5.0 out of 5 stars Full of great ideas.
Published 14 months ago by Jonseroo

3.0 out of 5 stars More 'Lego Look' than 'Lego Play'
I bought both this book and the earlier published `Lego Ideas' book at the same time. This is much more limited in terms of a general reader being able to accurately recreate these models, because many of them rely on rare parts which are crucial to the build.

Published 13 months ago by A. Burton

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of great ideas., 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: LEGOŽ Play Book (Hardcover)
My daughter and I have had loads of fun making the models in this book. We had to make the troll/billy goats/bridge scenario as soon as we saw it! We loved the other fantasy ideas (a giant, a dragon, castles, etc.) and spooky Halloween models. The other main themes are (extreme!) holiday activities and some large and detailed wild animals, though there are other topics dotted about here and there. Who knew you could make so many tropical fish with whatever colours you've got to hand and a few headlight bricks?

People may complain, as they did with the previous ideas book, that there aren't instructions for the bigger models. Instead, the pictures highlight the most interesting connections or the use of pieces in unconventional ways, leaving you to work out the simple brickwork around them with whatever suitable pieces you have.

Buy this book and you'll make some great Lego models, and, more importantly, learn new ways of putting pieces together that you can use in your own creations.

3.0 out of 5 stars More 'Lego Look' than 'Lego Play', 22 Nov 2013
A. Burton (Up me bum on second shelf) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LEGOŽ Play Book (Hardcover)

Whilst the earlier Lego Ideas book also contained many unique pieces, as I leafed through that book, each page seemed to elicit far more positive emotions, I could look at the models thinking "I'll just replace that part with this one" etc. In stark contrast to that, each page of this book filled me with more and more despair, as the unique parts are not so much window dressing, but fundamental components you absolutely require.

As an example, there's a double page of insect models and every single one is built around an octagonal part which I had never seen before. This part is perfect for creating creatures as it gives them a very organic look, at total contrast to the right angle joints that most Lego blocks create. Another double page of sea creatures revealed almost all of these depend on the exact same octagon part, it's even mentioned in the book as being very useful. Scouring Amazon, I found the cheapest way to acquire this block is to purchase the Galaxy Squad model # 30230 for around a fiver. It's also on the front of the Galaxy Squad model # 70700.

That part is not available on Lego's pick-a-brick website, but many of the other unique parts from this book are. A few minutes on that site plus a few pounds spent, went a long way to restored some of my faith that the models in this book would make it into our living room. My advice would be to purchase the Lego Ideas book first, and if you struggle to re-create the models in that, don't bother with this book.

Perhaps to a casual reader, (or someone with a more diverse and modern collection of Lego than my own) the books will seem very similar, but I found it interesting that my gut reaction as I read each book was completely different.

Having said all of that, there are still some fantastic ideas in this book, the troll under the bridge in particular is a must build. And one of the authors, Tim Goddard is an artist in every sense of the word, it's worth Googling his name just to see more of his creations in full, because they are absolutely awe inspiring.

Just be warned this book is much more reliant on newer, rarer parts than the Lego Ideas book. So be prepared to spend some money on new parts, or get seriously creative fashioning alternatives.

4.0 out of 5 stars excellent book..., 9 Jan 2014
This review is from: LEGOŽ Play Book (Hardcover)
However, be aware that everything in it requires good, old fashioned, traditional lego. All those Star Wars or Ninjago sets won't have the correct pieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 7 Nov 2013
This review is from: LEGOŽ Play Book (Hardcover)
I have lots of Lego, from my two sons earlier years, but have lost the instructions, on making the models. So now my grandson will be happy, using his Daddies and uncles Lego.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: LEGOŽ Play Book (Hardcover)
My two eldest sons are avid Lego fans hence why I purchased this book. I think it has lots of ideas in that they could perhaps use to create extra models with their left over Lego. However I think you would have to purchase quite a few of the pieces separately in order to be able to build most of the things

5.0 out of 5 stars Lego book, 29 Jan 2014
This review is from: LEGOŽ Play Book (Hardcover)
This book has sparked the imagination of my 9 year old who has a large array of Lego sets and countless bits of Lego pieces lying around. Finally they are being put to use!

5.0 out of 5 stars comment, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: LEGOŽ Play Book (Hardcover)
impressed with the price, much cheaper than the shops

hopefully a wee young boy will have lots of hours of play. prompt delivery

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
Fun ideas

5.0 out of 5 stars LEGOŽ Play Book, 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: LEGOŽ Play Book (Hardcover)
a couple of books (LEGOŽ Play Book + The LEGOŽ Ideas Book) that can enjoy all people from 4 to 99 years old. Very very cool books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lego fanatics love it!, 7 Jun 2014
This review is from: LEGOŽ Play Book (Hardcover)
My 7 yr old son loved this book so we bought it from Amazon - cheaper - for his friend's birthday present so very good!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

LEGOŽ Play Book
LEGO® Play Book by Tim Goddard (Hardcover - 2 Sep 2013)
Ł3.99