4.0 out of 5 stars A nice spin-off from the Myron books for YA
Published on 30 Sep 2011 by Dr Evil

2.0 out of 5 stars Young Bolitar
I'm a Harlen Coben fan and so pre-ordered this book and, as always, looked forward to reading it.

Published on 11 Oct 2011 by ColinG

2.0 out of 5 stars Young Bolitar, 11 Oct 2011

Although the book is very well written, the principal character, Mickey Bolitar, is 15 years old and the story is written from his perspective. The themes included in the book are true to the juvenile perspective - and I don't mean that in a derogatory way - and aren't that interesting to an adult. I gave the book every chance and wanted so much to enjoy it, but having finished the book I maintained the feeling that I had from the first few pages; that I was reading a children's book.

This is a very clever approach by Mr Coben in that he is probably capturing a new generation of readers, but until Mickey gets a little older and is able to enter the adult world, I won't be reading any more books that have him as the main character.

4.0 out of 5 stars A nice spin-off from the Myron books for YA, 30 Sep 2011
Dr Evil (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I've been a huge fan of Harlan Coben's books for years - his Myron Bolitar series is one of my favourites and his stand alone novels are always excellent. This new book, Shelter, re-introduces Myron's nephew, Mickey, who we met in the latest Myron book, Live Wire and it carries on from the events in that story. Mickey's father was recently killed in a car crash and his mother is in rehab, so Mickey is now living with his uncle Myron. He is new to his high school and his girlfriend has gone missing, so with the help of his new friends Spoon and Ema, Mickey goes in search of her.

This book is written as a young adult novel but can easily be enjoyed by adult readers too. Fans of Coben's other books will love this and really appreciate the in-jokes, references and familiar characters (Myron's parents are in it, Esperanza is mentioned but no Win I'm afraid). I found this an excellent, quick read with the usual sharp, witty dialogue and a thought-provoking mystery. The cliffhanger ending makes me look forward to the next in the series and I'm also very intrigued with how everything will all integrate with the next Myron book (if there is one). Recommended.

2.0 out of 5 stars Deceptively marketed, 1 Aug 2012
A. Linton (Manchester, Manchester United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shelter (Mickey Bolitar 1) (Paperback)
I'm not a huge fan of Coben, as I've sometimes felt let down by the endings of his novels, but when I bought this I at least expected a fast paced thriller aimed at ADULTS . This is a YA thriller, which centres round Myrom Bolitar's nephew Mickey, aged 15 and his gang of school friends - a geeky girl, a geeky boy, and the school knockout who for some reason club together to search for Mickey's missing girlfriend Ashley. The plotline is childish - hats off to the reviewer who mentioned Scooby-Do, but at least the Scooby gang solved the case in one go. After lots of silly shenanigans involving of all things Nazi villains (wouldn't they be dead now or at least too old to be a threat?) we are left with a very unsatisfactory resolution to the Ashley storyline and the mystery of Mickey's father is left as a cliffhanger - clearly this is to be carried on to the next book and Coben is trying to set up a new series aimed at younger readers. Frankly I don't think that this is very good even for young adults - the tone is by turn too adult or way too childish and the plot is confusing and silly. I hope the publishers take note and make it clear in the next book that this is aimed at a different market.

1.0 out of 5 stars Scooby Doo with no dog., 6 Aug 2012
This review is from: Shelter (Mickey Bolitar 1) (Paperback)
I can not stress enough how much rubbish this book is. The four good-guys were apparently based on the four humans in Scooby Doo, and so, for that matter, was the plot. The book came complete with a spooky house, a comic-book villain and so many loose-ends left hanging that it is obviously just a taster for a whole series. I don't think this book is meant for adults at all and certainly not those who can count.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a book by it's cover!, 9 April 2012
Like many reviewers here I believed I owned another Myron Bolitar book (of which I love) but on reading found that this was not aimed at adults at all but a teenage audience. I had little choice but to pursue it as I taken it on holiday to Italy and had nothing else [having already my Michael Connelly]. While the develop of the characters was fairly well done, the unveiling of the plot was slow and the ending, frankly, quite ridiculous! I wonder whether Coban has indeed written this at all - while there are similarities it feels like a ghost writer? Existing Coban fans are not, I suggest, likely to be satisfied with this simply because we have been such fans of his portfolio to date.

