5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection
Published 7 months ago by Brida

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat underwhelmed
I adored the Languedoc trilogy but didn't like The Winter Ghosts at all.

Published 8 months ago by Yorkshire Rose

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection, 8 Dec 2013
Brida "izumi" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Mistletoe Bride and Other Haunting Tales (Hardcover)
THE MISTLETOE BRIDE AND OTHER HAUNTING TALES is a fantastic collection of short stories by Kate Mosse. As her introduction states, some of the tales have been printed elsewhere previously, and at the end of each tale she provides an insight into her inspiration for the tales. She also tracks how these short tales show how she would later develop into the writer of books such as LABYRINTH. Now, before going further, perhaps a word of caution; if you come to THE MISTLETOE BRIDE expecting and hoping for horror tales with obvious chills, you will be disappointed. The tales here are haunting but they are not overly scary. They don't need to be. A tale which haunts the reader stays with them long after they have finished its pages, swirling around in your mind, pushing at your imagination.

As with all collections of short stories, there are some which I preferred to others. My personal favourites were "The Mistletoe Bride", "The Drowned Village", "On Harting Hill" and "The Ship of the Dead". However, all tales have something different to offer and something pleasing to find within them.

I would strongly recommend this book to others.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Collection of Short Stories, 1 Nov 2013
Lincs Reader (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Mistletoe Bride and Other Haunting Tales (Hardcover)
Historical fiction is not my favourite genre, and I will admit that Kate Mosse's novel Labyrinth sat upon my bookshelf for well over 18 months before I actually read it. I wanted to read it, I had heard great reviews of it, but it frightened me just a little bit. It's a huge book - enormous in fact, and it's also very very historical. I remember taking the plunge and getting stuck into the story, I loved it - every single page of it. I went on to read the next two in the Languedoc series; Sepulchre and Citadel, and enjoyed those two even more.

I guess that Kate Mosse has now become well-know for producing long and quite complex novels, so I was really intrigued to find that she had written a collection of short stories. The Mistletoe Bride & other Haunting Tales will be published by Orion Books on 24 October 2013 - just in time for Halloween, and very appropriate too, these are real ghost stories - the kind that send a shiver down the spine.

I do enjoy short stories, but sometimes I feel that they can lack a little something. The story can often feel rushed, or not quite finished off and I did wonder how Kate Mosse would tackle this collection as she usually produces novels with very intricate plot lines and a huge cast of characters.

The Mistletoe Bride & other Haunting Tales is a collection of fourteen stories and one play, and Mosse has taken her inspiration from the legends of folklore of both France and England. Most of the stories are set either in the southern counties of England or in the familiar setting of Languedoc, France. Each story has it's own particular style, some are based on the good old-fashioned traditional ghost story, whilst others are more magical, mellow and quite tender.

My favourite of the collection is the first story, the one that gives the collection it's name; The Mistletoe Bride. It's one of the shortest stories in the book at just over 30 pages long, but it is just perfect and sets the pace for the rest of the collection. The Mistletoe Bride of the title is an unnamed young woman who the reader knows intimately by the end of her story, she will haunt you with her despair and her passion. She is a character who deserves a whole novel just to herself and was the perfect introduction to this really superb selection of stories.

The reader meets a host of troubled characters, each one very different, but each one with their own personal crisis.

I savoured these stories. They are so well crafted, as is to be expected from such a successful author, yet they lose nothing at all by being so short. Of course, as in most collections of short stories, there were a couple that I did not enjoy quite as much as others, but as a complete collection, they are a joy to read.

Kate Mosse has included a short 'author note' at the end of each of the stories, I found some of these just as interesting as the actual tales themselves. They really help the reader to get a more in-depth feeling about the background of the story, and are a very welcome addition.

I don't think Kate Mosse fans will be disappointed by this collection at all and I'd urge anyone who has not read any of her full-length novels to start with The Mistletoe Bride to get a taste of her writing style.

4.0 out of 5 stars Memorable collection, 20 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Mistletoe Bride and Other Haunting Tales (Hardcover)
Writing short stories is a somewhat different art to writing novels, so I was intrigued to see how the author of the bestselling Languedoc trilogy would handle the shorter form. These tales were written over several years (some published, some not), but all have been edited for this anthology. As the title suggests, the underlying theme is that of the ghost story, perfect for dark autumn nights with the log fire ablaze!

For me, the memorable stories are:
Red Letter Day: An atmospheric story traced by the ghostly whispers of the Cathars, and one which highlights the author's love of the Languedoc region of France.
The Drowned Village: A Breton-inspired tale of water and fire and legend, and one which I raced through as the story progressed.
The House on the Hill: Set in Sussex in the 1920s, a clever and spine-tingling story of love, loss and forgiveness. This is my favourite of all the tales.
The Ship of the Dead: A masterful tale of a Finistere fishing village and the Ankou, a story which relentlessly carries the reader forward in its quiet horror.
The Revenant: This is a darkly wonderful tale of the mists and the marshes and debts to be paid by the living.
The Yellow Scarf: This timeslip tale, rich in detail and history, gave me chills; not because it was spooky, but because of the way it resolved.

