5.0 out of 5 stars It's so Easy (and other lies) - Duff McKagen
Now, i read a lot of biographies and many of them music related and this is one of the best books I have read.

Duff draws you into his story. It is superbly written and the beginning half of the book floats between two different times in his life sublimely. This isn't a story about Gun's n Roses, this is a story about a mans journey through life...
Published on 14 Dec. 2011 by Tubs

3.0 out of 5 stars It's So Easy..to get a book written for you
Published 15 months ago by Sensible buyer

5.0 out of 5 stars It's so Easy (and other lies) - Duff McKagen, 14 Dec. 2011

This book has everything you expect. There is the humble beginnings, the lust make a living from playing music, the drugs, the near misses and there is the redemption - then there was something I hadn't expected. It is actually very inspiring.

I don't want to give too much away of Duff's story. Just buy this book! I can't recommend highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very inspiring read!, 31 Dec. 2011
I have read a number of 'Rock' autobiographies over the years and expected this to be just another rock 'n roll story. But how wrong I was. This is genuinely a very inspiring read and I was left really amazed of how someone can turn their life around in such a dramatic way. It is also quite emotional to read as its such a 'real' story- with a lot of the rock autobiographies, they can often just whinge and seem almost ungrateful about the fame and wealth which can be off-putting - this book however mentions things that we all can relate to such as parents, money worries, raising children, realising that we should have tried harder at school, death of a loved pet etc. It was this kind of 'every-man' quality that really endeared me to Duff and made it such a good read.
It is also one of the few books I have read where it almost is a music- history book- you really get a feel of what life was like in the late 1970's Seattle Punk Scene, life in 1980's LA and the 1990's Grunge scene, in a way that I have never gotten from a autobiography before which also added another interesting layer to it.

Overall, I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who just wants to read a realistically inspiring book as well as anyone who loves the 'Rock' autobiography genre as they definitely won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just an absolutely beautifully-written and thought-provoking book!!!, 8 Oct. 2014
This review is from: It's So Easy (and other lies): The Autobiography (Paperback)
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and I totally recommend it to anyone who loves rock n roll autobiographies or just autobiographies in general!

I didn't realise what a superb writer Duff is and how he draws you into his journey so easily. I found myself relating to a lot of his life experiences, but at the same time it was awesome to see how those ordinary experiences can reach the heights that they did for Duff. Especially when you ass fame, fortune, drugs and alcohol into the mix.
I really found the beginning of the book engaging from the get-go as Duff talks about his eldest daughter's 13th birthday party. When I first read it I was a bit lost about where he was going with it, but then at the last minute he ingeniously relates it to how his early developmental years began; and to be quite frank, all the s*** he was doing at such a young age.
I just really enjoyed reading this book and I didn't think he would be so honest with his readers, but I'm so glad he was. There was no ghost-writers involved like there was for Steven Adler's and Slash's autobiographies (not saying I didn't enjoy reading them too), but it came straight from his heart/head and I truly respect him for that because the way a person throws a sentence together tell a lot about that person. One can really get a sense of what they are feeling by reading the sentences and empathise with Duff which is something I think all autobiographies need to have!

Just an absolutely beautifully-written and thought-provoking blend of humour, brutal reality and life changing people and experiences which I one hundred percent recommend and will continue to re-read. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars One in a million, 6 Feb. 2013
I am not the biggest Guns n Roses fan in the world so when I first picked up its so easy(and other lies) I wasn't quite sure what to expect.
After having read Motley crue's the dirt, Nikki sixx's heroin diaries and Tommy Lee's Tommyland I thought this might be quite a tame read.
This book completely surprised me, it starts off with Duff preparing for his daughters 13th birthday party and the goes back to when he was a punk in high school. By the end of the 2nd page I was hooked. I didn't want to put this thing down, it's a true rock n roll rollercoaster ride from start to finish, covering the high and lows and everything in between. Including a chance meeting with an old band mate whilst on a business trip to the UK and cycling in a race across the Californian mountains.
I don't want to spoil all the fun but I would suggest to anyone who likes a good rock n roll biography to pick this book up and give it a read. It won't let you down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, rocking and humble, 1 Dec. 2012
I loved this book. What a journey. Well detailed, humble, genuine and interesting. Why read self help books when you can read the real thing? I travelled back to my teens when guns and roses where just breaking through here in England and shared Duffs anguish of wondering why it all fell apart far too soon. All in all a fantastic, thought provoking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Duff McKagan - Talented Writer, 20 Sept. 2014
J. Coyle "rolling stock" (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
Not quite finished the book yet I felt compelled to post my review. This is a beautifully-written tome, bursting with pathos and humour, told from a self-deprecating viewpoint. I've laughed out loud many times. Some of the writing moved me to tears (mind you, I cry easily... but still...)

