5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, charming, leaves you feeling warm
I absolutely adored this book, I often read chick lit but would rare few again- this is one I will read again. The book is split into a three way narrative that is incredibly clever and allows the book to flow seamlessly along the plot line while telling the events from the characters view points as they happen.

Steph is a girl who is trying to win back her...
Published 19 months ago by cat

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok
It took me a while to get into this one, but I persevered and was quite into it by the end. I would say it was slow to get the hook from me. I was really tempted to stop for more than half the book. I would have added another half star if I could, but just couldn't go to 3 for me.
Published 2 months ago by SandyF

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny, charming, leaves you feeling warm, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Boot Camp (Kindle Edition)

Steph is a girl who is trying to win back her ex-boyfriend by losing a few pounds, she is a character that you can really relate to and have empathy for. Like most women she doesn't see herself as beautiful but instead has let other people's comments grind her down and she needs picking up and to find out what she a) wants and b) deserves. Vicki is a mother of three who has had a bad time and is struggling to cope with her secret, finding time for herself and deal with the past. She is also desperate to succeed for her boys and show a warm side to being a mother while still maintaining who you are and not losing yourself as 'mum'. The third narrative is from Darcy who on the outside has it all, but in her world things are going wrong and is has lost what she wants and what she values.

Mix the three narrative characters with two sexy army men (who aren't leeches) and a martial arts trainer who likes the perks of his job a little too much, a bride to be, poor food and conditions as well as a massive snow storm you get the sheer pleasure that is this book. It is a delightful, easy read that is comical and fun while maintaining sensitivity and realism to events when required.

I loved it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun read, 30 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Boot Camp (Kindle Edition)
Excellent characters in a setting which many of us should perhaps visit to get fit! The story was warm, funny, touching - love the fact that the author actually put herself through it so she could write from experience. This is the first Kate Harrison book I have read but will certainly read more.

5.0 out of 5 stars A real holiday read, 14 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Boot Camp (Kindle Edition)
Great characters and twists through this book. Loved it Kate! It gave a real sense of what a bootcamp was like in a light and frolicing sense.

4.0 out of 5 stars Kate Harrison at her usual warm and humerous brilliance, 8 Sep 2012
This review is from: The Boot Camp (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book. I have read all of Kate's secret shopper series, and this book contains all of kates obvious love and understanding of all her characters. I love the fact that you really get to know and understand every character in minute detail. They become your friends.
This book also is very good at making you feel guilty at not having done any exercise and makes you want to get out there and have a go.
If you like Kate Harrison you'll love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boot Camp - an enjoyable read, 18 April 2013
This review is from: The Boot Camp (Kindle Edition)
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I could empathise with some of the characters who enrol for the Boot Camp for a variety of reasons, not all weight related. As they work through their various issues you can feel for them; I am not sure I could survive in a Boot Camp environment so was glad I was just reading about it. The author did attend one for research purposes so "hats off to her"!! The setting was great, it was well written, enjoyable, humorous and entertaining. Having read this book I will now try some of Kate Harrison's other novels.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost makes me want to sign up for one..., 5 Jan 2013
Sharon (Wiltshire) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Boot Camp (Paperback)
After the new year excesses, although I have to admit I was pretty restrained this year, I'm sure that many of us could use a bit of a kick up the rear end to get ourselves off the couch to work off those extra calories. Although I don't think I would be brave enough to sign up for the Boot Camp as the three main characters in the book, Steph, Darcy and Vicki, do.

They each have their own reasons for being there, and couldn't be more different from each other if they tried, but in each other they find a kindred spirit to make the whole experience a lot more bearable.

Steph has decided that she needs the services of the boot camp to help her lose weight to show her ex, Steve, what he's missing out on since he dumped her...

When Vicki's sister enter her into a competition, as she thought Vicki deserved some pampering, I don't think she realised that this was not a spa so pampering is the last thing that Vicki will be getting during her six days at the camp.

Whereas Darcy was signed up for this by her agent to whip her into shape to re-launch her career and show TV companies that she can compete with the younger presenters...

