on 28 August 2013
Similar approach as to that used in the Arimnestos books in terms of narration. I will be looking out for the next two books.
on 17 January 2014
Very much in the mould of Conan Doyle's the White Company...... a bit rambling and a little repetitive at times, but always entertaining and with a large cast of entertaining characters. The descriptions of the era and life a mercenary are very well done. There is so much here that many authors would have strung this out to a trilogy ..... or more ...... and possibly it would have been better for it. An excellent tale, well written and hugely enjoyable.
on 18 January 2014
I was recommended this book by a colleague as I had just come to that moment when you have finished reading all that the author has written. I was not disappointed.. The story is delivered in a conversational manner that adds to the flavour and keeps the reader engrossed. I couldn't put it down. I am hopeful a sequel will be written, in the meantime I have started the Long War series. I highly recommend Christian Cameron's work, I am a new fan.
on 10 October 2013
This is the first novel I have read by Christian Cameron. I love books set in medieval times and having read some reviews on his previous books was looking forward to this. Whilst the setting and characters were good and the style of writing easy to follow, I found the story itself was a bit directionless. I mean what was the point of it? Our hero just seemed to wander round France doing this and that with no real aim that I could detect. I realise he wanted to become a Knight but if the story had a goal (i.e. he went on a specific mission to achive this aim) then we could go on the journey with him rather than just wandering around France aimlessly. Having said that it was still fairly enjoyable.
on 29 September 2013
Christian Cameron - If not come across him before, nor read much about the Hundred Years War. Now, I want to read more of both. The Middle Ages seemed to crawl with knights in school history books. Who knew it was so hard to become one?? By, by George, Cameron's hero William Gold takes ten years and turns it into an epic quest for honour and recognition across the battlefields of France and Italy.
The best bit? It's set up for a sequel!
on 16 August 2013
The master story teller returns with a simply fantastic read. If you have not read the author before, then i can not recommend him highly enough.
Some authors bring the pages alive and this is what happens in this story. I will not ruin the plot by writing about my views on the story. I simply highly recommend that you read it yourself to enjoy what is a great story written by a author at the top of his game.
on 5 November 2014
This book is done in the style of Cameron's long war series, in that William gold like arimnestos tells his story to a group of listeners. It's a style that won't suit everyone but I do like it. I liked William gold and found the book hard to put down. It is a touch slow in places and I would have liked some more detail in some of the battles. I will be carrying on with the series
on 16 September 2013
Happy to recommend "The Ill made Knight" although I think perhaps the title while descriptive could be better.

The book is written in the first person and takes us through English owned France in the 14th century The hero can stretch belief at times but overall well written and a gripping tale.As an historical fiction fan I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and will be buying Christians next book.
on 7 August 2013
Can't say enough about this book. Really brings the period and characters to life. Not usually doable in these books but as the author has written a book that goes through more than one campaign characters are given time to develop.

Really enjoyed reading this and after finishing it in three days an now stuck waiting for more...........
on 4 February 2014
I am a massive fan of Robert Fabbri, Simon Scarrow etc and decided to give this a go. It is a truly astounding book, absolutely fantastic in every way. I was truly sad when I got to the end and realized I would have to wait till May for the next one. I have now ordered his traitors son series and long war series to keep me entertained till then.