5.0 out of 5 stars The 5:2 Diet
Published 16 months ago by MariLet

3.0 out of 5 stars Content great and inspirational But .....
the problem is with the kindle version where the formatting is appalling and pages have pieces cut off the edges so you miss out on vital information - really money should be refunded on this basis.
Published 18 months ago by Francesca Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars The 5:2 Diet, 7 April 2013
This review is from: The 5:2 Diet Book: Feast for 5 Days a Week and Fast for just 2 to Lose Weight, Boost Your Brain and Transform Your Health (Paperback)
I bought this book on Kindle on the 18/02/2013 - I'd hadn't seen the Horizon documentary at that point and didn't really know anything about this way of eating. Kate's style of writing is so easy to read and warm that I read the whole thing in the afternoon and decided to start the very next day. I love the fact that she is someone who understands the 'fight' with weight loss and how difficult it is to stay on a diet, knowing that you will at some point fall off the wagon.

The 5:2 diet is the only diet I have actually stuck to in my life and so far I have lost nearly a stone; the support from Kate's Facebook group is invaluable for tips, advice, questions and good laughs too. I have actually bought other books on this subject since, but Kate's is the one I keep going back to, as the best. I have never reviewed anything on Amazon before but felt the need to recommend this. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply explains all you need to know, 9 Jan 2013
My five reasons for recommending this book:

1. The diet is fully explained in easy steps. It explains clearly how, if followed, this diet can help you lose weight easily. But losing weight seems a secondary side effect to the potential health benefits this diet (or approach to food) can offer.
2. The science behind the diet is honestly presented in laymen terms. The author does not exaggerate nor diminish the facts. Where a study has been done on mice the author points out that the 'mouse' outcome might not be the 'human' outcome. The anecdotal evidence is presented appropriately for the reader to discern and give merit to the facts. (There is an abundant supply of website addresses for further reading of much the evidence material).
3. The experience of others using the diet is represented in a series of small journal extracts. I found them very helpful as they give an overview of several different perspectives of the diet. The author does not assume her experience is the bee-all and end-all and makes this perfectly clear.
4. The author gives realistic advice and encourages the reader to adapt the diet (in moderation) to their own specific requirements. There are rules to the diet, but the author clearly wants us to find the maximum enjoyment in the diet in preference to it becoming a bane, a chore, or a sufferance. In short: doing the diet in part is better than not at all. Though the author does stress that the more deviations we take from the rules of the diet the lower the potential benefits might be.
5. I enjoyed the 'easy read' style of writing. The book was deeply informative, yet pleasantly set out. There were no dietary guilt trips or berating of the overweight. On the contrary, it was written in a very inclusive and affirming fashion that will help/inspire readers to improve their health and well-being.

5.0 out of 5 stars results are amazing, 5 July 2013
Followed this book for the last 3 weeks and have lost 10lbs so far,quite hard on the 500 cal days but great to eat "normal" on the others much easier to stick to than a 7 day a week plan x

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Worth Reading, not Gimmicky, 3 Dec 2012
I have a preview copy of this book.

I have had a long-term layman's interest in food and nutrition, weight loss and exercise, and used to work in a gym. As part of that work I was measuring body composition and helping people to eat healthily and lose weight, and I was practising what I preached because I have had a life-long struggle with weight. I know from personal experience, and from working in the gym, how hard it is for people to lose weight even when doing all the right things.

I was very interested in a new approach to weight loss and health, that is, intermittent fasting. This basically means a severe restriction in calorie intake on some days and ad lib eating on others. This approach flies in the face of the received wisdom of eating little-and-often and not restricting your calorie intake too low or your metabolic rate will drop to compensate. Both these pieces of received wisdom have a scientific basis behind them. Eating induces thermogenesis, which boosts the metabolism. Long term calorie restriction results in a measurable drop in metabolic rate as measured by carbon dioxide emission. So the advice to eat little and often when trying to lose weight is reasonable, but...

But it's not the whole story. It's natural for the body to have an ebb and flow of nutrients, and the hormonal and enzyme state of the body will adapt to this. I had the sneaking unease that one reason why people often fail to lose weight is that, on the `little and often, don't dare skip breakfast' regime, the body never gets into the ebb situation. At the same time the low calorie intake might induce starvation mode. Each mini-meal is an opportunity to overeat. So I was really interested in the intermittent fasting concept because it seems to answer some of these questions.

One major problem with nutrition and diets is that it's a massive industry and a lot of people are making a lot of money from it, yet the developed nations are getting fatter. Every week, it seems to me, there's a new miracle diet, be it restricting carbs, eating certain foods, drinking herbal teas, taking supplements, spending a lot of money on things which, in the long term, don't seem to be working. A lot of the information bandied about is from companies with a financial interest in you buying into their theories. Some of the nutritional lore is quackery and bunkum.

I have read diet books before. This book is different in that it doesn't promise miracles, doesn't sell the reader expensive supplements, nor does it over-complicate matters; it basically brings together various strands of evidence in an easy to understand way, with helpful links to view the evidence at source, and discusses how we can apply this at a practical level. It keeps the concept simple, straight forward, easy to apply, and flexible. Just like the dietary approach.

It's well written with an easy-to-read style. I found it quite inspiring. I think everyone should read it, even those who are not overweight, because the intermittent fasting approach may well provide other important health benefits.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to read, simple to follow, 31 Mar 2014
I ordered this book as it looked like the best one regarding the 5:2 diet. The diet was recommended to me by a friend who told me that there were lots of rules attached such as; you have to leave 12 hours between breakfast and dinner, no ready meals or soups etc. I thought I had better buy a book so that I knew what I was doing!
I was surprised to find how easy and straightforward this diet was. There are no rules in this book besides sticking to 500 cals or under if you are female and 600 if you are male and not to go over 2000 calories on the feasting days for a woman and 2500 for a man.
Kate explains that you need to find the approach best for you so if you want to eat breakfast, lunch and dinner and keep under 500 cals then, fine. If you want to skip breakfast and have lunch and dinner then that is also fine. She also explained how some people like to just have a big breakfast and some prefer to wait until dinner time. Basically, you do whatever is best for you.
I prefer to have fruit or yogurt for lunch then wait for dinner.
In my first week I lost 6lbs! I have been eating healthily and exercising for over a month and only lost 4.5lbs in that time so 6lbs in one week is excellent!
I am now on week two and finding this easy to stick to.
The book is easy to follow, informative and very down to earth with no faddy rules to follow. I would definitely recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Motivational, 7 Oct 2013
This book made me feel that if Kate can do it, so can I.

Lots of great information on the benefits of following this "diet" and great tips to make it as easy as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars interesting theory, 29 April 2013
not tried yet but book makes interesting reading, have recommended to a few friends and they are trying it.
Good price

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 30 Mar 2013
Mrs. M. Jones (Oxfordshire) - See all my reviews
This is a great book if anyone is looking to lose weight, I have lost a stone since I started it, the 2 fast days are easy to cope with,

5.0 out of 5 stars All in your stride, 14 April 2013
P. Necchi-ghiri "pastachips" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This book Takes you through the process of beginning the 5:2 diet in a easy to read way and it does nOt scare you off but takes g you through it in a logical way stop you can prepare th yourself for the life changing experience. Thank you

3.0 out of 5 stars Content great and inspirational But ....., 1 Feb 2013