5.0 out of 5 stars It's so Easy (and other lies) - Duff McKagen
Now, i read a lot of biographies and many of them music related and this is one of the best books I have read.

Duff draws you into his story. It is superbly written and the beginning half of the book floats between two different times in his life sublimely. This isn't a story about Gun's n Roses, this is a story about a mans journey through life...
Published on 14 Dec 2011 by Tubs

3.0 out of 5 stars It's So Easy..to get a book written for you
Always loved GnR so I fancied a read. Most of the stories have been told from different perspectives but it was still a good insight into his views on the band's direction and relationships. The latter part of the book deals with Revolver, other part time ventures and then it seems to run out of steam. I'm glad he got cleaned up, and it's great that he's here to...
Published 8 months ago by Sensible buyer

5.0 out of 5 stars It's so Easy (and other lies) - Duff McKagen, 14 Dec 2011

This book has everything you expect. There is the humble beginnings, the lust make a living from playing music, the drugs, the near misses and there is the redemption - then there was something I hadn't expected. It is actually very inspiring.

I don't want to give too much away of Duff's story. Just buy this book! I can't recommend highly enough.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very inspiring read!, 31 Dec 2011
I have read a number of 'Rock' autobiographies over the years and expected this to be just another rock 'n roll story. But how wrong I was. This is genuinely a very inspiring read and I was left really amazed of how someone can turn their life around in such a dramatic way. It is also quite emotional to read as its such a 'real' story- with a lot of the rock autobiographies, they can often just whinge and seem almost ungrateful about the fame and wealth which can be off-putting - this book however mentions things that we all can relate to such as parents, money worries, raising children, realising that we should have tried harder at school, death of a loved pet etc. It was this kind of 'every-man' quality that really endeared me to Duff and made it such a good read.
It is also one of the few books I have read where it almost is a music- history book- you really get a feel of what life was like in the late 1970's Seattle Punk Scene, life in 1980's LA and the 1990's Grunge scene, in a way that I have never gotten from a autobiography before which also added another interesting layer to it.

Overall, I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone who just wants to read a realistically inspiring book as well as anyone who loves the 'Rock' autobiography genre as they definitely won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars One in a million, 6 Feb 2013
I am not the biggest Guns n Roses fan in the world so when I first picked up its so easy(and other lies) I wasn't quite sure what to expect.
After having read Motley crue's the dirt, Nikki sixx's heroin diaries and Tommy Lee's Tommyland I thought this might be quite a tame read.
This book completely surprised me, it starts off with Duff preparing for his daughters 13th birthday party and the goes back to when he was a punk in high school. By the end of the 2nd page I was hooked. I didn't want to put this thing down, it's a true rock n roll rollercoaster ride from start to finish, covering the high and lows and everything in between. Including a chance meeting with an old band mate whilst on a business trip to the UK and cycling in a race across the Californian mountains.
I don't want to spoil all the fun but I would suggest to anyone who likes a good rock n roll biography to pick this book up and give it a read. It won't let you down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent, rocking and humble, 1 Dec 2012
This review is from: It's So Easy (and other lies): The Autobiography (Paperback)
I loved this book. What a journey. Well detailed, humble, genuine and interesting. Why read self help books when you can read the real thing? I travelled back to my teens when guns and roses where just breaking through here in England and shared Duffs anguish of wondering why it all fell apart far too soon. All in all a fantastic, thought provoking read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just an absolutely beautifully-written and thought-provoking book!!!, 8 Oct 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and I totally recommend it to anyone who loves rock n roll autobiographies or just autobiographies in general!

I didn't realise what a superb writer Duff is and how he draws you into his journey so easily. I found myself relating to a lot of his life experiences, but at the same time it was awesome to see how those ordinary experiences can reach the heights that they did for Duff. Especially when you ass fame, fortune, drugs and alcohol into the mix.
I really found the beginning of the book engaging from the get-go as Duff talks about his eldest daughter's 13th birthday party. When I first read it I was a bit lost about where he was going with it, but then at the last minute he ingeniously relates it to how his early developmental years began; and to be quite frank, all the s*** he was doing at such a young age.
I just really enjoyed reading this book and I didn't think he would be so honest with his readers, but I'm so glad he was. There was no ghost-writers involved like there was for Steven Adler's and Slash's autobiographies (not saying I didn't enjoy reading them too), but it came straight from his heart/head and I truly respect him for that because the way a person throws a sentence together tell a lot about that person. One can really get a sense of what they are feeling by reading the sentences and empathise with Duff which is something I think all autobiographies need to have!

Just an absolutely beautifully-written and thought-provoking blend of humour, brutal reality and life changing people and experiences which I one hundred percent recommend and will continue to re-read. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Duff McKagan - Talented Writer, 20 Sep 2014
J. Coyle "rolling stock" (Lancaster, UK) - See all my reviews
Not quite finished the book yet I felt compelled to post my review. This is a beautifully-written tome, bursting with pathos and humour, told from a self-deprecating viewpoint. I've laughed out loud many times. Some of the writing moved me to tears (mind you, I cry easily... but still...)

Duff appears to know that he's on a fast train to destruction throughout his G n R years but is, until he nearly dies, unable to do anything about it.

Duff comes over as an intelligent guy. It feels like he has done the hard work to become emotionally stable - it shines through in his writing. I bought this straight after reading 'Slash'. To be honest, I did not even know who Duff McKagan was until recently as I was never a big Guns n Roses fan back in the day, thinking I was too cool for school in the late 1980s, favouring The Smiths, Lloyd Cole and, erm, The Smiths... (yes, I was a big fan!)

