5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - heart stopping, 1 July 2012
No exaggeration to say this is the best motorcycle book I've read and I have a shelf full of them. A totally absorbing and well constructed story. You feel like your stood in the Isle of Man listening to the racers talk and watching the racing. Even someone not interested in motorcycles will be hooked by the intensity and drama of the story. Life affirming and mad, thank god for the TT and this excellent record of why it acts as such a magnetic to racers and spectators a like.

5.0 out of 5 stars That Near-Death Thing Captures The Spirit of the Isle of Man TT, 6 Jun. 2012
John McGuinness, Guy Martin, Michael Dunlop and Conor Cummins may not be household names to rival stars of football or formula one, but they are legends in the world of TT racing and on the Isle of Man.
Rick Broadbent's intelligent book follows the four men through the thrills and near-death spills of the 2010 and 2011 seasons. It is not simply a starry-eyed account of pit stops, podium finishes and petrol-fuelled bravado, but, as befits the TT, a grittier look at the racers' lives, their terrible injuries and the impact the sport has had on their families and loved ones.
If you want to know how much courage, skill and determination it takes to climb onto a motorbike and hurtle past telegraph poles, dry stone walls and stray cats at 200mph, then That Near-Death Thing is essential reading. And what makes it even more fascinating is that the heroes of this book could not be further removed from the glitz, glamour and mega bucks of Formula One. The men who bring the crowds back to the Isle of Man ever year spend the night before big races kipping in lock-up garages, under awnings on camp sites and in the case of Manxman Conor Cummins, in his bedroom at his Mum and Dad's house in Ramsey. They are ordinary men capable of extraordinary feats and this book is a chance to read their fascinating stories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Arguably THE best book on the TT, 20 July 2012
Ok - bold claim, but I have read pretty much all of the books ever written about the TT. This book, I believe tops them all. The writing is almost poetic in its approach. You can almost feel the passion oozing from every chapter as the author conveys the main protagonists (Dunlop, cummins, Martin & mcguinness).
It charts the 2010/11 Races and interchanges between the 2 very well. Each of the races are covered, though rather than have a blow by blow account of the race in commentary format, the text is well written enough to maintain your interest whilst egging you to read on.
I really was impressed by this book. It even charted a number of facts about both the riders and the race itself that I had not heard of before.
An excellent read; one which I feel any bike fan must read. Even if you have no interest in this great sport - read this regardless!

5.0 out of 5 stars That near death thing, 1 July 2012
As a very keen enthusiast of the IOM TT for at least 50 years,this book is probably the most intriguing insight into what the riders go through during TT fortnight.Exceptionally well written and unputdownable.Rick Broadbent is to be congratulated on his ability to capture the spirit of the TT.

5.0 out of 5 stars a captivating read, 12 Nov. 2012
S. Pope (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
If you're a fan of the TT and have watched 'TT:3D' a handful of times then this book is for you.
It covers the same years' TT races as the movie only obviously in more detail.

The interviews the author had with John McGuinness in particular were my favourite parts of the book. Considering I hadn't seen this book advertised anywhere I was very pleasantly surprised with it and if there were ten stars I'd give it a full ten.

It goes into my top three favourite books without a doubt. I'll try not to use the old cliche "I couldn't put it down" but it rings true as I finished this book in record time.
That's not to say it was short, anything but. I just really enjoyed reading it and I'd highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly great, 7 Sept. 2012
Mr. G. M. Doherty (London) - See all my reviews
As an annual visitor to the TT I was curious enough to read this book albeit with limited expectations. A lot of bike books i have read to date have been average. This however really grew on me, the characters followed are very different, the contrast between Guy Martin and John McGuinness really add depth to the pictures of the racers involved

Highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 14 Jun. 2012
Just finished reading this on my return from the 2012 TT. Really interesting read and good to get to know a bit about the riders we have been watching charging round the Island. Would recommend to other readers to try and get out to the Island to experience the racing for real, even my five year old son is hooked.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 15 Oct. 2012
Brilliant book, definitely worth the money, you won't be able to put it down! A must for any road racing fan!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written insight to the TT, 20 Nov. 2013
This review is from: That Near Death Thing: Inside the Most Dangerous Race in the World (Paperback)
Having read numerous motorcycling biographies, some tending to be rather shallow lists of race results, I stumbled across this title via another review.
Not being familiar with the author I found it insightful, well written and knowledgeable. Despite the fact most reader with an interest of the TT will know the outcome of the seasons (is 1 week a season?) featured, it doesn't detract. Recommended
I'm now keen to check out the authors other titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars An exceptional book, 11 Feb. 2013
jem (New Forest, UK) - See all my reviews
This book was given to me by my son for Christmas. For a start it was great to have a proper hard cover book. I don't get on very well with paperbacks.
I have had an interest in the TT for years, but my interest was intensified by the film TT3D: Closer to the Edge about the 2010 races and then I became friendly with a girl who lives on the Rock, as she calls it, and the two together were enough to persuade me to go myself last year, 2012. It was an amazing experience and I shall be going again this year.
So I knew all about 2010 and 2012, but but less about 2011 and this book supplied all the answers. It is beautifully written and it's been a long time since I had a book I was so reluctant to put down. The author is the Chief Sports Writer for The Times and he has a true journalist's ability to delve beyond the obvious, but beyond that I love the style in which he writes. I feel I know the riders he focuses on in particular quite intimately now and I am really looking forward seeing them again in June.
I would recommend this book to any fan of the TT, but more than that to any sports fan who enjoys a well-written book and wants to widen his horizons. It is truly exceptional.

That Near Death Thing: Inside the Most Dangerous Race in the World