Duff appears to know that he's on a fast train to destruction throughout his G n R years but is, until he nearly dies, unable to do anything about it.

Duff comes over as an intelligent guy. It feels like he has done the hard work to become emotionally stable - it shines through in his writing. I bought this straight after reading 'Slash'. To be honest, I did not even know who Duff McKagan was until recently as I was never a big Guns n Roses fan back in the day, thinking I was too cool for school in the late 1980s, favouring The Smiths, Lloyd Cole and, erm, The Smiths... (yes, I was a big fan!)

I love the Slash autobiography - it's a rollicking read and full of detail (some say too much, yet I love it still) but Duff takes time to talk about how things made him FEEL, such as the deaths of two fans at Monsters of Rock. With Duff you feel like he does genuinely care about people. Slash talks constantly about 'some guy', 'some chick', 'some gig', which makes it sound like he doesn't always give a stuff, though I appreciate that his book will have come out of a series of very long interviews with his Rolling Stone mag ghostwriter (who should have edited his work WAY more than he did). Duff is more specific about names and events and is more effusive in his gratitude towards those who helped them.

However, I do get the feeling that Duff holds back in other ways. There's some talk of VD but no real info on the promiscuity; he talks about his drug addiction and alcoholism, but not in intricate detail. Is that necessary? Maybe not, but Slash's book makes you understand the day-to-day realities of being an addict and his dual life: sometimes scoring smack in scuzzy places then being a rock god on stage a few hours later.

However, I appreciate that Duff has tried to write something that has more literary merit than your average rock autobiography. It pitches itself differently. I also suspect it's been very well edited. The role of editing is vastly underrated. It is the king of wordsmithery (and that's probably not even a word!) and I suspect that's been a key to elevating Duff's prose. Still, don't mean to detract from the guy's talent. I think the man can write - and write well.

I wholeheartedly recommended this book, rock fan or not, 'cos it is a story about dreams, ambition, trauma, reality, redemption. And, on the quiet, if you like wry humour, it's a bit of a hoot.

5.0 out of 5 stars DUFF MCKAGAN NO LONGER THE KING OF BEERS!!, 12 Aug. 2012
The Duff McKagan that reappeared in the mainstream in 2003 with Velvet Revolver looked a lot different than the man who we last saw in 1994. Gone was the gangly, puffy and bloated bass player who had trouble staying vertical as he played for Guns N' Roses instead he had been replaced by a lean, mean and shredded man who looked anything but bloated. Duff who one time had been known as "The king of beers" looked the picture of health. How had he gone about this transformation? Well all the answers are in his excellent autobiography "It's So Easy (And Other Lies)".

Duff who always brought the punk element to Guns N' Roses relives his past even though he is honest enough to admit there are bits he just can't remember as he was so messed up on a cocktail of drinks and drugs. A lot is covered in his book from his early days of growing up to starting out in bands hoping to make the big time, his love of Prince is well covered as well as his panic attacks he would suffer and of course the roots of Guns N' Roses. This probably could have been a problem with the book as if you are a Guns N' Roses fan you probably have read that whole story more than once, whether it Be in slash's book or one of the many books devoted to Guns N' roses career. But while it is covered it's more of less in the background, not that he doesn't discuss the whole rollercoaster ride of life on the road with GNR. After all it is during this time his serious addictions begin.

The most interesting period of the book is his time from 1994 when during time off from GNR his pancreatitis would explode and his battle to recovery is well detailed. It's during this time we really get to know Duff as he goes in to great detail as he begins on the road to sobriety and also what life without GNR meant to him. His time with Velvet Revolver is well covered as is his time taking fellow addict Scott Weiland under his wing. The whole fallout from that band is well documented too. The book covers up to late 2010 and his accidental meeting with Axl Rose in London. However unfortunately his six month stint in Jane's Addiction is not mentioned, which is a pity as it would have been interesting to hear his side of the story that by all accounts didn't end so well.

