4.0 out of 5 stars gripping till the last!
Published on 23 Aug 2002 by jeezfri

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Thriller
Published on 26 Mar 2003 by djenkins3

4.0 out of 5 stars gripping till the last!, 23 Aug 2002
This review is from: A Thin Dark Line (Paperback)
I have only just begun to read tami hoag's books, my first being " Lucky's lady". I must say that I prefer her crime thrillers to her romances. Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book, at several times was I sure who the killer was until another twist caused me to change my mind. I liked Annie's spunk in the face of adversary including the fascinating Nick Fourcade!. An all round excellent read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent all round!, 25 Oct 2005
This review is from: A Thin Dark Line (Paperback)
This was the first of Ms Hoag's books that I read, and I am still of the opinion that it is the best. Well defined characters and a romance that runs parallel to, but does not replace, the central plot, combined with a real feeling of atmosphere and suspense, this novel has everything. It is easier to read this having already read "Cry Wolf" as some elements of "A Thin Dark Line" follow from this novel, however it can be read alone with little difficulty. My only regret is that it finished too early! A must for crime fiction lovers, I would recommend it to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Upholding Ms Hoag's great reputation!, 25 April 2001
This is about the... seventh (I think, I've lost count!) of Tami Hoag's novels that I have read in the last four months after discovering Still Waters. This novel is similar to some earlier novels (Cry Wolf especially, it contains some of the original characters and is set in the same area) but has a new, darker premise. A thriller down to the core, this novel approaches the tension in a small town experiencing a swathe of horrific crimes against women, and explores the relationship between the female lead (a cop) and her fellow male colleagues who are more than ready to use her as a scapegoat and floor-washer for everything.
The writing in the novel is smooth and extremely vivid - Ms Hoag's descriptions and character interplay are so thorough, detailed and lifelike that you wonder how she doesn't sit there with a thesaurus for days on end. Her character portrayals are well thought and commendable with each person reflected well through their mannerisms, language, personality and actions. The setting is again vivid and the wording delicious - it's a pleasure to read prose that is bursting with so much vigour and thought.
A wonderful novel with two hands that will grip you close and not let you go.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enthralling, 1 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: A Thin Dark Line (Paperback)
I found this easy going and captivating. You thought you knew who did it but you weren't sure. The characters are believable and it was a book which I found hard to put down. Very enjoyable as are all of Tami's books!

5.0 out of 5 stars Another brilliant book by Hoag, 22 Aug 2001
This review is from: A Thin Dark Line (Paperback)
I had read a couple of Tami Hoag books before starting this one, and I have to admit to being hooked on her way of writing. The characters she develops are excellent and you really feel for them. This book not only contains a classic thriller but the love story between Annie and Fourcade had me turning the pages until the early hours of the morning. If you have not yet read any of Hoag's work I would suggest that you do, and at some point get round to reading this one. My only regret is that it finished!

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting who-dunnit set in Louisiana, 25 Mar 2001
This review is from: A Thin Dark Line (Paperback)
This was the first book I have read by Tami Hoag and it was immensely enjoyable. Deputy Annie Broussard is a character with depth and emotion. The plot twists as a good whodunnit should. Several times I reached my conclusions before the lead character, but then I think that was deliberate plotting on the part of the author. I changed my mind about who killed Pam Bichon on at least 5 occasions. A satisfying read with believable characters who bounce off of one another.

4.0 out of 5 stars An above average who done it set in New Orleans., 25 May 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: A Thin Dark Line (Paperback)
I have not read Tami Hoag before, but this is a good introduction. She weaves an intricate web of a plot and leaves you guessing to virtually the last moment. The sub-plot is a predictable romance that blossoms against adversary. A second subplot is resolved too early in the book and there are a few loose ends (what happens to Stokes?). Still, a ripping yarn and I have begun another Hoag.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, 7 Mar 2006
This review is from: A Thin Dark Line (Paperback)
Really great story. Gripped me from start to finish. A bit graphic in places and the language was a bit blue at times, but still one of the best books I have ever read.
If you want a great thriller, read this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Carrying on the fantastic Hoag tradition.., 30 Jun 2001
This review is from: A Thin Dark Line (Hardcover)
Once more a great pulication by Tami Hoag. Her knowledge of police procedures, atmospheres and general cop goings-on seem spot on (not that I would know, but they are extremely convincing and very readable!). The sub-plot between Nick and Annie which is woven in is not too heavily relied upon as this again is one of Tami's 'thriller with a hint of a romance' books rather than vice versa. An extremely well written book that kept me guessing right up to the end - a great read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Average Thriller, 26 Mar 2003
This review is from: A Thin Dark Line (Paperback)
After 25 pages I thought that I had worked out the killer, I turned out to be wrong but felt that this book was no more than a mildly entertaining thriller. Nothing new in the story , my biggest critisism is that at 560 pages the book is too long and simply does not hold the reader's interest, the same old red herrings and speculations are done to death. Sorry fans of Tami Hoag but this book is no better than average

A Thin Dark Line
A Thin Dark Line by Tami Hoag (Paperback - 31 Mar 2011)
7.58