As for the two instructors, as they are both ex-army, there is no way that these ladies will get off lightly. Staff Pepper and Staff Ryan stand for no nonsense and really put the ladies through the most intense exercise regimes that they could ever have imagined, it will be a miracle if they survive the six days in one piece...

I'd previously read all of The Secret Shopper books but the Boot Camp is the first standalone book by Kate Harrison that I'd read. It's a story full of really interesting characters, not just Steph, Vicki and Darcy, and I'm sure that there is one that could be you... certainly for me I could certainly relate to Steph as she's the one the most like me!

I have to confess the more I read of this book the more I was mightily relieved that I was just reading about the exercises and not doing them myself as they sounded painful! The descriptions were so realistic and it was only after reading the acknowledgements at the back that I discovered that Ms Harrison had attended a boot camp herself... that's certainly taking research to the absolute extreme.

Overall this is a really enjoyable book to read and it's almost, I did say almost, made me think about doing something like this myself to kick start my new year resolution of losing weight and getting fitter.

4.0 out of 5 stars Booty-licious!, 31 Aug 2012
Chloe S "Chick Lit Chloe" (Berkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Boot Camp (Paperback)
The Boot Camp tells the story of a group of women who all decide to go to a boot camp in the middle of nowhere to desperately lose weight! They are under the strict instruction of the ex-army leaders Staff Pepper and Staff Ryan, one mean and one friendly, and the men really do put the ladies through their paces. There is Steph, who has gone to the camp to lose weight and prove to her ex-boyfriend Steve that she really is worthy of his love; Vicki who won the space in camp in a competition but wasn't quite prepared for the lack of luxury she was expecting... then tthere's a television presenter, bride to be and her mother, and some hardcore camp go-ers thrown in as well... it's going to be a week of pain, but will it be worth it?

I really enjoyed the premise of this book, and found out after reading it that Kate actually attended a boot camp herself before writing the book to give it an authentic feel for the readers, and so she could actually know what she was writing about! A boot camp isn't something that I could see myself doing if I'm honest, too much like hard work lol but I was curious to read a book set at one, just to see if it is as bad as I was imagining! Kate tells the story through the multiple narratives of several of the characters, but my favourite by far was Steph, the lady doing it to try and win back her (pig of an) ex boyfriend, and prove she isn't just a fat chef even though she isn't actually sure that she is. After a few days, Steph starts to wonder if she's worth more than Steve, but can't bring herself to see that she is special. The other females each have their own insecurities, and these too are very well written, I myself felt the same things as many of them did!

The male characters in the book, Staff Pepper and Staff Ryan are fantastic, both hard army men who want the best for the women but are both very different in their approaches. You could tell from reading that Harrison had done her research, from the exercises involved and described within the book, to the small snippets of facts throughout as well, that made it entertaining to read. I felt really sorry for most of the female characters who were struggling with the pace, I know I would and their pain felt realistic enough to put me off ever going through a boot camp myself! I also liked the setting and the way the boot camp seems to go to pot as the book goes on, there are definite laughs in here, and I felt so sorry for Edie who ran the camo, ditzy but a kind heart!

Overall, this was a really enjoyable stand alone novel from Kate Harrison that I really enjoyed reading, and would recommend to those who have enjoyed reading her other books in the past. With a cast of likeable characters, including a few you'll love to hate as well, there is certainly something in there for everyone and I found it an easy book to pick up and put down every ight, and be able to carry on with the story. I finished the book in a couple of days and really enjoyed every page. From Steph to Vicki to Staff Ryan, I felt for all the characters who all have their own issues, and are using boot camp to work through them in different ways. It's a really great book, and a fun one to take on your summer holidays as you're sitting there sipping cocktails by the pool being lazy!

2.0 out of 5 stars Ok, 31 May 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Grat Chick read!, 30 May 2014
Loved it!

Great read and a good story which gently unfolds as the book progresses.

Will keep and probably, no definately read again!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hilarious and Emotional, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Boot Camp (Paperback)
Loved every minute of this. Bought it after ready the Secret Shoppers Revenge and I was not disappointed. Well written.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Boot Camp
The Boot Camp by Kate Harrison (Paperback - 3 Jan 2013)
5.59