5.0 out of 5 stars easy to read family saga
Published on 16 July 2012 by Jen 24

3.0 out of 5 stars The real Katie lavender
An easy novel to read over the Xmas holiday. Not one that I would want to read over again. Would I recommend, no
Published 11 months ago by Nichola Mollison

5.0 out of 5 stars easy to read family saga, 16 July 2012
Jen 24 (Buckinghamshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Real Katie Lavender (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book, it wasn't taxing just an easy to read family saga. An interesting look at complicated family relationships. I read some of the other reviews about this not being up to her usual standard and Erica changing style. I think her style as changed, but I feel that is only natural and right, she has been writing for several years and as with all of us, as you get older you experience diffrent things and your place in life changes. I think therefore it is only natural that is reflected in an author's fiction. I look forward to her next book.

5.0 out of 5 stars captivating, 4 Feb 2014
Really enjoyed this book. It held me captivated right to the end. Had great trouble putting it down. Yet again Erica James ha not disappointed me, I just wish she could write quicker!

5.0 out of 5 stars Interesting read, 14 Nov 2011
LEP "LEP" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I'm not going to give a synopis because the previous reviewer has already done so, perhaps in too much detail.
I enjoyed this book, it was not really what I expected, if I expected anything, and was indeed better for that.

It shows the cracks in an extended family when a series of crisis hit them. From the outside the Nightingales seem the perfect family. Stirling, the father, well-heeled, with his own successful business that he is in partnership with his brother. Gina, Stirlings wife, beautiful, sophisticated, if somewhat cold, the perfect upper class hostess and wife. Rosco and Scarlet, their somewhat spoilt and over-indulged children. Cecily, Stirling's mother, the matriach, who unfortunately allows the family to see that she has decided favourites amongst them. Neil, the brother and buiness partner and Pen his wife who loves her beautiful garden and spends time there, perhaps at the expense of everything else. Lloyd, their son, who makes bespoke garden furniture.

However, the perfect picture of Stirling's family falls apart under crisis and shows how disfunctional it really is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy To Read, 1 Aug 2014
This review is from: The Real Katie Lavender (Paperback)
Katie Lavender is just ticking along in life - not entirely sure if her boyfriend is "the man" or whether her job is quite what wanted. Then one day changes it all - in the space of an hour she is made redundant and she discovers that her Father wasn't biologically her Father.......her world is turned upside down.
I very much enjoyed this book & struggled to put it down. In places the author did stretch a point for literary licence but I think she can be forgiven. It is doubtful that such a complex set of circumstances would happen to one family simulateously but it made for a good story.
As this book progressed I had a fairly good idea what to expect. A romance, some arguing, some making up and a happy ending. I was not disappointed. Having a fair idea as to where the book will end up doesn't mean that I won't enjoy it provided the story on the way is a good one.
The characters in this book are not particularly complex and are a bit fuzzy - not as defined as they could be. I particularly liked Cecily, Katie's new-found Grandmother who had her finger well and truly on the pulse and wasn't above a bit of meddling to get what she wanted. Katie's Aunt Pen was a little more mystifying. Is anyone really that forgiving? Maybe but she was pushing the boundaries of reality.
The subject of step-families, half siblings and unknown biological parents is one that is coming more and more into society. Although Erica James isn't a gritty, hard-hitting writer, she certainly managed to highlight some of the emotions that could come to light in this sort of situation. Although everything ended happily ever after some of the issues that happened on the way are very real & worth some consideration for people in a similar situation.
This was a book which I enjoyed very much. It is as good, if not better, than previous books by this author - she may have written a fair few books in her time but this book shows that she hasn't lost her touch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Erica James can do no wrong.., 12 Dec 2011
Once again Erica James has ticked all the boxes with this book. I have yet to be disappointed with anything she has written and Katie Lavender is full of believable characters and situations. If you like a good girly read on a wet afternoon this one is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Real Katie Lavender, 13 Mar 2014
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Katie Lavender suddenly finds her life turned upside down when she loses her job and finds out something shocking about her parents who are both dead. She finds herself involved with the charismatic and complicated Nightingale family just in the middle of a family crisis. Can Katie find out who she really is and what she wants to do with her life in the future?

I did enjoy reading this book though the Nightingale family are something of an acquired taste in my opinion and the book is mainly about them – even more than it is about Katie Lavender. I liked the background to the story – large houses and beautiful gardens where money was really no object. Some of the characters were less than inspiring and if this had been a murder mystery I would happily have murdered them myself!

I thought Stirling Nightingale was probably the most three dimensional character in the book and someone who appeared able to examine his own mistakes and realise where he had gone wrong. His wife, Gina, was a two dimensional harpy and her son Rosco was very much a yuppy who started off caring for no one.

Katie Lavender herself was all right as a character but I found her a little wishy washy. In spite of all these criticisms I did enjoy the book and it did keep me reading probably because of the story line and the background though I thought Cecily and Pen were excellent older characters. I’m sure Erica James’ many fans will love this.

3.0 out of 5 stars The real Katie lavender, 31 Dec 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars Tedious, boring and full of cardboard stereotypes, 15 May 2013
This review is from: The Real Katie Lavender (Paperback)
Usually I really enjoy books by Erica James, but not this one. I took it out of the library and kept renewing it in the fond belief I'd get round to reading the rest of it, but it just wasn't worth the time of effort.

I didn't care about any of the characters, nor did they ring true.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 20 April 2013
Mrs. G. E. Thompson "gillt62" (York, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Real Katie Lavender (Paperback)
It was OK but seemed to be somewhat cliched as to an adopted person would feel as they grew up, along with her adopted family and her natural family. I have adoptees in my family and this story does not in any way reflect their experiences. Havig said that I feel it was quite well written

5.0 out of 5 stars The Real Deal, 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Real Katie Lavender (Paperback)
I absolutely loved this book and think it's one of her best. Enough characters but not too many that you got confused. Parts of it made me cry, really cry, but it was very entertaining from start to finish about a family saga. I'm not going to give any of the story away, but would just suggest you read it.

I love this author, but some of her books have been a let down, although the majority I've thoroughly enjoyed like "Summer at the Lake" too which I can thoroughly recommend. These are books that I've not wanted to really finish as I've felt sad to leave many of the characters behind. They are so real that you feel you know them personally. Give them both a go if you've not done so already.

The Real Katie Lavender
The Real Katie Lavender by Erica James (Paperback - 19 July 2012)