Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 June 2015
This book is quite informative, very well illustrated and has lots of ideas to help the development of your little one. The only reason I gave it three stars is that I do not find its structure very user friendly because the activities suggested for each month are scattered through the book in a numerical order. It has around 49 or so activities for the whole first year, and if you take one particular month, it would simply suggest activities 5,15, 33 and 48, for example - and then you will have to look through the whole book to find each one of those. Given that each month has quite a few recommended activities (I would say, on average it would be up to 10 to 15, addressing different skills such as brain, physical, communication etc.) I would prefer that all the suggested activities for a given age are put together on one page, it would be time saving and more clear. This is the reason why I do not go back to that book so often. I simply can't remember all the activities given in different parts of the book, and going back to each one of them separately is a hassle for my overtired brain.
on 9 August 2010
Really useful book to show the skills a baby should gain month by month.

The book is colourful with good layout and has easy to understand charts with simple description so that you do not have to spend ages reading masses of text. There are really good number of suggestions that help develop each particular skill. You will need to do additional homework to achieve the goals as the book does not all the information as it is more of a guideline. For example, unclenching hands and counting fingers to nursery rhymes will require you to find the appropriate nursery rhyme as the verse will not be provided.

The main thing to remember which is a also noted by Dr Stoppard is that each child's development is different and therefore take the book as a guideline and do not stress if they have not achieved the goals for the particular month. Use it a guideline / check list.
on 20 February 2015
If you are a first time parent this book gives you lots of ideas month by month on activities, games and developmental milestones to look out for. We found it so useful and you can start some of the activities within the first week of birth - we learnt lots too about growth and development in the first 12 months and realised that all these big plastic noisy toys do have an impact on all sorts of different skills both physically and mentally! Well worth reading!
on 27 March 2012
I thought this book was excellent. I was looking for a book that would give me ideas on how our playtime could be twinned with aiding development and this is exactly what I was looking for. It breaks down activities and play ideas into the baby's age by month and is easy to reference to. To the earlier comment someone made that suggested it was a thinner book than expected with not alot in- well, I disagree. This is a book of integrating play with learning FIRST skills from birth to age 1 yr - not really intended for children any older. I find it invaluable and has inspired great playtime ideas with my 3 month old
on 15 June 2010
V informative book. Used this book for both my daughter & son who have very different personalities. Plenty of game ideas suited to your growing childs needs. Each chapter is split month by month & includes games which cover the mind, friendliness, talking, moving, & hands. A great guide.
on 12 February 2010
I bought the book based on some good reviews and Im not dissapointed. It is rather thin, but reads well, have quite a few interesting ideas and explains the use of particular toys. I thought I wouldn't be bothered with all these expensive mirror toys, crinky books etc, but having read about how they stimulate a child Im going to buy a few and give it a try.The book also explains what a child is capable of doing each month of their life, which for me as a first time mum, was not so obvious.Glad I bought it.
on 26 November 2015
The layout of the book feels almost like a school text book, old fashioned and not very interesting or user friendly. The author suggests activities appropriate to the babies age (approx 13 each month) but only gives a number for the activity not a title so you have to lookup each activity individually. The activities are simple (things we instinctively do anyway), I do like it has the actions to accompany nursey rhymes e.g. Tom thumb. As a new parent with 12 week old baby I regret buying this book, its really let down by the layout/structure and could have more creative ideas. Could be useful if you are studying because it explains what skills each activity develops.
on 29 August 2006
I was shopping around for a simple & easy to follow book to keep up with my baby's development. We ran out of ideas of how to keep the play & learning on-going.

Absolutely loved this book. Gave it to my hubby & he read the whole book & thought the same too.
on 27 December 2009
I was a bit disappointed as I was expecting something a bit more substantial, and I find the navigation of the book a little impractical but overall it's ok the activities seem good.
on 18 July 2010
Good for ideas and information but the suggested games and activities aren't in age order so navigating around the book is a bit annoying.