Format: Hardcover|Change

on 24 November 2013
Although i am a experienced brewer, i had a good feeling about this book, previous books ive bought have been to intense for most homebrewers. this book sets out to be clear and concise with good colour photos and a easy reference.
although i knew most of the brewing things in this book, the recipes where worth buying this book alone for me.
I would recommend this book to most brewers beginners or experienced.
on 28 June 2014
I'd been brewing from kits for over ten year when somebody gave me this book as a present. My initial reaction was disappointment - bit of a waste as I "already brew beer". How wrong I was. I read with intest and decided that it was now or never to take the plunge to all grain brewing. If you do - you will never look back. You will also be spending about a day a month brewing. Kits take about as much time as making a cup of tea. But it's all down to this book. It is clear, nicely set out and straightforward. You can augment your knowledge on the net. But this book is easy a and encouraging reference. I've made seven of the recipes and they have all been spot on. They have introduced me to beer styles that I have never before tasted. The cost of the transitions was about £200, but the beer cost no more or less than kit. If you are tempted go for this book. It is well thought through.
on 17 February 2016
As a beginner brewer this has helped me greatly. I was a little unsure as to get this book originally (It was part of the "other customers purchased this" section when i was purchasing my equipment), but i decided "why not?" even if it only turns out to be a mildly interesting read i will have gotten something out of it. I received my equipment and the book at the same time. After giving the equipment a thorough look over, and playing around with the hydrometer (I had never seen one before.)
I sat in my favourite armchair and cracked open the book (i love the feel of a new book as you open it. When the spine creaks and cracks that feeling...) After reading the foreword and read the Introduction I knew this was going to be a good book. It mentioned things, already, that I had been told by more experienced brewers that turned out to be un-true or a little different. I did not take the books word for it in this case I double checked, and it was correct. So evidently it has something to teach “old hats” too.
Interestingly, in my opinion, this does not just contain a how-to but also offers a little more in the way of information about such things as the history of brewing, and in-depth information about yeasts.
Then it gets down to the meat and potatoes (core) of the matter: Brewing. It really offers a wealth of information. Some of it, as a beginner, I won’t be using just yet (walk before I can run.) such as it encouraging you to experiment with flavours. But its handy to know I have it at hand for the future. The guides themselves cover “Kit Brewing”, “Malt Extract Brewing”, and “Full Mash Brewing”. Each of the guides cover the processes in an understandable manner, even to the beginner. The book does not try to be a know-it-all and use fancy terms for the sake of seeming smart. It tells you the terms and does use them but reminds you what they mean. And even then it sometimes uses simplified words and adds the terms after the fact. And all of this is glorious colour pictures. I don’t usually like too many pictures in my books. But in this it would not be the same without them.
I really don’t feel I can do this book justice by describing it here, really. There is so much more to it. It is most definitely a must read for any brewer. Even if it is just for the recipes. Oh did I forget to mention that? Yes, more than half the book (200+ pages) is given to pages and pages of recipes. From lagers to Stouts and so many more.
on 1 September 2015
The book is really good, it gives a really in depth look at how to home brew and the different methods you can use. There are loads of different types of recipes too to try. My only criticism is that the recipes make such a large quantity each time I think it was 40 pints which to me is having a brewery in my home not my husband having a hobby making a few bottles of beer.
on 4 November 2015
A very good book it runs you through three different ways of brewing and explains every step very well,it has nearly ever style of beer ,lager,stout lots of oddities,with recipes and step by step guide. I would recommend this book to all home brewers who haven't yet taken the next step up from basic brewing kits,and for less than six quid you could not go wrong to add this book to your man cave!
on 19 June 2015
I wish I had this book when I started brewing. I gathered all the information about the process of brewing beer when I bought the book (Christmas 2013). I was after recipes. I have brewed (multiple batches of) about 5 different pale ales, two IPAs, 4 lager/pilsners and have since started applying my what I have learnt from the book to create my own small test batches and clones of craft beers that I would like to recreate. I would strongly recommend this book for anyone interested in home brewing.
on 9 February 2016
Ideal for first time home brewers with loads of helpfull tips and advise on how to get started, but goes into such detail and depth there is bound to be something useful for even the veteran home brewer! Fantastic
on 5 April 2016
This is a good basic introduction to the process of home brewing. It does not go into great detail but it give a good overview putting all the parts of teh process in context. What it does have is a large number of recipes covering the whole range of beer styles.
on 20 February 2016
As a budding home Brewer this is a great book to kick start adventures in home brewing. With everything from equipment needed though to methods and then an extensive list of recipes at the back, this is now my brew bible.
on 18 February 2015
I've been all grain brewing for a couple of years. Having seen fellow brewers refer to this book as "the bible" I thought I'd see what the fuss was about. Amazon were selling at such a good price I couldn't resist.
The book brings together much brewing information and data and puts it in a well ordered and sensible order.
There are recipe examples of many beer styles which can be used as is or as a basis for your own recipes.
It's not the most technical book but is a great addition to a brewers library. For the technical stuff go for How To Brew by Palmer.