4.5 out of 5 stars1,390
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 November 2013
I start thinking about how little I know about him. He's intense, quite volatile, incredibly self-assured and extremely rich. Oh, and he's wild in the sex department. But that's all I know. I don't even know how old he is. He has a flashing, neon sign the size of London on his forehead, saying RUN. But I can't. He won't let me, for a start. Besides, I don't think I want to.

"I'm going to f- you until you are seeing stars, Ava." His voice is hard as he grinds his hips against me. I whimper. "You won't be going to work tomorrow because you won't be able to walk. Get in the car."

Whoa!

Okay...I really enjoyed this book, yet at the same time, I can't help but feel it was drawn out and sexually repetitive. Jesse Ward is HOT, there is no denying it! But he's also possessive, borderline neurotic with serious stalker tendencies that go above and beyond the 'normal' spectrum.

Don't get me wrong here, I love strong moody alpha's but Jesse also came across needy and I didn't find that aspect of his character at all attractive. Ava made me dizzy with her running to and fro, only then to fall back into his arms at the click of his manipulative fingers. She was a strong, independent woman in the hot-seat of a very successful interior design company; she works with budgets that jackpot lottery tickets are made of, and yet when it comes to Jesse, that feisty strong-headed woman crumbles, leaving in its wake a molten mess of a wanton female with no voice.

However, regardless of my few reservations, Jesse and Ava's story compelled me for two and a half days straight and I'm still reeling after that ending.

If you love unconventional love stories with domineering males than this book is definitely worth investing the time and money in as it's written beautifully. Jodi knows how to deliver a Page-Turner with some interesting characters, and sex scenes that will scorch your retinas!

I will definitely be continuing with this series as I know these characters have more to give and Jesse, in particular, has more to prove. For a self-published book the quality of content is superb and even though I couldn't quite stretch this to a five, Jesse ' Lord of the Manor' Ward has set up home in my frontal lobe; he's the brain squatter that I can't seem to evict, and he doesn't want to budge anytime soon.

4 '-ish' Stars
on 24 August 2015
This is such a frustrating story line! He's so hypocritical and it gets very annoying that all is forgiven over a quick steamy session...Really can't connect or like any of these characters because you just want to shake them for being so stupid. Was hoping the 2nd book would be better but it's pretty much he does what he wants and she bends to his will.
on 12 November 2012
I really don't know where to start with this review. I read the reviews on Amazon and made a big mistake by thinking it was a historical novel. LoL!! So after clearing up that major error, I download it and read it last night and I just couldn't put it down.

Do we always make the right choices when it comes to love? How many times do we think we have met "the one?"

Ava O'Shea has an appointment at the Manor. ......... Ava has worked for Rocco Union for 4 years and was employed to expand the business into the modern sector. So why is she going? Country pads are meant to be handled by Patrick, her boss. "It is because they asked for you flower" her boss replies.

The Manor is not what Ava expected. It's a hotel (she thinks) the décor is opulent, lush and intimidating and nothing like her design plans. Ava is expecting to meet the "Lord" of the Manor, an overweight, mature and rich county gentleman. How wrong could she be?

Jesse Ward is not what she expected. Ava's heart crashes against her breast as she finally faces him. This man is so perfect, He is drool worthy, drop dead gorgeous his eyes are green and God he is devastating.

Coming out of a bad relationship Ava does not want to be attracted to Jesse, nor does she want to have anything to do with him and she runs................but too late. The bad boy wants her and pursues her relentlessly.

I love everyting abou t This Man. It is very well written, it is long (which I love) it made me laugh out loud and the sex................well it was off the Richter scale - but most of all I LOVED Jesse.

I am sure, like me, you will guess where the story is going. I know by the time I had come to the last chapter I was desperate to find out if I was right. I also was desperate for the book not to end. It was so well written.

So....what is the secret behing the Manor, and what secret is Jesse hiding? Read it and find out.

Jodi Ellen Malpas is a self published author. What a scorcher of a book and thank goodness the next episode is in December.................I would HATE to wait til next year for the next instalment.