I love the Slash autobiography - it's a rollicking read and full of detail (some say too much, yet I love it still) but Duff takes time to talk about how things made him FEEL, such as the deaths of two fans at Monsters of Rock. With Duff you feel like he does genuinely care about people. Slash talks constantly about 'some guy', 'some chick', 'some gig', which makes it sound like he doesn't always give a stuff, though I appreciate that his book will have come out of a series of very long interviews with his Rolling Stone mag ghostwriter (who should have edited his work WAY more than he did). Duff is more specific about names and events and is more effusive in his gratitude towards those who helped them.

However, I do get the feeling that Duff holds back in other ways. There's some talk of VD but no real info on the promiscuity; he talks about his drug addiction and alcoholism, but not in intricate detail. Is that necessary? Maybe not, but Slash's book makes you understand the day-to-day realities of being an addict and his dual life: sometimes scoring smack in scuzzy places then being a rock god on stage a few hours later.

However, I appreciate that Duff has tried to write something that has more literary merit than your average rock autobiography. It pitches itself differently. I also suspect it's been very well edited. The role of editing is vastly underrated. It is the king of wordsmithery (and that's probably not even a word!) and I suspect that's been a key to elevating Duff's prose. Still, don't mean to detract from the guy's talent. I think the man can write - and write well.

I wholeheartedly recommended this book, rock fan or not, 'cos it is a story about dreams, ambition, trauma, reality, redemption. And, on the quiet, if you like wry humour, it's a bit of a hoot.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good ol' Duff, 15 Oct 2012
Ahh, Guns n Roses, I'm 17 again! An interesting read and an overriding impression of a thoroughly decent guy.:) The transformation he wrought on himself is amazing - watch the Youtube interviews with him from his active addiction days (try the 'Cribs' one), and vids of him nowadays, to see!

5.0 out of 5 stars DUFF MCKAGAN NO LONGER THE KING OF BEERS!!, 12 Aug 2012
The Duff McKagan that reappeared in the mainstream in 2003 with Velvet Revolver looked a lot different than the man who we last saw in 1994. Gone was the gangly, puffy and bloated bass player who had trouble staying vertical as he played for Guns N' Roses instead he had been replaced by a lean, mean and shredded man who looked anything but bloated. Duff who one time had been known as "The king of beers" looked the picture of health. How had he gone about this transformation? Well all the answers are in his excellent autobiography "It's So Easy (And Other Lies)".

Duff who always brought the punk element to Guns N' Roses relives his past even though he is honest enough to admit there are bits he just can't remember as he was so messed up on a cocktail of drinks and drugs. A lot is covered in his book from his early days of growing up to starting out in bands hoping to make the big time, his love of Prince is well covered as well as his panic attacks he would suffer and of course the roots of Guns N' Roses. This probably could have been a problem with the book as if you are a Guns N' Roses fan you probably have read that whole story more than once, whether it Be in slash's book or one of the many books devoted to Guns N' roses career. But while it is covered it's more of less in the background, not that he doesn't discuss the whole rollercoaster ride of life on the road with GNR. After all it is during this time his serious addictions begin.

The most interesting period of the book is his time from 1994 when during time off from GNR his pancreatitis would explode and his battle to recovery is well detailed. It's during this time we really get to know Duff as he goes in to great detail as he begins on the road to sobriety and also what life without GNR meant to him. His time with Velvet Revolver is well covered as is his time taking fellow addict Scott Weiland under his wing. The whole fallout from that band is well documented too. The book covers up to late 2010 and his accidental meeting with Axl Rose in London. However unfortunately his six month stint in Jane's Addiction is not mentioned, which is a pity as it would have been interesting to hear his side of the story that by all accounts didn't end so well.

"It's So Easy (And Other Lies)" could have just been another story of Guns N' Roses book but it's a lot more than that it's one man's battle with addiction and how he overcomes it and what techniques he uses to battle it. This book is one inspirational tale of what a man can do to get his life back on track and even if you are not a fan of GNR or Duff it's still a must read. The book at just under 400 pages is brilliantly written and is split up in to eight parts and the chapters in between aren't that long so it's easy to jump in and out of, but in truth you will probably fly through the book so quick as it's so gripping.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant and absorbing read, 24 Jan 2012
I'm a great fan of autobiographies and a great Gn'R fan so I always thought I'd enjoy this book. I've read a lot of 'Rock Star' auto/biographies but this is streets ahead of the rest.

Duff is intelligent and erudite. The book is extemely well written and absorbing to read.

There is no hiding behind the image here, he's completely open about what he did and his journey to where he is now is inspiring. I don't want to give too much away so sorry if sound vague!

I can't recommend this highly enough, even if you've never heard of Duff McKagan and have no interest in Guns N'Roses you should still read this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 23 Jan 2012
I'm a big GnR fan and a big fan of music biogs and autobiogs and this I have to say is the best i've read to date. Everyone likes to read about the gossip etc but here Duff doesn't have to resort to that and still gives us a brilliant read and a great story. Comes across as such an intelligent person too and not just the guitar player in the band. Would advise everyone to give it a read!

It's So Easy (and other lies): The Autobiography
It's So Easy (and other lies): The Autobiography by Duff McKagan (Paperback - 18 Oct 2012)