"It's So Easy (And Other Lies)" could have just been another story of Guns N' Roses book but it's a lot more than that it's one man's battle with addiction and how he overcomes it and what techniques he uses to battle it. This book is one inspirational tale of what a man can do to get his life back on track and even if you are not a fan of GNR or Duff it's still a must read. The book at just under 400 pages is brilliantly written and is split up in to eight parts and the chapters in between aren't that long so it's easy to jump in and out of, but in truth you will probably fly through the book so quick as it's so gripping.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's So Easy..to get a book written for you, 9 April 2014
Always loved GnR so I fancied a read. Most of the stories have been told from different perspectives but it was still a good insight into his views on the band's direction and relationships. The latter part of the book deals with Revolver, other part time ventures and then it seems to run out of steam. I'm glad he got cleaned up, and it's great that he's here to reflect.
It's okay, nothing outstanding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Took a day off the work to finish the book!, 21 April 2015
An absolute masterpiece of a book, you can't get any more genuine, intelligent, inspiring, thought provoking, heart touching and mind blowing autobiography than Duff's 'It's So Easy (and other lies)'.
It isn't just a book for rock fans, it is a book for anyone who thinks about life and tries their best to make it count, but.... There's always a 'but' in life and Duff portrayed his 'but' so honestly and nonjudgmentally it brings scared facial expression and tears in your eyes. You are like "how could the guy just survived all of that????"
So he tells you. And he also tells you about his childhood, and about the happy ending of getting in the saddle of life. And he also tells you how he did it and you can't but admire him for that.
Many fans of Guns N Roses will be sure curious about Duff's perception of the band, and I happen to disagree with some reviewers saying this book is nothing to do with it. I think Duff's book is doing it in the most interesting and unbaised way, he is simply discribing what happened without passing on any judgments; only if someone was a real arse then he would mention. This would be never the case with any of his Guns comrades. If Axl came late to play a gig or he didn't turn up at all, Duff simply descibes it and says he went on to drink instead to kill time and that was it. Axl had sure his reason. When Izzy left the band Duff would tell you how it happened and wouldn't go on about speculating why, looking for someone to blame. Izzy had sure his reason. And so on. The reader can create their own opinion and that is really rare with autobiogaphies, so well done Duff! Maybe this book will also silence the Axl haters and Slash haters, frequently arguing about who killd the band. Duff describes quite in detail how there simply was no communication in the band and how every each ot them had their own demons to fight, no smaller or bigger than the ones of the others.
The last aspect of this book I wanna mention is that I really appreciate Duf didn't go on about any of the usual rock'n'roll clichés aka 'it was worth it', 'no regrets' or 'there I had this chick and there I had that chick'. Really appreciated!
So totally million stars out of million. If Duff could make it out of his hell, the rest of us can make it out of ours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyable to read, with a refreshingly different angle on the rock-star biography, 8 Feb. 2014
N. Gilmartin (Wallington, London) - See all my reviews
Having read Rex Brown's autobiography just before this one (he was the bass player in Pantera) I didn't go into the Duff McKagan work with particularly high expectations. But I was absorbed soon enough. It's a very well written work, partly because it has an honesty about it that seems truly authentic, but also because Duff's life has had an unusual amount of seemingly unconnected stages, which together add up to a fascinating and unpredictable tale.

There's very little of the 'yawn' anecdotes of decadence and excess that seem to characterize so many rock-star autobiographies; and when Duff does talk about alcohol and drugs, it's engaging not only because the stories are told with the benefit of hindsight but also because he has since done so much to turn his life around that you find yourself convinced that here is a guy who really stands behind what he is saying.

The book is even like a small adventure story in places, with its lessons in self-overcoming and will power. Of course, at the back of my mind there was the cynic saying that all his money and connections enabled him to seize ready-made opportunities to turn his life around in a way not open to the rest of us - but he still had to choose to seize them.

More generally, Duff doesn't come across as having been unduly affected by the rock-star complex that fame with Guns n' Roses and Velvet Revolver could so easily have brought in toe. He even champions the academic life, which is not a sentence I would have expected to be writing before reading the book. I can't confess to have known much (or anything) about Duff before reading this book - I was always focused exclusively on Slash and Axl, I guess; but I'm very happy that I now know more about Mr McKagan.

It's So Easy (and other lies): The Autobiography
It's So Easy (and other lies): The Autobiography by Duff McKagan (Paperback - 18 Oct. 2012)