A fabulous read and a definite recommendation. Warning: do not start this book late at night - you will be not be able to put it down and I can guarantee you will be up all night reading it.
55 comments|88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 November 2013
I didn't think I would even bother reviewing this book, seriously, I can finish reading a book of this length in 7-8 hours, the fact that it took me over two weeks to finally finish reading it says a lot.

About Jesse:

I find Jesse's state of mind unstable and disturbing, perhaps it's the writer's intent to prepare the readers for the next sequel story line since it is a trilogy, and perhaps the 2nd sequel would feature Jesse's background, maybe he grew up being brutally or mentally and emotionally abused....having said all that, I fear that it is going to send a wrong message especially to women who have been abused and battered, that it is okay to be treated the way Ava was treated by Jesse...I'm talking about treating Ava with complete disregard of her dignity and integrity in front of her friends, co-workers... not even her constant fear of her boss witnessing any of this fazes him... stalking her in a sense that he follows her or having her followed in restaurant/bars her and her friends frequents, texting and calling her excessively no matter if she says NO is quite daunting...he's insanely driven to completely and irrevocably possess Ava and have her surrender to his wants and dictates...what she can say, whom she can see and how she can dress...his audacity to move her things to his home without Ava's knowledge and her so-called girlfriend and roommate (Kate) appalling actions in allowing Jesse to do just that and letting her own boyfriend Sam go through Ava's personal most intimate apparel, is sickening!

About Ava:

Despite her declaration of liberating herself from her not so happy past, her feeling free to do and say what she wants when she wants...her repetitive self mantra of not letting anyone, especially not Jesse, dictate what she can and can't do and yet, that's exactly what she allowed him to do...her inability to address and confront Jesse exactly what his relationship with Sarah of which she obsessed about, I find very annoying!

The incessant dialogue and nonsense scenes I believe are just a filler in an attempt to prolong the pages to be called a novel....though I should say, the author's smart move delivering Jesse's shocking deep dark secret past at the very end would probably garner some readers attention and interest enough to follow and buy the next sequel....and that my co-avid reader, is honestly just my humble opinion :)

An afterthought:

