4.0 out of 5 stars Simple terms and ingredients. No pictures but great ideas.
This book, like a number of others of its type does not use photo imagery but brief descriptions and tips followed by basic instructions. It is the sort of recipe book where you will feel free to adapt and modify recipes. Definitely the type of cook book that gets most use in our house.
Published on 9 Nov 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars initially pleased.
I was delighted when it arrived, but within a few days the pages started to come away from the backing. I had bought it to replace one I had had for many years and was replacing it for the same reason. This was probably not the sellers fault as it is quite old and with use started to come apart.
Published 11 months ago by peebee

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple terms and ingredients. No pictures but great ideas., 9 Nov 2000
By A Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Cranks Recipe Book, 20 Oct 2004
Ms Jayne T Petrucci (Clacton On Sea, Essex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is the best little book available for the everyday meal planner.It is the only one that is regularly used out of my many vegetarian cookery books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-have vegetarian recipe book., 24 Jun 2006
DubaiReader "MaryAnne" (Rowlands Castle, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This is a bit of an 80's style book in that it is mostly recipes with a select collection of photographs in the middle....but don't let that put you off! Especially as this also means that it's priced as a paperback not a lavishly illustrated coffee table book.

This is my vegetarian bible.

I have had a copy since it was published in 1992, then loaned my copy out and had to buy a replacement. Will soon have to get another as this is suffering from overuse!

There are soups, starters, salads and savouries, plus a large section on desserts, cakes and biscuits.

Imagine your favourite vegetarian restaurant in your own house!

Don't miss Cranks nut roast and the mushroom pate, though there are many others I could recommend.

I have several Cranks recipe books, but this is the opne I use most often.

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic vegetarian cook book, 19 Dec 1998
By A Customer
Don't be put off by Cranks' reputation as a brown rice and lentil institution! This recipe book has nutritious, diverse and - importantly - easy recipes. The ingredients are easy to come by and the meals are so nice even meat eaters will like them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the first and best, 18 Feb 2010
I got the original Cranks book when it came out and it is a great wholefooders' bible. I need to take one abroad now so I'll leave the thumbed and stained hardback in the UK to greet me when I return in the Autumn, and the paperback will be my trusty companion throughout the spring and summer. For serious wholefooders. Yum! Try the real Homity Pie and use up your Christmas mincemeat with Belgian Cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Selection of Soups, 7 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Cranks Recipe Book (Paperback)
I have just ordered a replacement copy of this book. I have had my original copy since it first came out in the 1980's,but it is so worn out due to use. I have made most of the soup recipes over and over. The tomato soup recipe is the simplest ever - not having to skin the tomatoes - it all goes in and what with hand blenders that can go straight into the pot, soups are soon ready, taste so fresh and nicer than the tin variety. This book is not just about soups though, there are starters, main courses, cakes, puddings/desserts etc. I am not a vegetarian, but think every keen cook would benefit from having a copy of this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best Vegetarian recipe book I've ever owned, 4 Feb 2010
I. Gallagher "Emeraldlight" (Stevenage, Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
I first bought this vegetarian recipe book many years ago in my youth not long after becoming a fully fledged vegetarian. Over the years and as a result of several moves I lost the book. Christmas 2009 my kids (who are grown up) were reminiscing some of the recipes I made for them in their childhood. My daughter asked if I could make a banana and orange trifle the next time I visited her. This request prompted me to buy a new copy of the famous Cranks recipe book. When I received my copy I immediately went throught it reminding my self of old favourites like, banana and orange trifle, homity pies and winter hot pot. I loved this recipe book when I first bought it all those years ago and I am happily going through the recipes once more. It is a nice trip down memory lane and a recipe book I thoroughly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cranks Recipe Book, 29 Oct 2009
Mrs. F. I. White "Foodie" (Newark on Trent England) - See all my reviews
This is a Timeless Classic. Anyone interested in vegetarian food or wholefood could not do better than obtain this book. It will never date. Recipes written in a clear and common - sense way. The people who started Cranks Restaurant in London did so enthusiasm and love, and it shows in the book. It should be on your bookshelves along with the usual Cookery Classics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacing my well-worn copy!, 8 Jan 2009
I originally bought this book over 15 years ago and it's been a regular staple ever since through years of vegetarianism and also after we started to eat meat again (shame on us!!). It's now so well worn, all the pages are falling out. I've scribbled on them, counting calories, making notes and recommendations, etc. In other words, it's been used many, many, many times.

Okay, so some of the recipes are a bit unusual (never quite got the hang of millet or bread without yeast...) but others are brilliant (Homity Pies, and Leek and Cheese Flan, for example) especially the soups, puddings and biscuits. Also, most of the recipes are VERY cheap to make, plus easily adaptable. And I always used their pastry recipe.

If you have one staple cook book in your kitchen, make sure it's this one!

4.0 out of 5 stars Most used vegetarian cookbook, 14 Jan 2009
This review is from: The Cranks Recipe Book (Paperback)
I too have used this cook book so much it is falling apart. I have been making the Lentil and Tomato soup for 20 years, it's yummy, simple and so cheap. There are so many recipes which I continue to use despite now having a huge collection of cookbooks. Some other favourites are the Fruit Cake with eggs (vegan), you just chuck everything in and cook, their Muesli and the Orange and Banana Trifle is the best I have ever tasted.

Cranks Recipe Book: The Vegetarian Classics
Cranks Recipe Book: The Vegetarian Classics by David Canter (Paperback - 15 Aug 2013)
7.91