Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 July 2014
I usually swear by rough guide - I have countless travel guides by them and they've been amazing to have on my adventures. But this one really, really disappointed. I've never written a bad review before, but I felt like I just had to…

Firstly the kindle edition is truly un-navigatable. The layout doesn't work for a guide book, it's the links aren't helpful, as to flip betweens sections you have to repeatedly go to the front, find the chapter and then scroll through numerous pages… I've spent more time looking for things in the book than I have actually using it…

Aside from the poor kindle format, the actual information is really sparse compared to similar guide books I've got on other countries. I get that the USA is huge, but this book barely covers anything. I also found it's method of organising everything terribly confusing. Overall I actually really regret buying this, and I've never regretted buying anything from rough guide before.

I truly wouldn't waste your money on this, maybe buy a more specialised guide on a particular state, because this doesn't really do anything. Also the maps I found to be pretty poor too.
This 1072-page book - the 11th (print) edition of April 2014 - is an interesting and readable (the two are not always found together) guide to the United States of (North) America. Unlike many guides, this is not a glossy booklet dotted with colourful photographs to make it look superficially attractive, but a (literally) rough guide in terms of comparative paper finishes, but well-designed and presented, with readable text, useful maps, and (well-chosen) photographs only where space allowed. The excellent design and layout means that you don’t need unnecessary spot illustrations to break up column after column of small-printed data.

The Contents are
P004: Introduction (Where to go, when to go, what to see etc.)
P028: Basics (travel, accommodation, food & drink, & other touristy stuff)

P055: The Guide (with mini-listings contained within each section)
P056: New York City
P808: California
P918: The Pacific Northwest
P968: Alaska
P998: Hawaii

P1018: Contexts (articles on history, etc.)
P1051: Index
on 9 May 2014
Nearly always buy rough guides when I go on holiday and again this is a really good book. What I probably should have done is bought the rough guide to california as that is the area I am interested in and it would probably go into more detail. However, still okay with this one.
VINE VOICEon 15 December 2014
I'm not sure I entirely approve of this new edition of The Rough Guide to the USA. I've got an old fourth edition from 1998, which I love. Here, there's a lot more colour and a lot more photographs but much of the text is still the same. They've lost some of the detail though, which is a pity. For example, the pretty Oregon town of Bandon gets a paragraph in the old edition but isn't mentioned at all here. Conversely, 'trendy' Portland gets a lot more attention now. Some of the trademark Rough Guide humour and pithiness survives but overall I can't help feeling a little sad and disappointed.
on 22 November 2014
Having been an avid reader of the "rough guide" over the past 20 years, I decided to buy this version to plan my trip for summer '15. I was really disappointed with the accommodation sections. In the past, the rough guide was always filled with excellent advice about dodgy neighbourhoods and good hostels which weren't part of the HI group. (Often HI hostels are a bit out of town). These have all been replaced by mid to expensive hotels. I like to be able to cook for myself and don't want a hotel, but somewhere with a kitchen that isn't an expensive suite. Where have they all gone?! The honest advice seems to have disappeared, and has been replaced with ads about how wonderful everything is. Has America changed so much since my last visit?
Disappointing.
on 11 April 2014
I had ordered this book in anticipation of a trip to New York and Las Vegas later this year and the fact it was an updated copy was in its favour. I found unfortunately that it did not give the range of detail I was seeking for either destination, as I have mobility issues I had hoped there would be some information on these issues but what there was was very sparse, but I suppose it was actually impractical with USA being such a vast place, so I will investigate books that deal with the cities as individual places instead. Layout seemed ok but nothing special
on 6 July 2014
Good reference guide. Rather big and heavy to carry around.
on 25 September 2015
My favourite guides for the entire world. Gives you information no other guide does.
on 27 December 2014
Loads of great info about hotels etc. Good for would be travellers
on 31 July 2015