What is great about this Top 10 guide is that it gives an overview - it provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious - the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid.

The book is very small - the size of a DL envelope...
Published 5 months ago by Mister G

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Okay
Published 10 months ago by CharlieByrd

5.0 out of 5 stars Great travel guide but I prefer the paperback version over the Kindle version, 20 Jan. 2015
Mister G (Bristol) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)

The book is very small - the size of a DL envelope. Consequently it is easy to carry around, and to put in your pocket. Its weight is very low so it won't weigh on your pocket.

It is divided by area with restaurant reviews for each, plus recommendations for shops, bars and hotels.

It can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'.

I now normally take two travel guides with me - one of these Top 10 ones and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I prefer the paperback version over the Kindle version. I previously bought the Kindle version of a different DK Top 10 Eyewitness travel guide (for the Algarve) because I am a Kindle lover - to my surprise, I found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book.

In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly.

Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

What I am saying is that this is a great book but my personal preference is to buy the paperback version.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, 27 Aug. 2013
The Top 10 Rome Eyewitness Travel guide was surprisingly good! I did not buy it because I thought that the glossy pages and many photos did not make the Eye Witness series a good contender for hard-core travel. Well, I ended up borrowing this one while travelling because it was more comprehensive than the one I had brought with me. The fold out cover-map feature is excellent and the map itself is easy to use. The hard yet flexible cover with flap also means that the pages will not fold accidently while in a bag and the book does not bend although it does open flat. It offers a lot more beyond the top ten sights to see, including information on lesser-known places beyond the obvious choices! Also, top ten where to eat and stay, street smarts, green spaces and also things to do for children. Although I wasn't travelling with children at the time I thought this an excellent addition and since I was travelling during a hot time of year I found knowing where to go for a little fresh air invaluable! For a city guide it was perfect!

All in all I will buy this series when I next travel to a city, instead of a big bulky all in one, as it was ultimately more useful to me!

Buon viaggo!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 21 July 2013
For a first visit to Rome is was very useful. It told us opening hours and information that made planning an itinery very easy. One thing it didn't say was to watch out for 'Roman Centurians' who after you have taken photos with them somewhat unwillingly, ask for 10 euros! That would definitely have been a useful tip.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and compact review..., 17 Aug. 2013
...but how can it miss the Victor Emannuel monument, possibly the biggest thing in Rome is not mentioned and does not even appear on the map

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent travel guide, 22 Oct. 2013
found this travel guide to be invaluable for my trip to rome the tips came in handy so many times. I also found that having it on my kindle to easy and convient when travelling around Rome

4.0 out of 5 stars super handy guide, 4 Mar. 2013
A book can't tell you everything - and whilst we got the best tips and local recommendations from our B&B owner (and definitely get your Collosseum tickets at the Pantheon to save HOURS) this book is very handy. Rome is surprisingly lacking in local information - even the popular tourist sites such as the Pantheon, Collosseum etc are pretty much just there, with very few information plaquards actually pointing out why it's important / significant. So unless you have done your homework there is a tremendous amount of stuff which all looks quite like another pile of old stones.

This book shows everything in terms of top 10 sites, top 10 things not to miss at each site etc. Each entry has a small image and a map and a short write up. So if you are looking for an in-depth guide and a detailed history on each site, this book won't be for you. But as you are walking around this guide is super handy to pull out and read a quick description which can help you appreciate what you are walking past.

After a weekend in Rome, my copy is well-thumbed!

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 out of 10, 19 Aug. 2013
Morvern (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I always use these 'Top 10' books for holidays, and they're really good. Stuffed with ideas for things to do, plus with an all-important 'streetsmart' section at the back.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Okay, 21 Aug. 2014
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Rome (Paperback)
I chose this book because I wanted something light to travel around with and a top 10 is more than enough for a week in Rome….there is so much to look at, it can be rather overwhelming! Plus it's got a good pull out map in it, which is essential. The writing for the times and prices is rather small and condensed though, which is understandable, but makes it a little harder to get the info you want in an instant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very concise with helpful maps, 17 Sept. 2013
Very concise with helpful maps. Easy to use and well illustrated. Very good value and small enough to put carry round.

2.0 out of 5 stars My guide of choice but I should have bought the paperback version, 4 Mar. 2015
Maybe it's user error but wish I'd bought the book... The DK guides are my preferred choice and I've bought countless copies over the years. In particular I like the Top 10 format which provides just what I need to know to get the best out of an area. In my enthusiasm to get in some research for my much anticipated trip to Rome I decided to download the kindle version onto my iPad. And there it remains, largely unread because I find it difficult to navigate and unwieldy while I relied on the paperback of my 2nd choice during the trip. As a recent convert to online reading - I always have my iPad to hand, novels are a big success:) - this has been a disappointment.

DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Rome
DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Rome by Reid Bramblett (Paperback - 3 Feb. 2014)