After reading ALL the reviews, I pondered on everyone's thought and I begun to wonder...are there really some women who think Jesse's character whose sole purpose is to break Ava's spirit and make her completely submissive...manhandle her and carry her like a sack of potatoes...humiliate and fondle her in the car in front of her office, in the broad daylight for everyone to see...and one whose never declared a word of love, find that romantic?...really???...I just wonder!
on 28 February 2015
I had this on my wish list for absolutely ages and something kept putting me off. I think it must have been gut instinct and I should have trusted it.
I have to say I'm a bit gobsmacked...and not in a good way I'm afraid. I cant get over just how many people apparently genuinely see this as a 5 star read...it's a tad worrying I have to say.
I get that you read books for escapism, to live a story, for entertainment, and that just because you read something and think that it's a 5 star read, doesn't mean that you necessarily agree with the subject matter. If this were the case nobody would ever give murder stories 5 stars, unless all the reviews were by psychos! There's a big however here...that being that I believe, correct me if I'm wrong, that this book is meant to be a romance story? The fact that so many people see this controlling, manipulative, abusive, unhealthy and downright disturbing relationship as in any way lovely and swoon worthy...in fact described as "amazing" and "realistic", amongst others, is quite quite troubling. I seriously worry for these people that they would want this as their norm.
Jesse would and should be locked up for some of the things he does...it's disturbing...controlling, psychological domestic abuse at it's absolute worst. It had me open mouthed in disbelief throughout.
The sex is so frequent and mundane that it became boring and I was skim reading it to try to get to the bones of the story, but there was only one bone in this book, if you'll pardon the pun and there's only so many times you can read about its magnificence before the eye rolling commences. The 3 books could have been told in 1, were it not for the toing and froing and the endless repetition.
This writer crossed the line for me and instead of the main male protagonist being an Alpha male, he was just bad and wrong on every level. Ava needs help in more ways than one. Apart from the fact that she's a weak, needy, immature and sadly very misled individual, she could do with some practical help from various agencies with regards to getting in a refuge, applying for a restraining order and seeing a therapist...she's unhinged! She should also rethink her best friend choice...she definitely doesn't need any enemies with good old Kate about. I don't think there was a single character I liked. The "plot" was thin and ridiculous and you could see a mile off what was coming from the "lost" pills, to the "mystery" of the hotel...absolutely dire.
Really not for me...returned for a refund.
on 7 July 2013
OK so there are similiarities to FSOG - let's just get that out there from the start......and draw a line under it!
Yes, rich boy meets girl. Boy falls for girl. Girl falls for boy. Let's throw a little conflict in - and we have the perfect chick-lit! And there is some h-h-h-h-h-ot lovin' along the way, so that helps!
The writing is good. I really like the variety of characters.....BUT OMG that Ava was a bloody annoying character.
The arguing between Ava and Jesse is frustrating. He gets close, she surrenders, they have sex, then she gets all cold feet, blanks him and then he goes off the scale stalker on her until she caves in....again. This cycle goes on about 4 or 5 times in the book and it gets a bit annoying after a while. Why can't she just admit how she feels about him really. I mean she must be bloody special, coz I can't imagine a fella staying interested when she gives off such mixed signals. OK, OK, I know it's make believe but I have to have my imagine stretched.
I loved Jesse - who wouldn't. But his anger and his stalker tendencies are a little creepy and are obviously setting up for the following instalments.
I loved the way it was set in the UK and I loved the way that there was a music connection. iTunes made some money out of me from this instalment, so well done to them too!
This copy was 77p. The next is £1.31 and the final instalment is £3.99 - so in terms of value for just over £6 these three books are well worth the money. I am glad that I came across them when they were all released, as I cannot wait to start on the next book.
on 4 August 2014
~*~*~ POSSIBLE SPOILERS ~*~*~

REVIEW OF ALL 3 BOOKS. Not worth my time and effort for 3 individual ones.

Lets start off with, this entire series is about a psycho, could very well soon become an axe murderer with the way he acts, guy and his mental patient girlfriend who share a world consuming, heart destroying, would only be called romance if pigs could fly, sort of love. Just to point out, this character description isn't actually in the books. It's what I got from reading between the badly written lines.

I understand love, I understand loss and doing what you can to prevent it, I even understand wanting to monopolise the one you love. However, there is a big difference between monopolising their time, their heart, their mind and trying to monopolise the person you supposedly love so much that they no longer have a life, they can't choose what they eat or wear or when they go out or who they talk to. That is not monopolisation, that is ownership in which is quite obviously proved with the power trip Jesse holds over Ava. 'I hold the power in this relationship' is mentioned several times. No one should 'hold power' in a relationship. A relationship should be between two people compromising with each other. Not trying to get one up on each other all the time and then the guy using sex and thinking with his apparently magical penis (able to make a woman come, everytime, 3 seconds flat, on command, yeah, alright then love) to make up for being an ass and the woman waiting until months after she's found something out to throw it in his face and use it as an excuse to make a run for the door. Only for that to ensue a 'sense f**k' as it is so ROMANTICALLY titled in this book. Is that enough for either of them to realise they aren't meant for each other? Of course not, there are 3 whole books of this drivel.

Don't get me wrong, I actually had hope a few times when she finally had a slight epiphany and tried to leave (for like the whole hour she left anyway). But then her bitch of a best friend comes along. What the hell kind of best friend lets a man in to the house after her friend begs not to let him in, after she shows how scared she is of him, after they've seen him getting whipped, after she watched him drag her best friend home from a girls night out, after everything that he has done. Pretty sure she's Satan's spawn... But hey, that could just be me blowing this out of proportion.

