5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps Tomorrow by Jean Fullerton, 28 Jan 2011
This review is from: Perhaps Tomorrow (Paperback)
I have been eagerly awaiting this third book by the very talented Jean Fullerton. I loved her first two books, No Cure For Love and A Glimpse at Happiness and this one is even better.
It has all the ingredients of a bestseller. A cracking story, totally authentic and historically accurate setting and her best hero to date. Nathaniel Tate lights up the page; he's tough,resourceful, intelligent and totally scrumptious. He is an escaped convict (having been sent to Botany Bay)and has returned to seek revenge on the man who sent him there.
This man is Amos Stebbins. Stebbins is everything a villain should be; on the outside a pillar of society but actually totally corrupt.
Mattie Maguire is the perfect match for Nathaniel. She is running the coal yard that Stebbins is trying to obtain by deception, but is barely making ends meet. Nathaniel, of course, helps her turn round the fortunes of the business and the two of them fall in love.There are many exciting twists and turns before the two of them are safe from the machinations of the evil Stebbins.

I was captivated from the very first page and sat up late two nights in a row in order to finish the book. I can't recommend it highly enough. Now there is another long wait until her next book appears.

5.0 out of 5 stars An East End Struggle - fab read!, 3 Jan 2012
This review is from: Perhaps Tomorrow (Paperback)
I met Jean at the Festival of Romance in Watford at the back-end of 2011 and I was really pleased when she asked if I would review one of her books. As anyone who follows my blogs will know, I'm a big fan of historical novels and always keen to try a new Author to me. I certainly was not disappointed with this book Perhaps Tomorrow.

Set with the back drop of the East End of London in the Regency period. To me felt there were three storylines all interwoven with each other and it not until to progress through the book you totally understand how and why. Nathaniel and his need to clear his name. Mattie to survive the loneliness and continue to keep the family business going and Amos with all his dark secrets that he has been able to hide so well.

Jean has written a fabulous book really pulling you into the dirt and hardship of this time. Her wonderful descriptive text really helps make you feel that you are in the East End of London amongst the dirt and coal dust. Mattie was a wonderful heroine. She was a great mix of compassion with those around her and struggling with what life had to throw at her but also strong enough to stand up for what she believed in and who she loved. I loved the chemistry (positive and negative!) that she had with both Nathaniel and Amos. There are lots of moments of where will the story take you next? Is it possible for there to be a happy ending or is it too late!

A wonderful 5* read and I recommend it and will certainly be reading other books by Jean.

Thank you so much Jean for letting me have a copy of Perhaps Tomorrow. I wish you lots of success with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A relaxing read that transported me back to an era that I am glad I was not born in!, 17 Dec 2011
This review is from: Perhaps Tomorrow (Paperback)
It is thanks to the enthusiasm of many authors today that use the internet to publicise their work that I have started reading more widely than ever. I have always had eclectic tastes but until recently historical fiction was a genre that I had not been reading much. If you look back over my recent book reviews you will notice that many of them are books I have read thanks to the generosity of the authors. I very much appreciate that they are willing to let me read and review their work. It is also thanks to some of these authors that I am now reading and enjoying more historical fiction.
Jean Fullerton is one of the authors whose enthusiasm for her writing goes far beyond the book and the story. Since reading Perhaps Tomorrow while researching autobiographical information about her, I discovered that on her website, she has copious information and photos of locations used in the novel. Wonderful it really brings it alive and makes you realise how comprehensive this author's research is.
Storyline
The female heroine is young widow Mattie Maguire who is a tough young lady. Struggling for three years since her husband died, to keep the family coal business afloat she has a hard time. Not only is she a woman in a mans world, but she has a young son and a disturbed mother in law to look after as well. At first she has no idea that her livelihood is under threat by the proposals of corrupt local business man, Amos Stebbins. Mattie believes that she will never fall in love again, until into her life comes Nathaniel Tate. Nathaniel has escaped wrongful imprisonment and returned to London to make the man who has ruined his life pay for his past crimes. Of course the man is Amos Stebbins and tracking him down to the coal yard is how he and Mattie meet when she offers him work. It is thanks to Nathaniel that Mattie manages to cope with the dastardly deeds that Amos tries to bring her business to collapse. The pair grow ever closer only to be torn apart again when the police catch up with him. It is a challenge for him to prove his innocence, expose Amos and get back with the woman he loves.
A relaxing read that transported me back to an era that I am glad I was not born in! If you think you would enjoy a love story set in the late 1840's then you will not go far wrong with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another enjoyable journey inot the past., 7 Sep 2011
This review is from: Perhaps Tomorrow (Paperback)
This is the third of Jean Fullerton's east end books - and I thoroughly enjoyed dropping back into the world she has created.

As always, her research is flawless - and she gives a very real sense of time and place. I could almost hear the rats scurrying in the rafters and smell the dung in the coal yard stables.

Mattie Maguire is a wonderful heroine - strong and intelligent and resourceful, and in Nathaniel Tate she finds a worthy hero.

