I agree completely with Mr Harvey. If Android is new to you (as it is to me) this selection is a very good starting point from which to choose useful/recommended Apps.

Published on 15 Jan. 2013 by Graham B

3.0 out of 5 stars Appy days are here again!
Mainly written for the American market and smartphones, not tablets! Unless you are a complete novice, save your money and fiend a friend!
Published on 20 May 2013 by Old Hokum

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent introduction to Android Apps - best read on an Android Tablet, 15 Jan. 2013

It is subjective, as it has to be, and will date quickly no doubt. A few very good apps that I use are not listed - but that's no surprise. All that said I found it useful reading even though I've been using Android for a couple of months now.
I like using things that have been recommended.

The subject areas cover everything ranging from Business and Finance to Kids and Movies, taking Transport, Sport, Security and a lot else in on the way. It also explains in a simple way how to get the things from Google Play.

One small additional comment : As is often the case with books of this sort, a basic Kindle machine (I have the Kindle Touch) is not the ideal way to read it. (That's why one star has come off.) The pictures loose a lot in being turned into black and white and the headlines (which are actually light green) just appear very faded when black and white.

If you are getting an Android Tablet, install the Kindle App on it and read the book the way it was meant to be read.

Just one last thought - if the Rough Guide people are reading. I'd like it even better if it could be made into an app itself - that way it could always be up to date.

3.0 out of 5 stars Appy days are here again!, 20 May 2013
This review is from: The Rough Guide to the Best Android Apps: The 400 Best for Smartphones and Tablets (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Apps for a Samsung tablet, 5 May 2013
V. good transaction. I was disappointed at some of the content, as I normally buy free apps and there were not as many mentioned as I had expected. Of course, this had nothing to do with the seller, whose actions were 'spot on.'

5.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide to the Best Android Apps, 30 Nov. 2012
Mr. P. Harvey "Phil" (Cornwall, UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I love the 'Rough Guide' series and I have a large collection of them which are mostly concerned with travel. Very occasionally I purchase a non-travel 'Rough Guide' and this in just one example. My reason for purchase was because I was giving a tablet PC to a nephew for a birthday present and I knew next to nothing about the Android operating system which I now understand to be the favourite operating system used by modern Smart (mobile) phones. There are glossy magazines aplenty concerning Android on bookseller shelves but most are 95-percent filled with advertising, selling & reviews. I wanted a book that concentrated on Android and its App(lication)s. Surprisingly there are surprisingly few books on this subject at a price I could afford but this book fitted my needs perfectly. I even purchased its companion book, 'Rough Guide to Android' too.

But a book on this topic will soon be out of date because new Apps are appearing every day. Even Android is rapidly evolving and when I purchased these two books the current flavour (operating system version) of Android was codenamed 'Ice Cream Sandwich' (ver 4.x) but within weeks it evolved into 'Jelly Bean' (ver 5.x). At the time of this review it may have evolved again into version 6.x.

I have no idea how many Apps there currently are for Android but it must be a huge number. The title of the includes '... Best Android Apps' which are very much the personal preference of the book's author. Taste varies with time and the author might prefer a different selection of Apps. I have no doubt that further editions of the book will be forthcoming for years to come. The 'Rough Guide ...' monicker should ensure its success.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rough Guide to Android apps, 8 Nov. 2012
As a newbie to the Android tablet world, this Rough guide was a first class introduction to the many English language apps available. I would rate it as a must for both newcomers and established users of Android as it guides one through the cascade of apps available to none gamers or video users.

3.0 out of 5 stars Keep your money, 5 May 2013
Not a readable book and for a beginner still not what I was after as it is obviously immediately out of date as soon as it is published as things move so fast in the internet world

5.0 out of 5 stars great little book, 25 Mar. 2013
Mr. P. Davies (Wakefield,West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Need to find out where to get the best apps without being scammed this could be the book that helps me.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of two books I purchased from Book Depository, 26 Dec. 2013
Have yet to read thru properly.....just got a tablet for Christmas so believe it'll prove very useful

It came by post separately from the other book I ordered at same time despite original Amazon notification that books despatched as one item.
Book Depository were helpful in the communication I had with them about this subsequently and all proved to be fine within no time.
I recommend this seller.

4.0 out of 5 stars OK for an apps fan, 4 Mar. 2013
I do suppose the idea of apps is to introduce a way of diong things differently from the norm and such explorations in the emporium of improbabilities does open new vista's to expand the new norm. But sometimes they are just a pain in the neck and not worth a download but you don't get owt for nowt you must have the neuce to try new nuances and experiment .....if you like that kind of thing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 19 Dec. 2013
Useful but this is one of many finite books. Magazines are also a great help. Abe s Search on Search on your Android's fee but books like there are good for starters to give idears.