2.0 out of 5 stars huge fan - massively disappointed, 24 Jan 2012
Am huge HC fan having read all previous stand alone and Myron books however massively disappointed in this book. The characters, dialogue and story line very weak and not up to usual standards. No way these characters in any way compare with those in the Myron books. I understand that this book is intended for a young adult market but even so would have expected more from this calibre of author. I will not be buying any others in this series. A real let down ! Hope we have not seen the end of Myron who is by far a more interesting and witty character - with great friends!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Promising....but not there yet, 13 Oct 2011
Glasgow Reader (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
I'm a huge fan of Harlan Coben, and the Myron Bolitar books, but recent books have been dissappointing - it felt as if Coben was bored and just going through the motions. So I was looking forward to this one in the hope that it would have re-motivated Coben. It partly has....but only partly. This book is obviously written for young adults, so I guess Coben is seeking to extend his readership, and he has succeeded in creating immediately engaging characters, and created some obvious hooks for future stories. Yet in some ways the book fails to satisfy; the ending is poor and feels rushed, I'm surprised at the Holocaust/Nazi link, Myron Bolitar has a very small - and strangely out-of-character - part in the book, but largely as a cipher. But, its a Coben book so it's well-written, easy-reading, moves at a good pace, and contains the usual humour. Coben obviously enjoyed writing the book, and suggests that there will be a Mickey Bolitar series, so I hope this isn't the end of Myron; I will watch out for nd buy the next Mickey Bolitar book but a lot more work will be required before these are as successful, or as enjoyable, as the Myron Bolitar series.

3.0 out of 5 stars Myron Bolitar for a younger generation., 14 July 2012
Like many of the previous reviewers, I didn't realise this was a book for young adults/teenagers. Having bought it however, I decided to read it anyway as I'm a big fan of Harlan Coben.

Being aimed at a younger audience, this book does not pack the same punch as the Myron Bolitar series, having said that I found it an ejoyable read.

Mickey dislikes and resents his uncle Myron but is very much in the same mold. He's tall, a good basket ball player and shuns the conventional. He chooses to hang out at school with the misfits and outsiders and stands up for them against the bullies.
He's very loyal to his closest friends Ema, an overweight tattooed goth girl, with a great line in 'put downs' and Spoon, a 'geeky' boy who is full of useless information, that turns out to be extremely useful at times. I enjoyed both of these characters immensley. They are later joined by the beautiful Rachel, the archetypal cheerleader, who proves her worth before the end of the book.

If you buy this book expecting the very grown up Myron, you will probably be disappointed. However, Harlan Coben is a good writer and as such he has come up with a group of new characters who are very likeable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not good enough, 18 Jan 2012
P. Felton (UK) - See all my reviews
It should have been pointed out that this is not novel for adults, and teenagers, who appears to be its market, can understand and appreciate better quality writting. A very dissapointing read from one of my favourite writers.

2.0 out of 5 stars One for young teenagers - far from his best, 23 April 2012
This is a disappointing book from one of my favorite authors. It is written in the first person using short and simple sentences. Although the book is nearly 300 pages long it is written in large text with double spacing and lots of gaps; why does each chapter have to start with a few words in very large font? Really this book is more of a short story and could really fit into a 100 pages. Might be OK if you're 13 or 14 and never read his books before but definitely not pitched at an adult reader and a big disappointment for any Myron Bolitar fans. Come on Coben - we know you can do better than this! Did you use a ghost writer? Where is your career as an author going - you better make you mind up but frankly much more like this and you will have lost me as a fan.

Shelter (Mickey Bolitar 1)
Shelter (Mickey Bolitar 1) by Harlan Coben (Paperback - 21 Jun 2012)
5.59