Many of these tales remind me of Daphne du Maurier's work, which is certainly no bad thing in my view!

Nearly a 5-star read for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Atmospheric and enchanting!, 24 April 2014
Lola (London) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
"The Mistletoe Bride and Other Haunting Tales" combines in itself two of my guilty pleasures - short stories and spooky stories! I found myself enjoying Kate Mosse's collection of scary stories, inspired by ancient folklore and legends both of England and France. And then there were fragile and sometimes eerie illustrations by Rohan Eason (I loved them so much that I even googled the artist!).

"The Mistletoe Bride" is a collection of 15 pieces (one of which is a play), most of which are richly populated by spirits, revenants, ghosts and one's own guilt. The compilation begins with the titular story of a young bride on her wedding day, who gets lost during the game of hide and seek, never to be found.

This is an enjoyable and atmospheric set of tales (some better and more scary than the others, I think only once was I somewhat spooked, reading "On Harting Hill" late at night), but once you finished, it's a rather forgettable collection. That does not mean that I did not enjoy it. I did!

I did not like "The Winter Ghosts", but this anthropology made me add the Languedoc trilogy to my wish list.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic atmospheric collection of 14 short stories and 1 short play, 7 April 2014
This review is from: The Mistletoe Bride and Other Haunting Tales (Hardcover)
"The Mistletoe Bride and other haunting tales" is a fantastic atmospheric collection of 14 short stories and 1 short play. Usually I am not a fan of short story collections but this was certainly not the case with this book.
Some of the stories have previously been published and others are totally new to this collection. Each story is superbly crafted making sure that the reader is made to feel shivers down their spine when they read each story. To me these stories were not simple ghost stories but were also very reminiscent of Roald Dahl's "Tales of the Unexpected". A nice touch was the fact that Kate Mosse adds a note to the end of each story giving some background on how she was inspired to write the story. I found these notes very interesting and informative.
My personal favourites in the collection were:

The Mistletoe Bride
A haunting tale of the mysterious disappearance of a new bride on her wedding day during a game of hide and seek.

The Princess Alice
A young woman living in the heart of 21st Century hears a crying child in her flat and cannot find an explanation as to why she is hearing this noise. A chance purchase in a second bookshop resolves the mystery.

On Harting Hill
Lost in fog a driver hits a girl. What is a young girl doing out in such bad weather? This story gave me shivers and I just hope that I never have to drive in the country in bad fog.

The Revenant
Returning home to look after her sick father, the past comes back to back to haunt the narrator of this story. Set on the Fishbourne Marshes in Sussex, this is a wonderfully atmospheric story which is not only gave me goose bumps but had a very good twist at the end of the story.

I read this book quickly as the stories were so readable. A must read for all those who like stories that are slightly spooky and a bit different

4.0 out of 5 stars another brilliant read, 2 Dec 2013
thanks Kate for your skill of weaving between two worlds , the result making it easy for the reader to slip between the two and follow the plot

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good read, 28 Nov 2013
Another exciting and haunting book by Kate Mosse. which I found very enjoyable. I have read all her books and cant wait for her next
one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent anthology of ghost stories, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Mistletoe Bride and Other Haunting Tales (Hardcover)
I thoroughly enjoyed the stories, they were varied and interesting to read. Some short and some longer. They certainly stay in your mind.

They would be excellent for reading aloud on a winters night.

I have read most of Katte Mosse's books and this one is written with the same care and research as her longer books.

4.0 out of 5 stars mistletoe bride, 19 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Mistletoe Bride and Other Haunting Tales (Hardcover)
The usual high standard from Kate Mosse, simple but engaging short stories with a twist, brings her characters alive.Make a good present for Christmas

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat underwhelmed, 6 Nov 2013
I adored the Languedoc trilogy but didn't like The Winter Ghosts at all.

I bought this with some hesitation, worried that I wouldn't really like it if it was on a par with Winter Ghosts; I'm sad to say is just wasn't for me at all. It starts off well with The Mistletoe Bride, The House on the Hill, Red Letter Day and The Drowned Village but when I started Why the Yew Tree Lives So Long I became a little tedious for me and I felt it was a chore reading the other stories, rather than an enjoyment.

I limped to the finishing post somewhat reluctantly as I thought it might improve but, to my regret, it didn't.

I thought the whole thing very strange indeed and there was a definite lack of haunting to any of the stories.

If you enjoyed Winter Ghosts then this is for you, if not avoid it.

Sorry Kate, I did try and like it.

The Mistletoe Bride and Other Haunting Tales
The Mistletoe Bride and Other Haunting Tales by Kate Mosse (Hardcover - 24 Oct 2013)
13.79