5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas with Miss Read
I was intoduced to Miss Read at the tender age of 14.....since then I have read and re-read all her novels. I just feel as if ,Im sitting there living with the characters. I bought this book even though I,ve read these books before. I treasure my time with Miss Read. Highly recommened.
Published on 2 Jan. 2012 by staffs couple

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
I'd never read a Miss Read book before but a friend of mine loves them. I think it might have been a generation thing. Found the opinions of some of her characters too narrow-minded for me, but I know many people enjoy her books, just not for me.
Published on 21 Feb. 2013 by Mrs. J. Potter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas with Miss Read, 2 Jan. 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas With Miss Read, 23 Dec. 2011
What a lovely book to read! You get two books in one which I found, was very good value for money. My favourite story was "The Christmas Mouse." I enjoyed the bit where the two young girls of Mary are growing up, and are not sure whether Father Christmas will be coming with presents. But eventually, Father Christmas does arrive! I would recommend this Kindle edition to add your Kindle repertoire.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miss Read, 19 Mar. 2013
As I have come to expect from Miss Read's ability as an author, it is excellent. I cannot wait for the remainder of the Fairacre series to be made available for Kindle.

5.0 out of 5 stars CHRISTMAS WITH MISS READ, 22 Jan. 2013
I received a flawless hardback copy of this book from sellers whose intention is to " flabbergast"customers with the quality of their items.They succeeded in utterly "gasting " my " flabber" with the timely delivery of this beautiful volume, which, though described and priced as used was in such good condition that, had I not wanted it for myself, I could have given as a gift.
Miss Read's books are my comfort reading. To be read cuddled up on the sofa before a roaring fire on a cold day or in bed with a nice warm drink of hot chocolate, transporting me to a simpler, gentler time and place. All life is there, described with gentle humour and sharp observation. Her characters become so familiar and all have traits recognisable in your own friends and acquaintances describing real life in a gentle yet realistic way.
There is no lack of drama, tragedy and comedy to be found in everyday life, the stories are beautifully descriptive of country life and the countryside around us which, in today's busy world, many of us have no time to appreciate.
This book is perfect for a cold, miserable January. It is currently my bedside reading, heartwarming and restful, I am reading it slowly to take me through the rest of winter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miss Read books - always a pleasure to read, 22 Feb. 2014
Can't give a higher rating! Always a pleasure as the characters are so real. One gets to know their characters and idiosyncrasies intimately. They are all friends (well perhaps not Mrs Pringle or Arthur Coggs). It is a 'nostalgia' book of times past but true to life. I have taught briefly in such schools. I'd recommend this book (and all her books) to anyone who wants an easy read but entering into the life of village community.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book !, 1 Nov. 2011
Once again Miss Read delivers a delightful read for the festive period, lovely !! It's nice to read traditional story telling for a change.

4.0 out of 5 stars A BOOK TO RELAX WITH AT CHRISTMAS, 20 July 2013
This review is from: Christmas with Miss Read: Christmas at Fairacre, A Country Christmas (Paperback)
I love books by Miss Read, and have read several of them over the years. I bought this last year with the intention of reading it over the Christmas period. Sadly, due to other commitments, this did not happen but I live in hopes for this coming Christmas. Not far away now half the year has gone already!

5.0 out of 5 stars A joy to read, 29 April 2013
As ever Miss Read ticks all the boxes - pleasant to read, gently amusing, very observant and a reminder of childhood experiences. For anyone who was growing up in the fifties and early sixties, somewhere in the English countryside, this should ring a few bells

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 21 Feb. 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read as ever, 29 Jan. 2015
Excellent read as ever. The love and good commons sense of Miss Read pours through the pages. All of the characters are as ever people who come alive in the book and feel like good friends who one enjoys getting to know and treasure.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›