However, my cringing, shouting inside my head 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING YOU IDIOT?!' isn't simply all at one character, the 'hero' isn't the only one at fault. The heroine herself is a complete M. Allowing herself to be controlled. Going to the breaking point several times and continually coming back for more. Because of love. Touching, honestly, my heart goes out to you. You who is happily involved in what can only be described as a down right abusive relationship. Getting off on making him angry to the point of fear.

The book is just too far fetched. He would have ended up in jail, for a multitude of things by the end of the 3rd book and she would have ended up in a mental home, where I'm pretty sure she escaped from in the first place.

Then he tried to get her pregnant to keep her with him forever, not in a, hey, I want to be a dad, how about it? mutual discussion kind of way, more in an ' hey I want to be a dad so I'll steal your birth control pills and coerce you into unprotected sex until it happens' kind of way. Does she know? Why yes she does. Does she confront him? Have a mature discussion about not being ready yet? Come to some sense about his unhealthy, controlling ways? No, don't be silly. She continues to participate in it all only to moan and whine like she's the Virgin Mary and she doesn't understand how it could have happened.

Anyway, not a good read, I managed to cringe my way through 2 and a half books before finally putting it down and staring at my kindle with a dirty look for a good 5 minutes.

This is an unhealthy relationship and those of you girls out there thinking that Jesse is your dream man, you should probably get yourself some well needed help before you find yourself in an abusive relationship with no way out. IT IS NOT LOVE, IT IS NOT ROMANCE. Wise up. It says something when even Christian Grey is more of a gentleman than this guy.
55 comments|29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 May 2015
Awful, horrible, and frustrating are just a few adjectives I can think of to describe the contents of this tome of terribleness. It didn't even deserve the one star I was forced to give it. Word of warning, if you are currently in, or ever have been in, an emotionally abusive or otherwise abusive relationship, don't read this book, as that is basically what passes for romance here. It shocked me to read some of the other reviews which expressed a desire to find a man just like the one in this book. All I can say to that is, I've met him already, and my advice to you if you ever meet anyone like the hero in this book is: run. Run far and fast and never look back. The story centres around a young woman called Ava who meets a mysterious millionaire who decides that he wants her no matter what the cost. It's supposed to be a steamy romance, but from the minute Ava meets her hero I began to wonder if I was reading a thriller instead of a romance. I might have enjoyed it more had that turned out to be true. If I got a text from a man I had only met once and in a professional capacity at that saying 'I can't wait to make you scream', and then he turned up at the pub I was at with my friend....personally I would be scared, not intrigued. This man bombards his victim with texts and phone calls before they even make it on their first date, despite the fact that she quite clearly states her disinterest and he follows her around, turning up at her office. As the 'relationship' deepens, he controls her more and more, dictating her clothes, the way she speaks, chases after her if she doesn't answer the phone immediately, going so far as to start kicking her door down and ordering her to take her phone into the shower with her rather than leave him waiting. He cuts up a dress that he seems too short, refuses to allow her to use the bathroom, moves her things into his house, hides her clothes so she can't leave when she stays over and steals her contraceptive pills twice. He has no redeeming features whatsoever, and the best friend encourages this, lending her friend no support at all and siding with the stalker. This is not romance. This is abuse, and it is not a nice, romantic or sexy situation to be in in the slightest. This book romanticizes some extremely dangerous behaviours. Add to that the fact that it is bursting to the seams with sex scenes which are not only all very similar to the one before it, but also extremely annoying, and the fact that ava is quite a wet character with no backbone, plus throw in page after page of cheesy trademark Berliners, and you have a book that will make you keep turning the pages out of sheer desperate hope that Ava will grow a spine and complete disbelief that you're really reading this bumf.
on 8 February 2014
Started off enjoying the book definitely showed promise however got bored at around 60% didn't pick it up again for a week then thought I'd better finish it. Skipped a good 5 pages of a sex scene just became boring story picked up at end of book but not enough to entice me to find out what happens next. Did not connect with characters felt that the relationship was an abusive rather than a loving one. Not my thing at all
on 3 December 2013
Perpetuates a myth that women like to be bullied & controlled. Women's refuges are full of women & children trying to escape from this attitude.