on 15 January 2013
I would highly recommend this to all Diana Gabaldon fans, the shorter story format was great and the characters and plots were entirely fleshed out. This makes me look forward to her next Claire and Jamie book that will hopefully be released at the end of 2013. You will not be disappointed with A Trail of Fire.
on 3 December 2012
There are never enough Diana Gabaldon books for me. I am always waiting for the next one! This one totally lives up to my expectations. A collection of four short stories which tie up one or two loose ends from previous books. You really need to be a fan of the Outlander series and the Lord John books to appreciate this one though. I highly recommend it!
on 29 January 2013
I have to admit that I have already read all but one of the stories in this anthology when they have been in other publications so although it was great to have them all in once place it was only really "The Space Between" that want to review here. Although I will definitely reread the others at some point!

There are so many little golden nuggets of information in "The Space Between" which both clarify what the reader already believes about time travel and at the same time leaves us with even more questions than we had before. I had no doubt that I would love the characters of Michael and Joan after reading about them in Echo in the Bone but I adored the way they had characteristics of their relevant family members but were at the same time people in their own right. I'm really looking forward to the next "big book" to find out what happens to the two of them. However the biggest surprise in this story was the Comte who I was thoroughly expecting to be a nasty piece of work but who ended up being a quite likeable person even though he was obviously the king of manipulation and selfishness! We really need to know more about this man!
on 8 November 2012
This is sold as an Outlander Omnibus, but to me it isn't quite that. It consists of four (long) short stories, two about Lord John Grey and two about peripheral characters, extremely so in fact, from the Outlander series. The stories were all entertaining but suffered from a lack of the full characterization I am used to in Diana Gabaldon's books.
I was unhappy with the use of the words 'whyever' and 'suchly' because I don't think they are words! I laughed out loud at my misunderstanding at another point 'Tom.....sprang up like a frog onto hands and knees, scrabbling madly for pistol and shot in the chest'. I thought for a moment that Tom (who I rather like) had been shot in the chest!
Diana Gabaldon explains the way she has fitted her stories between other stories or books very clearly. She appears to be delighted with the 'bulges', where she can nip backwards and forwards in time(!) inserting a novella here or a short story there to fit between her books. Many of the reviews of her other works make it clear that readers are more interested, or even only interested, in continuing the stories of Jamie and Claire and family or Lord John. I think this is worth taking into account.
This all sounds rather critical but I did quite enjoy the book, it just did not have the magic of the main Outlander books. I did see at the end that a follow on to 'Echo in the Bone' called 'Written in My Own Heart's Blood' is due to be published, hopefully in 2013. I tried straight-away to order this but although two further novels appear (unnamed) on Amazon, neither is available to order now on kindle. This is a shame because I only read on kindle now and would have liked to secure the next book while the title was fresh in my mind.
Overall, I love Diana Gabaldon's Outlander and Lord John books, I was a little disappointed in this because two of the stories are about very minor characters indeed, and, apart from a 'blink and you miss it' appearance from Roger, none of the characters that I love appeared in these two.
1212 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 January 2013
Diana Gabaldon describes these stories as part of a bulge in the Outlander series. They are perfectly good but leave one wishing for more. I like the fact that she takes the trouble to fill in missing gaps and to flesh out peripheral characters, as if she felt they were lonely and neglected. Such a vast opus. Next novel please.
on 19 January 2013
Enjoyed all the stories can't wait for the 8th Outlander book. Would recommend this book but you understand the characters better if you've read the Outlander series.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 November 2014
This consists of four stories, in different locations and in historical settings. The stories are enjoyable, all but the fourth which didn't hold my interest as it was all exposition and no action.

The first story focuses on a Spitfire pilot who crash-lands in among standing stones in Scotland, and is transported to the past where he is ill-treated by the suspicious plain folks. Meanwhile his family believes him dead.

The next two stories focus on a British officer in French North America, then in Jamaica. His preference for grown men rather than women must be hidden, which even leads to him fighting a duel over the honour of a lady. In the first tale he is involved in a daring military manoeuvre with a Highland regiment. In the second he learns about zombie making in the Caribbean.

I thought these seemed well researched and lively and I would recommend the short pieces as the length was just right to read one while relaxing or travelling.

The author loses a mark for broadly assuming that everyone who reads this book must have read all her other works and be familiar with the characters. No. I've read Cross Stitch, now retitled for some reason, but there are too many books out there for me to keep close track of all the authors I've enjoyed. And the increasing girth of the successive books actually puts me off starting them. Not to mention that some people will be meeting the author for the first time and have no idea what, if anything, connects these four tales (I'm not sure myself).

Another mark lost for being so poorly-read as to believe an astonishingly poorly-read bookseller who told her that she had invented a new literary form. Elsie J Oxenham did it with the Abbey Girls. JT Edson did it with his westerns. Laurie R King did it with Holmes and Russell. Just the first three who spring to mind. Why didn't the publisher correct this before it was printed?
on 6 December 2014
Excellent read ...Diane at her best if you have read all previous books on clare and jamie
As many times as I have then you will know a lot of the story but then there is THE TWIST
Enjoy
on 22 January 2013
Four short but complete stories each with characters from other Diana Gabaldon books. Each story very entertaining and it makes you want to read more.
on 21 July 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book of short stories, although as is normal with me - wanted them to be longer! The first one -
'A Wind on All Hallows' gives important information about what happened to Roger's father and certainly should be read by all those who have enjoyed reading the main Outlander series of books. If possible before reading Diana Gabaldon's recent book ''Written in My Own Heart's Blood'.