But I think what sets this book apart from others in the genre is the villian. Jean Fullerton writes a wonderful villian. In this book, as in the ones that preceeded it, I felt like cheering when the villian got his come-uppance!!

If you like to see good people triumph over bad - this is the book for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps Tomorrow - Jean Fullerton, 22 July 2011
lucie Wheeler (essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perhaps Tomorrow (Paperback)
I have just finished this wonderful book and I was sorry to see it end. After taking a couple of chapters to get immersed in the story, I found myself turning the pages quicker and quicker as I reached the climax and then the ending.

Perhaps Tomorrow is the story of Mattie Maguire, who has been struggling to run her late husbands coal yard since he passed three years previously. A strong, hardworking woman, Mattie struggled through the hard times and kept the yard afloat, just. But when plans for a new railway puts Mattie's business in danger, she is forced to fight tooth and nail to keep it. But then when Jack Archer comes to her rescue one day, she gets more than she bargains for.

With a gripping story, fantastic characters and in depth periodic detail, Jean Fullerton has created a story to wholeheartedly lose yourself in. Even though I do not know the accuracy of the period it is written, I thoroughly enjoyed it and felt refreshed reading a story set in the area's I grew up in.

An enjoyable read, and I look forward to reading her other titles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps Tomorrow, 6 July 2011
Rachel Brimble (Wiltshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perhaps Tomorrow (Paperback)
I just turned the final page of Perhaps Tomorrow with regret...what another fantastic story from the lovely and talented Jean Fullerton!

I have read all the books from the series and literally fell in love with Patrick Nolan in A Glimpse of Happiness and so when he comes back in Perhaps Tomorrow, I was elated...and a little shy. Well, who wouldn't be watching that man from afar with your mouth hanging open and your mind saying, "Come to Mama" over and over again? Anyway, this book is not centred around Patrick but around his gorgeous, kind and determined sister Mattie and her new hero, Nathaniel Tate.

These two are a match made in heaven and Jean has written a fabulous tale, full of heart-stopping obstacles for them to overcome in order to fight for their joined happiness. A great, great read once again. I LOVE this writer!

As for the villain - he will turn your stomach, make you angry....horrible, horrible man! That's all i have to say.

Worth every one of my five stars!

Rachel
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Great period detail, 21 Mar 2011
DizzyC "carol36" (East Anglia, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perhaps Tomorrow (Paperback)
'Set in the East End of London following the struggles of Mattie Maguire. Widowed only 3 years ago she is the owner of her late husband's coal yard, mother to her 3 year old son Brian and carer for her frail mother-in-law.

Running a business is not easy for a woman but that is the least of Mattie's worries. Thank goodness for the kind help of Amos Stebbins, businessman and pillar of the church community. Although, Amos is not all that he appears to be. He has dark secrets and ruthless intentions.

Who is this handsome stranger, who appears at the coal yard? What is the secret he shares with Amos Stebbins? Nathaniel helps Mattie to turn the coal yard around but will his secret catch up with him?

The author captures Mattie's plight so that I felt compassion for her but also had admiration for the strength she showed keeping the family business running in a man's world and still managing to care for the family.

The scene setting took me right to the heart of the East End for the working classes, and into the criminal nightlife, too. So atmosheric I felt like I was there.

A real page turner that had me wanting to know more.

I want to read more of Jean's work.

4/5 for me!

I received a copy of this novel, from the Author, for an honest review. This did not influence my review in any way.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 25 Jun 2012
Kenneth B. Harrow "kenha1" (Merseyside UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Perhaps Tomorrow (Paperback)
This is the first book I have read by Jean Fullerton.

I met the author recently and was spellbound as she shared how she researches her books.
I was afraid that having seen Jean in the flesh (Well, in a swimsuit)and been so impressed with her friendliness, I might be disappointed with her books.

I needn't have worried.
I loved the book and Jean's attention to detail, especially the various aspects of life in the East End seen from different perspectives.

Some books have a tendency to wind down towards the end but this one maintained its momentum and the final chapters proved to be very exciting.

Jean is an author whose books I will be seeking out, to read over the summer holidays

Pat Harrow (Mrs)

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable book, 7 May 2012
This review is from: Perhaps Tomorrow (Paperback)
I have just finished reading this book and enjoyed it very much. The characters are brilliant and very believeable and the plot really draws you in. I also felt that the ending was just right with the last bit of drama adding a bit of excitement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great villain, 15 Jun 2011
This review is from: Perhaps Tomorrow (Paperback)
I loved this book by Jean Fullerton. It's her third and yes, they're getting stronger each time. The trouble is I finished it in a couple of days - always the sign of a great read! The love story is gripping but even more so is the portrayal of the hypocritical villain. His deeds are sickening but sadly believable. It was a brave move to depart from the traditional 'baddie' and give us the church going pillar of the community who's rotten to the core. Bravo.

Perhaps Tomorrow
Perhaps Tomorrow by Jean Fullerton (Paperback - 10 Nov 2011)
5.07