Format: Hardcover|Change

on 14 April 2003
A large, hardback edition of this classic story, Cooper Evans' "Peter Pan" includes the most exquisite, original illustrations, in marvellous Deco/nouveau styles. These illustrations are a selection of contemporary ones, from the original stage production flyers, to the early, classic editions of the story itself in 1911.
The book itself is a treasurable edition, itself well-produced and glossy.
In addition, the text faithfully reproduces the author's first-edition grammar, story and spellings, and splits it into the original chapters.
This books is perfect for someone who wants to give this wonderful title as a gift, to recapture the magic and avoid Disney-style illustrations. It's not a book for toddlers, however, as the story is too complex & wordy, and the book too pretty for jam fingers. Children from around 5 or 6 years of age will appreciate it, right through to adults.
One thing that this republishing of original text highlights is just how witty and sharp the writing is, and what sophisticated stories we used to share with our children.
(If you do buy it, have a look at the fabulous, glamorous, Diva-esque depiction of Tinkerbell on page 32!)
33 comments| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 February 2012
My 5 year old Grandson very much enjoyed this mini classic. So much easier to read and much more entertaining for a small boy into pirates. We have now read it to him twice.A wonderful way to get children enthralled with books and into the classics.
on 2 March 2015
This is basically a super bootleg copy. It goes straight into the story with basically none of the usual 'copyright' pages and such and the cover is an awful, crooked, zoomed in and pixelated version of the picture online. It pretty much looks like I've done it myself on the printer at home.

Not to mention the pages inside are off centre.

It's worth noting I was sent like 2/3 different copies of this book and they were ALL exactly the same. So it's not a 'one off' thing.
on 10 October 2000
I always new that there are many versions to "PETER PAN " I also new that a lot of this This versions are not exactly as the original story by JM BARRIE some of them are short, some of them are pop out books , some of them are for little kids , (some of them are Disney ) exe... I also new that some of them contains wonderful illustrations inside...and some are not .
When I attended to the amazon.co.uk I was asking for PETER PAN In the original version of JM BARRIE with magical illustrations inside . I had got exactly what I wanted...and even more ..
In this book you will find the version of peter pan as it was published in 1911. You can see here the original story of the boy who never grew up with very exiting descriptions and full of imagination by JM BARRIE .
And this story is full of illustrations that where taken from a lot of early editions of PETER PAN . from the beginning of the 20 century and they are not gust magical . They are full of life . it looks like they are going to move every minute and come real. And they are all deferent . you can see there illustrations of MABEL LUCIE ATWEL ,ALICE WOODWARD , FD BADFORD and some of the illustrations were made by unknown artist .
This book is very special to me and it is a grate pleasure reading it
on 17 April 2012
This was the first 'grown up' book with chapters I read to my 3 year old and he loved it. It's simplified without losing the magic. Good book.
on 14 September 2015
I'm really bad at remembering to leave reviews for things but i just had to for this book. I bought it as a 1st birthday keepsake present for my son. I couldn't be happier its is beautifully illustrated and contains interactive pages making it such a special book to have. I literally couldn't be more pleased with it and got a bit emotional writing our message to our son in it. i just hope he treasures it as much as i already do.
on 1 February 1999
A beautifully written book from start to finish. A very charming story that, although is fundamentally a children's book, has something to offer to all age groups.
on 15 February 2013
I ordered this book as a gift for someone after my 5 year old received it as a gift. There is a lot of text for a 'pop up picture book' but that helps to draw the child into a classic story. It appeals to all ages and both sexes.The music and pop up features are outstanding for a book. Unbelievable value for money when I bought it. Will buy more as gifts.
on 28 January 2013
I had seen Walt Disney's animated film of Peter Pan with my aunt when I was about 8 years old and, like hundreds of other kids, enjoyed it immensely. The characters, memorable on the screen, including Nana, the dog, the ticking crocodile, Smee, Captain Hook and Tinkerbell were funny, fascinating, visually appealing and the story was fantastic - everyone at sometime or other wants to fly or stay young and perhaps live forever and live on a tropical island with Red Indians, don't they? I had never read the J M Barrie classic although a copy had sat on a shelf in my bedroom for many years. A relation recommended The Nightmare Stone but told me to read this classic first. Of course, when I began to read, the Walt Disney images came to mind, but the story is quite dark and Peter Pan isn't such a pleasant character after all. In fact, only Wendy and her brothers, John and Michael, shone through as... well, normal. The writing style is a bit dated now, but is easy to read, uncomplicated and gripping. It's imperative to read this before you read Finian Black's The Nightmare Stone, which I recommend.
on 25 January 2005
The story of Peter Pan, the boy who would not grow up, has been vivid in people's minds for many years. In fact, when JM Barrie wrote the story as a stageplay in 1904, I doubt he could have known or even dreamed of the success his character would eventually achieve.
Musicals, musicals, dramatisations (animated as well as real ones) have been made but still the world can't get enough of Peter Pan. Is it because he can fly? Because he stays a little boy forever? It's a tempting thought, yes, but this book shows very well the good as well as the bad sides of eternal youth.
It's true that this is no happy, merry little fairy tale. Of course, bad things happen and villains do have to be sinister and scary! Otherwise children would just laugh at them and that can't be the point. So, Peter Pan may be a little dark at times but, honestly, I think the Grimm Brothers' fairy tales are much scarier and more cruel than this simple story.
The reasons this book is for everyone is that, as a child, you mostly see the adventure and the fight of good against evil, whereas as an adult, you can see the pitiable creature that is Peter Pan. If it's only to think "Well, being grown-up isn't that bad" - read this book!!!