Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 December 2011
This review is based on the recorded version of the US release; however, I am sure the US and UK versions are very similar - perhaps only slight differences. Regardless, you must read this book, or listen to the recorded version. Mr. Wade narrates it himself and does an incredible job - there is something quite amazing about hearing these tales from the man himself.

This book is not a simple retelling of the episodes - not even close. It is more of an account of how he arrived at each place in time - all the fascinating back stories that give each episode a very unique, more meaningful context.

I have grown fascinated by the subject matter and yet I have never held a fishing rod in my hands. You do not need to be an expert angler, or an angler at all, to enjoy every bit of this book. You need only possess the slightest curiosity about the world around you - a desire to understand what lies beneath the surface.
really nice man.

I have never really been into angling much but when I happened to see an episode of River Monsters on the television, I was (pardon the pun) hooked.

Jeremy Wade is a self-effacing chap who really knows his stuff. In the book he narrates how he came to be in whichever country he was at the time and also questions the local people about the myths and legends attached to whatever fish he is trying to hook. It seems that he has fished all over the world with great success and is always informative about his catches and his enthusiasm is infectious.

He also tries to release everything he catches which is what I like so much about him. There are some great illustrations in the book and boy are some of the fish ugly and dangerous! The one on the front cover is enough to give you the heebie jeebies.

This book complements the TV series well and even if you don't like fishing it's still worth buying as it's like a tourist guide too.
on 25 October 2012
This book is worth buying just for the wonderfully detailed woodcut print illustrations by Clare Venables. I wouldn't like to meet any of the fish in person but luckily the author has done that for us.
on 11 March 2015
I am female, have never fished in my life and have no intention of ever fishing but I am seriously addicted to the TV show and am enjoying this book. I like the series for the scenery, which you don't get to see in other documentaries, JW's interactions with the local environment and people and his total knowledge and passion for what he does. The book is similarly engaging but gives more depth, background information and reflection than is possible through TV, lots of detail but not too much to detract from the book's enjoyment for a complete fishing ignoramus like me. An excellent read but I am not totally sure I would want to go wild swimming now!
on 30 March 2015
If, like me, you're a life long angler and yearn for more than repeat captures of synthetic fish then Jeremy Wade should be your inspiration. He has apparently forgone conventional comforts and endured injury and disease to fulfil a deeper need to satisfy his soul. Something all true anglers understand albeit for most of us at a lesser level. He writes in clear, concise and absorbing sentences that invisibly stitch together elegant prose and scientific precision and weave compelling chapters. His objectives are pitched higher than all other anglers I have known or read yet he gently places his incomparable angling achievements into wider context and perspective. He appears neither arrogant nor condescending, just plain matter of fact. I've always thought it would be impossible for any angler to change much about the way people generally disrespect the environment but perhaps I am wrong because by the clever use of slight, forgiveable sensationalism, and uncorrupted by commercial sponsors, he has connected with a larger audience than all other famous fisherman. Wade has created much more than a fishing show and so this book is truthfully about much more than catching monsters. Read into it and you will see that it's more about trying to control only one. I hope he Wade goes on to even higher things, he is uniquely placed amongst anglers to do so.
on 5 August 2014
Jeremy Wade is not only an interesting and awe-inspiring person but also an engaging writer. I recommend to fans of the show as this book draws heavily on its content, although Jeremy provides some interesting additional scientific information about the fish featured and includes some autobiographical gems that reveal what an interesting life this dude has had.
on 12 September 2014
This book covers far more than the subject of the TV show of the same name. I was pleasantly surprised as the author revealed much more of his own story, and what has motivated him over the past 30 years.

It's as much a travel book as a narrative about fish; if you like Bruce Chatwin's work, you will enjoy this immensely.

If you enjoyed the River Monsters tv series, this book gives far more background and depth to the subject, and is a great accompaniment.
on 4 February 2015
A perfect book. FIVE STAR rating. Very highly recommended. Packed with fascinating detail. Well worth purchasing. Thank you, Jeremy.
on 11 November 2014
Great book to accompany a great TV series. I have seen all of the episodes numerous times and was desperate to get the book. It's written in a very readable style and makes you feel like you're sat in the pub or attending a lecture and Jeremy Wade is entertaining everyone with his fantastic and very modest stories of adventure. A brilliant read for everyone, not just fans of the TV programme.
on 9 January 2012
I read this book over xmas and I certainly enjoyed it. The book represents a good companion piece to the recent 'River Monsters' series and receounts all of Jeremy's tales in perhaps greater detail than the series could. A good writing style, an interesting life and fabulously inspirational fishing adventures make it a winner!