Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 January 2005
I started to read this book without any real expectations. But once I started to get to know the characters, I found that I couldn't put it down. Not only does it deal with politics, culture and history (especially with regards to apartheid in South Africa and the situation in Palestine which is mentioned briefly), but it combines this with characters who I felt I could really identify with. Gabby, Nathalie, Charmaine and Rianne really got into my heart, and I found myself praying for Rianne and Riitho to have a happy ending.
Don't be put off if the beginning doesn't draw you in - it took me a while to really get into the story, but it's so worth it once you do.
on 28 April 2012
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book, but it was recommended to me, so I decided to give it a go. The beginning drew me in immediately, although as an ex- Enid Blyton and Chalet School reader I would have liked more of the story to be about their time at boarding school!
The characters were well-written, both having positive and negative traits, so my opinions changed throughout the book, for example I really liked Gabby at the beginning, but found her annoying towards the end, because of her transformation and every other character's constant comments about how 'perfect' she and her life were.
There were several things that disappointed me about this book. At times the characters, such as Nael, changed his feelings completely within the space of one sentence, which after years of not feeling that way seemed too hurried to be believable. I also found part of the ending unnecessary. From the first few chapters I had predicted how the love story would end, but the other twist in the last few chapters left me feeling frustrated because it did not add anything to the story, and there was not enough of the book left to round it off properly.
However, I do think the book could have been perhaps 100 pages shorter, because by the end I was getting a bit tired of it, some of the smaller events could have been removed without taking away from the general plot. At the same time, I felt that some things were missed out, and the jumping from one year to three years in the future was confusing - perhaps the book would have been better split into two or three volumes.
on 15 June 2012
This book was a random choice for me on holiday I just picked it up and thought it looked ok but maybe a bit chick lit looking for my liking but thought why not try it out. I actually really enjoyed it! It combined the right balance of romance, drama, tension, great characters and politics to make the book really enjoyable! It is a fabulous novel to take on holiday or to curl up with on a rainy day. Once you start it is addictive. It is well paced and just the right length. If you like penny vincenzi or susan howatch then I think you will probably like this book as it is similar in a way to that style of writing
on 26 July 2004
Sundowners is one of the best books I've ever read. It is beautifully written and very hard to put down. I strongly recommend it to everyone. I loved the variety of themes in the book including a central romance, apartheid and the love of 4 friends which lasts a lifetime. If I could have given it more stars a would have.
on 13 September 2011
Terrific page turner; this author can build a compelling world and characters that you engage with and I loved being in the middle of this book.

BUT, as with her other books, this author always leaves more loose ends than a pom pom. While it was a great read, it is undermined by the final chapters which leave the reader unsatisfied. The story was completed with hurried narration. You can tell this author loves to write and can build a compelling world, but along the way she leaves so much hanging without so much as a reference. You could say, 'well life has a lot of loose ends and the main love story was concluded' - but this is a work of fiction and a truly great story teller would craft their work so that it felt more 'complete'. This was more 'down tools'.
on 10 February 2013
This is my all time favourite book! I love it and recommend it to anybody who enjoys to read, regardless of their preferred genre... it is more then just a chick book as it combines romance with real life history and culture with a touch into cultural politics. You grow to love each and every character in the book and look forward to following them further into their journeys through life. I am not normally someone who re-reads books as I don't like to know what is going to happen, but I have read this book 3 times so far and will definitely pick it up again in the future! The first Lesley Lokko book I have read and will buy more of her books based purely on how much I enjoyed 'Sundowners'!
on 4 August 2013
I had previously read One Secret Summer by Lesley Lokko and had really enjoyed it on holiday. I was not let down by Sundowners. It was chick lit with a brain and reminded me a lot of Sidney Sheldon's writing.

The story follows 4 girls who meet at a boarding school and follows their different lives while still staying friends. The characters are well written and there is just the right balance between romance, sex, politics, drama, fashion, glamorous locations and story.

I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to be totally absorbed by a well written, well researched novel that is easy to read and yet makes you think at the same time.
on 14 June 2012
Hi to all you bookworm's out there, if your reading this review, it means you have a love of books, just like myself. Ocassionally you come across a book and you're wondering whether it will be worth a good read or not as you pick it up from the shelves in your local bookstore, well I can highly recommend this book. I can't praise it enough. Go on treat yourself either in a paperback form or you can download it on to kindle(21st century), you know you want too. I must say a hugh Thank you to Lesley Lokko for writing such a lovely book.
on 5 February 2013
I read this book 8 years ago. I had never heard of Lesley Lokko and bought it at the airport to take on holiday. I have never enjoyed a book so much - it had everything I wanted in a holiday read and I lent it to others at the hotel. Now 8 years later, I have the urge to read it again so I bought it......but first I lent it to a friend and told her it would be the best book she would ever read............ I have read all Lesley Lokko's books since then. I am going on holiday in a few days and will take it with me.
on 3 May 2013
I love this book, I could read it again and again (and I have!)

My mind wanders back to this book a lot. I think about it more than I thought I would. It really sucked me in to the world of the characters - and made me want to design underwear.

Ok, so it's a long book. It usually takes me about a week to finish it, sometimes a week and a half. But it's perfect for summer, perhaps for the beach or park or even your garden.