4.0 out of 5 stars An emotional ride that is well worth taking
A well written story that jumps back and forth in time with ease to reveal the family secret and the impact it had on the lives of the Tides. I really enjoyed this book - an excellent debut.
Published 23 months ago by Mr Gideon D Stanley

3.0 out of 5 stars Secrets of the tides
I looked forward to this with great anticipation, as I love books with a dark family secret, and although I enjoyed it, I did feel it was somehow lacking. It has all the components of a good read, and it is a page turner, if only because you want to find out the conclusion, but it didn't leave me thinking about the characters or wanting to recommend it to friends.
Published on 5 Oct 2012 by Debbie

4.0 out of 5 stars An emotional ride that is well worth taking, 3 Jan 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Secrets of the tides, 5 Oct 2012
This review is from: Secrets of the Tides (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Secrets and lies, 23 Feb 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Dora is in a loving relationship with her boyfriend and they are expecting their first child. Dan is thrilled by the pregnancy - but, for some reason, Dora is torn between delight and a residual feeling of terror at the prospect of being responsible for a child, and unsure as to whether to go ahead with the pregnancy.

After an enigmatic excerpt about a young woman jumping off a bridge (and it's not clear who she is, or why she is jumping) the novel starts properly with Dora deciding to go home to see her estranged mother and confront the truth of her traumatic childhood head on. What happened to make Dora so horrified about the prospect of motherhood, and will she be able to revisit the past and solve the mystery of what happened in the tragedy she half-remembers? And when she does, will it help her come to terms with her impending motherhood and make a decision about whether to continue with the pregnancy?

Most of the book is set in the past, tracking the narrative of the tragedy that changed Dora's life when she was a child. I'm not going to go into any more detail here, but in order to understand what happened you learn more about the lives of Dora's mother, father and sister to make sense of what happened.

A good read, though probably not one that I'll evangelically recommend to friends. I felt somewhat as if all the right components of a bestseller were there, but the end result lacked some 'je ne sais quoi' to make it truly unique and gripping. When the mystery of what happenened is finally resolved, it was satisfying to have it wrapped up and discover what had happened, but I still didn't feel I understood much about the motivations or feelings of the characters involved and it was a bit too superficial to be really satisfying, for me anyway. Still - I will look forward to seeing what the author writes next.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chick lit., 3 July 2013
This was a page turner but didnt leave me feeling like i had read anything marvellous. It was however a very nice way to fill time .

3.0 out of 5 stars Question about Dora, 12 Oct 2012
This review is from: Secrets of the Tides (Hardcover)
By and large I enjoyed reading Secret of the Tides which I've just finished. However, I am puzzled about what happened to Dora in the ten years prior to the present. I don't think I missed any bits out but can't recall any explanation about what happened between her being aged 15/16 to 25/26. Can anyone help?

5.0 out of 5 stars Family Secrets, 10 Feb 2012
C. Bannister (Jersey, CI) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Hannah Richell's debut novel is based around what happens to the Tide family following a tragic event. This fast-paced book is mainly narrated by Dora the youngest daughter of Richard and Helen both in the present day as well as eleven years previously when tragedy struck the family. Dora wants to understand what happened on the day in question and the aftermath, but are her mother, father and eldest sister ready to share what they know?

This story has strong themes of guilt, forgiveness and how a single event can change family dynamics. All the main characters are well defined and realistic, Dora is especially likeable. Hannah Richell has also given the supporting characters a lot of attention, so Bill the gardener and Violet the friend are also well-rounded. characters The underlying suspense in this book gives it a fresh feel so it is quite hard to categorise into any particular genre but I would suggest that anyone who enjoys family sagas will enjoy this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars I struggled with this..., 30 Mar 2012
Clare Mccann (Chichester, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Secrets Of The Tides is a family saga told from the perspective of several characters in both the present day and the past.

Although the book is well written, with a well paced plot, I struggled with it on two counts. Firstly the initial character we meet (in the present) is a twenty-something woman called Dora and I just could not make the leap of faith to imagine a 20 something who would have this name! (and believe me I really tried!) Even as the book progressed and I discovered she was Christened Pandora by her mythology loving mother, I still could not imagine her as a three dimensional person. Secondly (and this was the deal breaker) this book is a rather depressing read! None of the characters endeared themselves to me, all seemed very selfish and when the pivotol event in the plot occurred I found my reading pace slowing, not speeding up as I realised with dread how it was going to turn out for everyone involved and why they are all so dysfunctional in the present!

Part of the reason this book weighed so heavy on me may well be that I am the mother of a young boy, and for reasons that will become apparent if you read it, this makes some of the plot particularly hard to read. It's a well written story with the places that are described seeming very real to me, but reading the second half of it was hard work and a little soul destroying!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 22 April 2014
S. Sherratt "Gym girl" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Gripping from start to end. Surprises, emotions, fascinating plot. I wanted to keep following their lives. Really enjoyed the book

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 19 April 2014
I loved the book and could not put it down - really got o know the characters and love the way the scenery was described

5.0 out of 5 stars Family life laid bare, 11 April 2014
With this book you are drawn into the lives of the Tide family. You are looking over their shoulders as you share their problems and secrets. As in any family, sometimes you like the people and sometimes you don't. They can be annoying and frustrating but by the end you feel that you are one of the Tides. The settings are beautifully described and are clearly drawn from the author's memories as she explains in the end. Well written throughout.

Secrets of the Tides
Secrets of the Tides by Hannah Richell (Hardcover - 12 April 2012)
Used & New from: £0.01