Format: Paperback|Change

I have a large number of these travel guides. What I like about them is their format - each book gives an overview (rather than lots of detail). It provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious i.e. the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get things like the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid. That makes them very useful, and a unique approach to travel guides. I use them to decide what to do, and then use another book (or a website) to give me more detail if I need that.

This book covers, for example:
 Highlights
 Top 10 Hidden Attractions
 Top 10 Children's Attractions
 Top 10 Neapolitan Dishes
 Top 10 Neapolitan Souvenirs

The book in its physical format is small - just small enough to fit inside a DL envelope (i.e. the standard white envelope, designed to accept a sheet of A4 paper folded twice). It is actually a few centimetres shorter than a DL envelope. This compact size makes it easy to fit into your pocket.

This book can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'. I now normally take two travel guides with me - a DK Top 10 one like this and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I originally bought my Top 10 books in the Kindle format (because I am a Kindle lover) and to my surprise found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book. In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone (neither of which I had when I bought this) but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly. Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

The beauty of these books is that they give you an overview, which means that you end up doing things that you would not have done otherwise.
on 3 June 2015
This book is useful when planning a trio to the Amalfi coast as it gives a snapshot of what there is to see. However there is not a lot of detail. We used it in conjunction with The Rough Guide to Naples and the Amalfi. Coast which is much more detailed.
on 2 March 2016
Superbly useful for the quick-break visitor. Good top-10 selections with sufficient basic information on the key sites. Great maps and perfect size for your inside pocket.
on 23 June 2016
Very confusing contents. You can't find out anything quickly without burrowing endlessly through the index. Instead of dealing with things, place by place, it's about where all the galleries are, or the churches.
So if you want to know what's what in Sorrento, the information is scattered about all through the book.
I can't understand why they don't lay it out like their full sized guides (which are great)...just scale it down to suit the size of the book.
Very frustrating.
on 17 June 2016
Great little book, I buy them for all our short trips, but also look online (eg. Trip advisor) for other details & options. Good maps, great advice on places to visit, restaurants, shops etc etc. Great ideas about how to plan your days, walking routes, best places to visit - lovely compact guide. 👍🏻
on 12 February 2016
Nice guide. Beautifully presented as these Eyewitness travel guides usually are. Plenty of information in a neat, small book.
on 24 September 2015
Used it recently on holiday. Very compact and useful. I liked the map and information was very helpful. Recommended.
on 11 February 2016
Bought for a holiday later in the year but it is a good informative book with map
on 21 June 2016
Excellent guide for visiting Naples everything you needed to know recommended
on 7 November 2015
very handy. A must if you're heading to thia area of Italy