5.0 out of 5 stars The Notebook meets The Horse Whisperer

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointing Adult Read
Published 18 months ago by Susie B

5.0 out of 5 stars The Notebook meets The Horse Whisperer, 2 July 2013
This review is from: The Obituary Writer (Hardcover)
I have just finished reading The Obituary Writer and thoroughly enjoyed it, in fact I could not put it down as I just wanted to find out what was causing Nick's dreams to come true. I loved how Lauren incorporated the sensitive relationship between Nick, Shasha & Marillion, the unruly ex racehorse to add another dynamic to the story. I could see this been turned into a movie along the lines of The Notebook meets The Horse Whisperer.
I look forward to future books written by Lauren St John.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting tale of loss, love and redemption, 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Obituary Writer (Hardcover)
I couldn't put this book down, and when I finished, it haunted me for weeks afterwards.

This is the story of Nick, whose miraculous escape from a train crash is the beginning of a strange journey towards redemption and self-acceptance. I don’t want to spoil the plot, only to say that it doesn’t go where you expect it to. For anyone who has ever had a serious curve-ball thrown to them by life, this book is for you.

Warning: you may end-up wanting to give everything up and go and live in a ramshackle cottage by the sea in Cornwall by the time you finish this.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Disappointing Adult Read, 12 Jun 2013
Susie B - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Obituary Writer (Hardcover)
Lauren St John's main protagonist in her debut novel for adults, is Nick Donaghue, a good-looking and fairly successful man in his thirties, who writes obituaries for 'The Times' newspaper. When travelling by train into his workplace one morning, the train derails leaving most of the passengers terribly injured - some even lose their lives. Nick, however, escapes with some nasty cuts and bruises and mild concussion and everyone around him thinks he has been extremely lucky. But a few days after the crash Nick, who has been having flashbacks and nightmares, suddenly begins to have vivid dreams about the deaths of certain individuals, only to discover that his dreams are coming true. Shocked and scared by these frightening presentiments, Nick's life quickly begins to unravel, and when he is offered the loan of a secluded cottage in Cornwall, Nick decides to leave London with the hopes that he can leave his weird experiences behind him.

In Cornwall, Nick initially free from his nightmares, meets Sasha, a beautiful young woman devoted to her horses, who has the dangerous habit of riding them barefoot and hatless. Attracted to the lovely Sasha, but unsure of the depth of her involvement with local heart-throb Cullen, and very wary of beginning a relationship with someone new ("I don't do love or relationships") Nick tries to resist any attempts Sasha makes at friendliness. And then just as Nick begins to feel that he and Sasha could actually become a couple and that he might be able to make a new start, a whole series of incidents occur that threaten to ruin his chance of happiness.

Lauren St John is the successful author of the 'Laura Marlin Mysteries' and the 'One Dollar Horse' stories for children - very much enjoyed by the younger members of my family - and I was very interested to see how the author writes for the adult market. Well to be honest (and I don't see the point in writing these reviews if I am not) I was very disappointed. I am sorry to say that I found the plot too melodramatic, the characters seemed rather flat and some parts of this story were so unbelievable that I'm afraid I struggled to finish it - I would like to explain further but I don't want to include spoilers. That said, although 'The Obituary Writer' sadly did not work for me as an adult novel, I will continue to buy her books for children and must add that more than one member of my family is looking forward to her latest Laura Marlin Mystery: Laura Marlin Mysteries 4: Rendezvous in Russia which is due out on the 1st August.

2 Stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting and enchanting, 6 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Obituary Writer (Hardcover)
I was up until all hours of the morning, because I simply HAD to finish The Obituary Writer. Lauren's descriptions of Cornwall are so evocative I felt I was there, and the story drives on relentlessly to an ending that I found both inevitable and unexpected at the same time. I was completely caught up in the story of Nick's life, and can't wait to read another adult fiction title from Lauren. So she'd better start writing one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding - Will make you want to move to Cornwall, 2 July 2013
This review is from: The Obituary Writer (Hardcover)
Lauren St. John is one of my favourite authors. Her interest and insight into her characters is one of her exceptional gifts in creating a book, that is above all, a reflection of human nature and one that grips you as it flows right to the final climax. Lauren is always a compelling writer, the pages turn themselves. The Obituary Writer is no exception and adds to her impressive tally. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected, 12 July 2013
This review is from: The Obituary Writer (Hardcover)
Really enjoyed this book although have the tissues ready! Also love the book cover which sets the scene. This writer, new to adult fiction, has captured a lot of emotions and I look forward to more from her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read, 6 Feb 2014
Excellent book. Well written and kept me hooked the whole way through. Really enjoyed the plot and liked the main character

5.0 out of 5 stars A gripping read - beautifully written and un-put-downable, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: The Obituary Writer (Hardcover)
I've just finished The Obituary Writer and so enjoyed it. The compelling story grabs you from the start and it is a true page turner, right up to the very end. Wonderfully descriptive, I was transported to the rugged, wilds of Cornwall. I very much look forward to the next book from this author.

5.0 out of 5 stars bliss in a book, 17 Aug 2013
well written and a delightful read, the story drags you in and leads you through to the conclusion. a book you want to finish but never wish to end.
thank you for this little piece of magic

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning!!, 11 July 2013
OW is an extraordinary and original piece of work. Beautifully written. The characters are so vivid. Real flawed people you understand, relate to, laugh with, hurt for. The language so rich I can almost feel the wind and smell the sea spray.

There is so much honesty, insight, purity, goodness. The story is enthralling, meaningful and made me cry. Most of all it made me think.

This author has a great deal to be proud of!

The Obituary Writer
The Obituary Writer by Lauren St John (Paperback - 22 May 2014)