Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 February 2014
As a stand up getting myself back in 'the game' I found Vivs account of a very brave challenge of 100 gigs in 100 days inspiring, truthful and written with warmth and fantastic humour. How I cringed with recognition at the accounts of awful encounters with some 'characters' on the comedy scene and sympathised with her juggling family life as well as her career alongside the gruelling gig marathon. Proving it doesnt matter about your age or background you can make it as a comic if you have that special something and the drive to get out there and show it. A must read for comedy fans and for anybody who has lifelong dreams and ambitions that are yet to be fulfilled. Its never too late!
on 7 November 2013
This book is quite simply my new favourite.

You connect instantly with Viv within the first few words, and from then on she has you hooked!

I laughed, I cried, I felt reassured, I was inspired, I learnt, I empathised, I was refreshed, I laughed some more.

I'd buy this every time I wanted to read it and consider it money well spent. Luckily though, it has pride of place on my bookshelf, for whenever I need that gentle shove to carry on (or when I find myself' "in the s***"...) ;)

This book is a keeper and it is my personal belief you'll feel richer for having read it.

Enjoy!
on 5 February 2014
Stand-up is one of the scariest things you can ever do, and Viv Groskop's diary of her 100 gigs in 100 nights reminds us that any skill worth having - however effortless the masters make it look is hard-won. It's full of wise words too - some gorgeous lessons around the importance of being able to be vulnerable - how actually, when we take the "mask" off, that's when we're funniest and most powerful. I particularly loved the sections where Viv goes to train with Dr Brown at clown boot camp, and how she describes the power of finding our clown, the bit of ourselves that is scared to fall flat on our faces and the power of relishing and leaning into that. Blimey that's a masterclass for LIFE. Everyone should read it. And even as Viv is finding the kid within, there's also a poignant theme behind the book, that will resonate with any parent, on the intricacies and self-doubt that comes of juggling work and family, and how we make peace with it. Lovely book, warm and honest and powerful. Like a heart to heart with an old friend. But funnier. Read it.
on 11 January 2015
This book should be compulsory reading for all those interested in doing stand-up. Viv Groskop's account of the challenge to perform 100 stand-up gigs in as many days, alongside her job as a journalist, is both humorous and harrowing! It would be extremely difficult to find out how the stand-up circuit works in this much detail without trying it for yourself. Viv's highly entertaining and informative book saves you from having to do this, offering insights that will enable you to decide whether or not stand-up is the career for you to pursue. The difficulties involved in planning shows and making them financially viable are explained, along with the characters that Viv encounters along the way. It doesn't reveal the full contents of her set of course, so I've booked tickets to see her show. I wondered how anyone could have given this a one-star rating and thought they must have mistaken it for an entirely different book. Having now read that review, I take the reviewer's point that it actually represents the fact that Viv is a star!
on 6 April 2014
Not the sort of book I normally go for. However, I saw Viv interview Count Arthur Strong (not easy!) as part of the Bath Literature Festival, and was impressed. I sadly missed her chat with Val McDermid about the re writing of Northanger Abbey as I was quite poorly with a chest infection. As a consolation, my lovely hubby bought me a copy of Viv's book which she kindly dedicated to me. I started reading it during my recovery and couldn't put it down. I love Viv's frank and honest writing style. A very clear message came across that you really can achieve your life's goals if you are prepared to put in the effort and the hours. I have to say Viv really does have a wonderfully supportive husband! I was hoping that we might see more of the comedy material. A must read, plenty of encouragement for anyone who wants to give their ambitions a try irrespective of whether they succeed or fail. Thank you for sharing your experience Viv.
on 28 September 2013
Moving, inspired, inspiring, funny. Written with wit, sincerity, openness and, above all, honesty - sometimes brutally so. I haven't flicked the screen of my iPad that fast to turn the page since I had an all-night binge on Angry Birds Star Wars. Go to see Viv if you get the chance, and buy her a gallon of Diet Coke.
on 2 August 2014
Viv Groskop is funny. She is also a brilliant writer. I first found out about the book when I saw Viv give a fantastic talk about it at Latitude, at this talk she came across as witty, entertaining, but also incredibly warm. All these qualities come through in the book. You also find out how determined she is, as her feat of performing 100 gigs in 100 days is beyond anything most of us could ever dream of attempting. Run a marathon, do an Iron Man? Pah! These achievements are nothing compared with the trials of putting up with Orgasm Man and Sewage Venue. As for driving with other "comedians" to a venue in Broadstairs, don't even think about it. I was sad to put the book down, as I wanted to read more. Please write more books Viv!
on 28 April 2014
I really enjoyed this book: it is well written, very funny and extremely well observed, and is a good introduction to (many unseen sides of) the world of stand up comedy. I'd recommend it to anyone starting out in stand up, and I'd also recommend it to anyone who feels like being cheered up about turning 40 - it is a great demonstration that one can learn to do new (and terrifying) things at any stage in life. And I'd also recommend it for anyone who needs reminding that there IS life after having a baby (or three). I'd also recommend it if none of the above applies to you (yet) - this is a great book. Have I mentioned that I enjoyed this book? I enjoyed this book.
on 7 September 2014
While I didn't cry I certainly laughed. A lot. I also winced in sympathy and wished there was a photo of THAT cardi! This came accross as a very honest, warts and all, account of the realities of starting out in the funny business. I would certainly recommend anyone considoring being a comedien reading I Laughed, I Cried - it won't necassarily put you off but will give you an idea of the realities.

The book is written chronologically covering some of the gigs and intersperesed with useful background information. I have suggested several people read it and do not hesitate to give it five stars.
on 14 July 2014
I did laugh, and I almost cried, at this account of one woman's 100 day battle with pubs with sticky floors, elusive baby sitters, the intoxication (and occasional horror) of playing to audiences, large and small. Who will enjoy this book? Anyone who has ever clambered on to a rickety stage, cheered or flinched at that risky, addictive spectacle, live performance. 'Why do you do this to me, universe?' We have all been to Gig 71. But this book tells you how to reach Gig 100...and how much you might spend, on your way, on Diet Coke!