5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fabulous...
Published on 12 July 2012 by Best Crime Books

3.0 out of 5 stars The Long Weekend
I read this over two days and though the story was quiet entertaining at times, its not a book I would recommend.
Published 16 months ago by Costello

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely fabulous..., 12 July 2012
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Long Weekend (Kindle Edition)
The last book of Veronica Henry's that I read was The Beach Hut which I absolutely loved. Veronica has a way of telling many stories in one book without you feeling overwhelmed. In The Beach Hut she managed it flawlessly. She has taken the same writing style and done it again, but even better with her latest release The Long Weekend. We start sedately by meeting the main focus of the story which is Claire Marlowe and her partner Luca who own a very high end hotel named The Townhouse by the Sea. I instantly loved Claire and to be frank, despised her smarmy boyfriend Luca. In a matter of a few chapters I felt myself longing to visit this place. It sounded glorious and to be honest somewhere that I would have stayed at in a heartbeat.

After the initial introductions we are introduced to the other characters that feature in the book almost as mini short stories combined. We meet Laura and Dan, young adults on their first weekend away with family secrets to uncover. There is Nick and his stag party who have no idea that their arrival will change many lives following the weekend. We also see Angelica, one of the staff members, and Trevor and Monique who are investors in the hotel.

I found myself utterly absorbed in each character and their troubles. It's hard to be more specific than this without spoiling the story so I won't elaborate. Somehow, Veronica Henry manages to whisk you away with all of the characters and I was irritated when I had to stop reading to do the `proper' things like work or cook. It truly is a great thing when you find a book that you don't want to put down and this book was a great example of that. The writing style was easy, the story absorbing and at the same time gripping as well as the fact that I just could NOT put the thing down. Read in a day and a truly wonderful book that I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a lovely find...., 17 July 2012
This review is from: The Long Weekend (Kindle Edition)
I read this book after reading a short story by the author in a magazine recently, and then reading the other reviews for it. I'm so, so glad I did - I absolutely loved it. I'm not generally a "chick lit" sort of person but this ticked all the boxes - great story, very well written, fabulous characters; I loved them all. It was fairly obvious what was going to happen at the end, but she did have me guessing for a while. Having recently read some dreadful books (50 shades being the worst) and some difficult books (Madeleine, which I am still trying to read but having to stop often because it's so heartbreaking), this was an absolutely gorgeous find and I will now search out Veronica Henry's other books. Wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bit of that for me, please!, 11 July 2012
J. Harper "Jenny Harper" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Long Weekend (Paperback)
Who ever would have thought so much could be packed into a weekend - even a long one?

Veronica Henry's characters are engaging from the start, and although there's a big cast list here, I was caught up by every one of them. Each has his or her own dilemma and we can really empathise with them. For some reason, it's Colin who is staying in my head. He's the wealthy baker whose one mistake in life was to father a child by someone at a time his own wife was sunk in a deep, dark depression. There's no way to make quick moral judgements here. He knows what he did was wrong, but his marriage was in a difficult place at the time and he has been trying to do the right thing ever since - paying for his daughter's upkeep and making sure he sees Chelsey once a year. Poor Chelsey is plump and puddingy, but he still loves her and wants to do the right thing by her. Facing his wife, Alison, with the truth is perhaps the hardest thing he has ever done, but this part of the story, too, is brilliantly told.

There are many strands in this book, though, not just Colin and young Chelsey's story - and each one is lively, rounded and compelling. And the setting is sublime - who wouldn't yearn for a weekend in those sumptuous bedrooms, eating Luca's fabulous food? And who could fail to warm to Nick Barnes and his divine brothers?

I really recommend this book, it's easy to read and hugely enjoyable.

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect Summer read..., 23 July 2012
C. Rucroft "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Long Weekend (Paperback)
I have read two Veronica Henry's before - The Beach Hut and The Garden Party - and I didn't particularly like either of them! I was drawn to this one because of the cover. It just screams Summer!

This book follows a number of character's stories but the main character is Claire, who owns the hotel where all the 'long weekends' happen. My favourite of all the characters was Colin and his daughter. I just loved that story. Don't be misled into thinking this is a light and frothy story either. It's much more than that.

I love how Henry has taken us into the back story of some of the character's lives and the book is so well written. All their stories really do come together and I found myself racing through this book. There was never a dull moment and I didn't want to put it down.

This is a brilliant book that I loved and I will certainly be looking for more of Henry's books in the future.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Long Weekend, 28 Feb 2013

2.0 out of 5 stars Fairly poor, 24 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Long Weekend (Kindle Edition)
Strangely, I enjoyed reading this, and it is easy to read, BUT - I was expecting more given the reviews of others? Pretty much by the end of the first chapter you know where it's going? Hey, thank goodness for diversity - if we were all the same, the world we be a far less rich place?

2.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, 7 Nov 2012
J. Charlton (Vevey Switzerland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Long Weekend (Paperback)
If you have read Love on the Rocks then no need reading this one....really annoying that when some authors get published they then just churn out novels by just changing the names and the locations. Like Love on the Rocks this one is also set in a coastal town in the west country and also has a young couple running a hotel. A big disappointment from an author who can do better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 July 2012
Mbwest "margaretbwest" (Norwich England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Long Weekend (Paperback)
My what a lovely story - so much happening I feel as though I am at the Hotel just listening and watching every moment of the staff and Guests. Its a wonderful holiday read or really a very good book to read at anytime of day.

It feels so real - a perfect summer read .

Enjoy this book it makes perfect relaxing reading. Chill out time and tell your friends about this novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best book I have read in a long time, 20 July 2012
This review is from: The Long Weekend (Paperback)
I wont say too much about the book as a lot of people have wrote about it. I was a little in 2 minds to buy this book as it seemed it had a lot of characters in it, which normally confuses me and bores me. I'm very happy I gave this book a chance. I sat and read for two days. No housework got done, so my advice don't buy if you have a lot to do and are prepared to spend a fortune reading all Veronica Henry's books, which is what I'm about to do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further for the perfect summer read!, 23 July 2012
This review is from: The Long Weekend (Paperback)
Put on your bikini (yes, it's possible at last!), roll out the rug and float away to Cornwall with one of the best-written and most compelling pieces of romantic women's fiction I've read in a very long time. The novel is set in a beautiful hotel on the Cornish coast, run by Claire and Luca - young, beautiful and very good at what they do. But over one long, hot weekend, life is rewritten for them and their guests, and the stories unfold and intermingle in a gloriously rich tapestry, set against the sumptuous rooms, Luca's mouthwatering food, and the sun glittering off the sea in the little bay.

Among the interwoven stories is Claire who never thought she would set eyes on her first love, the man who went on to break her heart a decade earlier; Colin who has always tried to do the right thing after fathering a secret daughter; and Laura who has spent her life wondering who her father is. Over the space of a few days, these past secrets burst into the present with shocking and surprising consequences.

Lie back, and let the wealth of wonderful characters sweep you away, and be ready to weep by the end!

The Long Weekend
The Long Weekend by Veronica Henry (Paperback - 5 July 2012)
7.03