What is great about this Top 10 guide is that it gives an overview - it provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious - the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid.

The book is very small - the size of a DL envelope. Consequently it is easy to carry around, and to put in your pocket. Its weight is very low so it won't weigh on your pocket.

It is divided by area with restaurant reviews for each, plus recommendations for shops, bars and hotels.

It can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'.

I now normally take two travel guides with me - one of these Top 10 ones and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I prefer the paperback version over the Kindle version. I previously bought the Kindle version of a different DK Top 10 Eyewitness travel guide (for the Algarve) because I am a Kindle lover - to my surprise, I found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book.

In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly.

Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

What I am saying is that this is a great book but my personal preference is to buy the paperback version.
on 27 August 2013
The Top 10 Rome Eyewitness Travel guide was surprisingly good! I did not buy it because I thought that the glossy pages and many photos did not make the Eye Witness series a good contender for hard-core travel. Well, I ended up borrowing this one while travelling because it was more comprehensive than the one I had brought with me. The fold out cover-map feature is excellent and the map itself is easy to use. The hard yet flexible cover with flap also means that the pages will not fold accidently while in a bag and the book does not bend although it does open flat. It offers a lot more beyond the top ten sights to see, including information on lesser-known places beyond the obvious choices! Also, top ten where to eat and stay, street smarts, green spaces and also things to do for children. Although I wasn't travelling with children at the time I thought this an excellent addition and since I was travelling during a hot time of year I found knowing where to go for a little fresh air invaluable! For a city guide it was perfect!

All in all I will buy this series when I next travel to a city, instead of a big bulky all in one, as it was ultimately more useful to me!

Buon viaggo!
on 17 August 2013
...but how can it miss the Victor Emannuel monument, possibly the biggest thing in Rome is not mentioned and does not even appear on the map
on 21 July 2013
For a first visit to Rome is was very useful. It told us opening hours and information that made planning an itinery very easy. One thing it didn't say was to watch out for 'Roman Centurians' who after you have taken photos with them somewhat unwillingly, ask for 10 euros! That would definitely have been a useful tip.
on 22 October 2013
found this travel guide to be invaluable for my trip to rome the tips came in handy so many times. I also found that having it on my kindle to easy and convient when travelling around Rome
on 19 August 2013
I always use these 'Top 10' books for holidays, and they're really good. Stuffed with ideas for things to do, plus with an all-important 'streetsmart' section at the back.
on 17 September 2013
Very concise with helpful maps. Easy to use and well illustrated. Very good value and small enough to put carry round.
on 7 May 2015
Found this book very useful as someone visiting the city for the first time. It paid for itself before even leaving Rome Airport where a person was trying to tell us the official white taxi fare for 4 people was 60 Euros plus something for each of our bags. When I challenged him he sent us to another taxi. Thanks, Jeffrey!
on 12 November 2015
I love these 'Top 10' books - they're perfect for weekends away and city breaks. They give you all of the salient information without overloading you. I now buy these for every city I visit for a weekend away and rarely have to refer to anything else.
on 17 August 2014
Easy, compact and a lovely friend to take in your handbag with you (especially if you still live in the Dark Ages and don't have a smart-phone). Had a lot of fun highlighting and bookmarking the important and useful bits. Made the trip travel much more efficient. Doesn't bore the normal mortals with long historic descriptions or useless wishy washy info. Much better to buy these little versions as opposed to the big 20 pound books which would make it difficult for the plane to take off.
Now will be lending to friends who plan to visit this grand city.
Am planning to get a similar book about Athens.