on 9 November 2011
I've loved Sherlock Holmes stories since I was a child, both the books and the Jeremy Brett TV version. I usually dislike non Conan Doyle stories, but I gave this a go after hearing Anthony Horowitz on radio 4. I'm really glad I did - it's great read and truer to the spirit than I would have thought possible.
on 18 February 2012
For fans of the original Conan Doyle adventures, this is a fitting tribute to the master of detective fiction. Anthony Horowitz captures the essence of the two main characters as only a lifelong fan could. Even more importantly, he displays a near perfect understanding of the period portrayed, the social mores of the time, the inequalities and injustice of the world they inhabited. The story is tight and well edited. Like Holmes himself, the pace is often frantic but the steadying influence of the ever calmer narrator, John Watson, is omnipresent and the tale is never rushed. All the usual aspects of a Sherlock Holmes story are here, his fantastically analytical brain, the clues that everyone else, including the reader, fail to recognise along with the seedier side to London life in the nineteenth century; opium dens, prostitution, corruption, the abuse of power .... The overriding characteristic of the book however, like the originals, is the relationship between the two chief protaganists; complimentary, interdependent, respectful, warm.
I would recommend this work of fiction to anyone, whether or not you are already a fan or a complete novice. You will read it quickly, because you will be impatient for the conclusion. Then you'll be sorry that you did so, because you wish it could go on forever!
on 19 November 2015
I'm was a great fan of Anthony Horowitz. "Foyle's War" was outstanding. "Midsummer Murders" not quite in the same league, but very watchable. "Foyle's War" could be a just a little slow at times, but held the attention. "Midsummer Murders" always had pace. The "Poirot" screen plays were great. What on earth happened with "House of Silk"? A plot Conan-Doyle must be spinning in his grave over. He would never have used such a subject as child abuse, neither would he have Holmes being framed. The plot was not only wrong, it was lacklustre. The original Holmes' books never ever lagged, even the full length novels. They were full of punch, and never stopped galloping through the plot. "House of Silk" meandered, slowed down and even stopped at times. There was no drive. No edge of seat tension. I nearly stopped reading just over halfway through as I found it so hard going, but I persevered to see how Holmes survived. I bought it on Kindle so I can't even donate it to the charity shop. I've just started reading "Trigger Mortis". I do so hope Horowitz hasn't done to James Bond and Ian Fleming what he did to Sherlock Holmes and Arthur Conan-Doyle! For goodness sake don't let him get his hands on Edmund Dantes and Alexandre Dumas.
on 4 February 2015
very good imitation of Conan Doyle
on 16 November 2014
Interesting and very well written.
on 26 February 2012
My interest in Sherlock Holmes was piqued by the BBC series 'Sherlock' and I'm so pleased I bought this book! My boyfriend read it first, and although he generally is not a big reader, he finished it within the week! I loved it too, and finished it was quickly as possible so we could talk about some of the plot lines! I think that the plot was strong, although I fel that at times it was somewhat predictable, for me it was obvious quite early on that the House of Silk was something to do with the poverty stricken children of London. However, saying that Sherlock was still edgy enough to surprise me at the end, especially with the story line of the young american wife.

Having read Horowitz's efforts at replicating Conan Doyle's Sherlock I have now moved onto reading the original books, and am interested in how they will hold up... Having read some of Horowitz's previous books (the Alex Ryder series) I was confident I would like his writing style, and I was not wrong. The language used within the book was fitting for the time period, and his ability to paint a picture with words is exemplary. Overall, I would definitely recommend this book as an introduction to Sherlock, and really enjoyed the author's efforts to revamp the detective genre.
on 12 December 2015
It's a Xmas present , so not read
on 26 May 2015
brilliant, couldn't put it down.
on 15 March 2015
Did the author really think that Holmes fans wanted a book with the central subject of child abuse? He clearly felt the need to leave the genteel world of Colon Doyle behind and dump Holmes in the 21st Century with the hideous crimes of today. Why could he not have stuck with the charm of the originals rather than producing this rather unpleasant little book. Not impressed at all.
on 31 December 2014
Great story, Excellent, thanks.