rightly) the disappointing modern art at the Ca' Pesaro. The advice on bars and restaurants is equally good. Venice is notoriously full of very average tourist restaurants but following the reviews in the book we hit the jackpot each time (wonderful cicchetti at the Rialto market bars, memorable meals on Murano and at Corte Sconta and the fabulous Alle Testieri); all of them are keyed, clearly (if in rather small type), on maps of each of the areas of the city - very useful. And each of the sights is clearly accompanied by details on the relevant vaporetto stops. But the biggest thing about this book is just how well written it is and how much the stories and descriptions enhance your visit to the city. Hugely recommended.
on 4 March 2015
I am a Rough Guide user and this gives me up to date info which is exactly as I was hoping. Still need to study but will get a lot of use on imminent visit to Venice. No matter how many other books I have to hand, the Rough Guide is always where I end up for real information!
on 4 August 2015
This is a clear and useful guide. Despite having spent a week or more exploring this wonderful city every year for the past 15 years I am well aware there is much I still can learn and this guide, in conjunction with the Architectural guide (Richard J Goy) and the indispensable guide to the Art in "Venice and it's Lagoon" by G Lorenzetti provides an almost complete background to enhance any visit. All three books will go with me when I visit for a further three weeks this summer. There are still many things which I have so far only skimmed over and of course anything worth visiting once can always stand a second or third visit. These returns are always enhanced by the information found in the well researched Rough Guide.
on 2 June 2014
I really enjoy the Rough Guides and this one was no exception.

The only thing I would change is would much prefer having resturants etc listed in the area chapters rather than in a seperate eating section - as it made it difficult to work out while out and about which places where near to you with out lots of flicking back and forth.

As always the maps where great!!
on 21 April 2013
Being a long term user of Rough Guides I was very disappointed by this book.
It certainly provides great detail on all of the historic building but reads like a school history book, not a travel guide. Both my partner and I were left less enthused by our trip after reading this book, this is a first with Rough Guide.
There are no walking routes in the book and the maps won't really support a good look around.
I'm now looking for a travel guide with guided walks and detail provided in a more interesting manner.
on 26 September 2013
This is probably the fourth edition I have bought..essential to get the best out of a place, especially Venice.. where it is easy to miss some things. This edition carries on the excellent tradition..and gives everything from culture..and what NOT to miss in different churches and museums..restaurants and cafes..
This is a travel essential!!