5.0 out of 5 stars it will transport you!
Published on 14 April 2012 by Chris Miller

3.0 out of 5 stars Not up to Heriot standards.
I nearly put this book down after the first few pages as it was so laboured, but I persevered and it did improve. Don't think I would rush out and buy another.
Published 21 months ago by Haggis

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars it will transport you!, 14 April 2012
Chris Miller (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
... into a really enjoyable place! The book is set about thirty years ago and it's great to be transported back there. And it's great to be taken out into the beautiful british countryside as well where most of the book is set. Like everyone I thought the fire brigade was all about fighting big fires. This book shows all the fun stuff about being in the fire service out in the countryside - where accidents and incidents on farms abound. masses of it is about animals, rescuing them, helping them etc. and it's great fun. love the camaraderie of the old timers at the fire station and the keen young rookie who tries so hard to fit in alongside them. there are some sad stories - I suppose there have to be in emergency services, but the book itself is overall just really enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book review, 14 Jan. 2014
I bought this book as a present for a firefighter, because I enjoyed it so much myself. According to my firefighter friends he captures the atmosphere at the station and the cameraderie. The real-life stories are everything from funny to tragic.

5.0 out of 5 stars from an older reader, 3 Jan. 2013
I found this easy reading and, more importantly, easy to remember and follow for an 86 year old with a very bad memory.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous story twisting and turning through the Shropshire countryside........., 7 Jan. 2013
I chose this book to read as it sounded like it would be quite easy going and quite entertaining - having finished it a couple of days ago now I can say it was easy to read for someone who struggles with concentration and VERY entertaining. I found myself being able to imagine the scenery and surroundings as the descriptions were brilliant. The book is a wonderful laugh giving a great insight into the life of a young fireman in the countryside. I would highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone and I can't wait for the new book Great Bales of Fire to be released in March as I am chomping at the bit to read it now!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 9 Jun. 2014
Very good book, entertaining and funny, bit sad in places but very amusing. Have bought the second one, shame there's not more. Come on Winsor, get writing!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars More please, 19 May 2014
There must be even more to write about. Can't wait until another book appears. The stories carry so well I feel I was there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice book, 18 Mar. 2014
I've known people like Malcolm Catle and the crew he worked with - good fun so I bought the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars It takes me back, 1 May 2013
I have to confess I'm biased on this one. I have worked with Malcolm for many years, not directly on his Watch but our paths crossed many times.

Set in a time that was much less PC than today it describes a world where sexism was the norm, drinking on duty was commonplace and men were men. It is in stark contrast to today's modern service, yet many of the intrinsic values still hold true. A sense of duty and a desire to serve are still strong today, a legacy handed down from generation to generation and held dear by the men and women Firefighters serving today.

I really enjoyed the book and it brought back many happy memories for me. I particularly like the way Malcolm has mixed the romantic and nostalgic vision we all have of the past with the real human stories that Firefighters face. If you like TV shows like heartbeat you will love this, it is a similar genre.

Must buy the sequel :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars memories of a fire fighter, 19 Feb. 2013
I gave this book to my husband who is a long retired fire fighter. He loved it! Mixture of humour and pathos.Much like his career experience in the service. Firemen have an 'off the wall' sense of humour I discovered.

5.0 out of 5 stars All Fired Up, 3 Aug. 2013
Great book, as a retired retained country fireman found it superbly interesting and could fully relate to it. Totally enjoyable and recommended reading.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

All Fired Up: Tales of a Country Fireman
All Fired Up: Tales of a Country Fireman by Malcolm Castle (Audio CD - 15 Mar. 2012)