5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!
Published 12 months ago by Bluemoth

Published 3 months ago by M. Crane

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good!, 27 Aug 2013
The Top 10 Rome Eyewitness Travel guide was surprisingly good! I did not buy it because I thought that the glossy pages and many photos did not make the Eye Witness series a good contender for hard-core travel. Well, I ended up borrowing this one while travelling because it was more comprehensive than the one I had brought with me. The fold out cover-map feature is excellent and the map itself is easy to use. The hard yet flexible cover with flap also means that the pages will not fold accidently while in a bag and the book does not bend although it does open flat. It offers a lot more beyond the top ten sights to see, including information on lesser-known places beyond the obvious choices! Also, top ten where to eat and stay, street smarts, green spaces and also things to do for children. Although I wasn't travelling with children at the time I thought this an excellent addition and since I was travelling during a hot time of year I found knowing where to go for a little fresh air invaluable! For a city guide it was perfect!

All in all I will buy this series when I next travel to a city, instead of a big bulky all in one, as it was ultimately more useful to me!

Buon viaggo!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful and compact review..., 17 Aug 2013
...but how can it miss the Victor Emannuel monument, possibly the biggest thing in Rome is not mentioned and does not even appear on the map

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous, 31 Oct 2013
Found this very helpful when visiting Rome excellent information on visiting historical places and vey informative would recommend to anyone visiting Rome

5.0 out of 5 stars Very concise with helpful maps, 17 Sep 2013
Very concise with helpful maps. Easy to use and well illustrated. Very good value and small enough to put carry round.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 Aug 2013
These guides are great....I have lots! They're all you need to discover new places. Clear, concise and well laid out.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 out of 10, 19 Aug 2013
Morvern (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I always use these 'Top 10' books for holidays, and they're really good. Stuffed with ideas for things to do, plus with an all-important 'streetsmart' section at the back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 21 July 2013
For a first visit to Rome is was very useful. It told us opening hours and information that made planning an itinery very easy. One thing it didn't say was to watch out for 'Roman Centurians' who after you have taken photos with them somewhat unwillingly, ask for 10 euros! That would definitely have been a useful tip.

4.0 out of 5 stars super handy guide, 4 Mar 2013
A book can't tell you everything - and whilst we got the best tips and local recommendations from our B&B owner (and definitely get your Collosseum tickets at the Pantheon to save HOURS) this book is very handy. Rome is surprisingly lacking in local information - even the popular tourist sites such as the Pantheon, Collosseum etc are pretty much just there, with very few information plaquards actually pointing out why it's important / significant. So unless you have done your homework there is a tremendous amount of stuff which all looks quite like another pile of old stones.

This book shows everything in terms of top 10 sites, top 10 things not to miss at each site etc. Each entry has a small image and a map and a short write up. So if you are looking for an in-depth guide and a detailed history on each site, this book won't be for you. But as you are walking around this guide is super handy to pull out and read a quick description which can help you appreciate what you are walking past.

After a weekend in Rome, my copy is well-thumbed!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad Guidebook to have in your pocket, but is it worth the full RRP?, 29 May 2014
M. Crane (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Rome (Paperback)
This is similar to a lot of DK Guidebooks that I have - very nice pictures (essential for a guide to Rome) but a bit skimpy on details (e.g. restaurants in specific areas). The maps can be quite confusing as there are quite a lot of them and the map references in the text seem to refer to a particular map. As I say in the subject it is good to have in your pocket as Rome tends to have a (not always justified) reputation for pickpockets and the iPhone guide might be something you would want to leave at home. However, I would be prepared to go and do some research (especially on good restaurants and where they are located) beforehand.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent travel guide, 22 Oct 2013
found this travel guide to be invaluable for my trip to rome the tips came in handy so many times. I also found that having it on my kindle to easy and convient when travelling around Rome

DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Rome
DK Eyewitness Top 10 Travel Guide: Rome by Jeffrey Kennedy (Paperback - 3 Feb 2014)
5.03