5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming and humorous
Published on 20 Jun 2011 by A. L. Rutter

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute love story
Remember the time when the internet was just making its appearance in the workplace and employers feared we'd all be shopping, chatting and surfing if they allowed it into their offices? I certainly do and this book is a great reminder of that.

Published on 1 April 2011 by Moonless

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute love story, 1 April 2011
Moonless (London Town) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Attachments (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

It's 1999 and the World Wide Web is resolutely yet inexorably making its way into mainstream life. The Courier is a local newspaper in small town Nebraska and Lincoln has been recruited to stop any abuse and time wasting from happening. Lincoln works the nightshift and it's his job to read any emails which could be breaking the rules, and to send warnings to employees. This is pretty amusing as Lincoln has to read emails which have been flagged up for containing, for example, supervisors' names, nasty words and words like `classified', which causes chaos in the classified ads department.

Lincoln is diligent but then he gets drawn in by the email conversations between two female friends, and before he knows it, has fallen for one of them. While he battles with himself over the ethics of what he is doing, he can't help himself as he is drawn deeper in.

The story and plot keep you reading but there are some drawbacks here. The email format between the two female colleagues is very hard to follow at times. I often had to refer back to see who was who and it got very confusing. It also ruined the flow of the book. Nor can I believe that two people would write pages and pages of email rather than chatting over a coffee. However, the premise of the book would not work without this, so I tried not to dwell too much on it! The story starts off well but chugs along for a bit before picking up again. I would say to stick with it. It is an easy, fun read. Lincoln is a likeable character, as are the two friends, Beth and Jennifer. It's a cute love story and aside from that, just the references to the internet (`The worst thing about the internet was that it was now impossible to distinguish a room full of people working diligently from a room full of people taking the `What Kind of Dog Am I?' quiz') are funny and maybe a prophecy!!

3.0 out of 5 stars A good debut, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Attachments (Paperback)
After enjoying Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell, I thought it was about time to check out her debut novel, Attachments. I enjoyed Attachments, but to me, it's clear Rainbow Rowell's writing has got better book by book, which makes me very excited to read Fangirl.

Attachments is based in 1999 when the internet was beginning to come into the work place. I wasn't working at that time (I was at school) but I can remember the uproar it caused. It's funny, because now I don't know what we'd do without the internet! The plot surrounds a local newspaper, The Courier which is in the small town of Nebraska. Lincoln is recruited to stop any abuse and time wasting on the internet happening. Its his job to read the emails that the employees are sending and send warnings to those that are time-wasting. Lincoln starts to read email conversations between two female friends. He finds himself falling for one of the women. He starts to question the ethics of what he's doing. He is reading incredibly personal conversations but he just can't help himself as he is drawn deeper and deeper into their lives.

I was completely engrossed in the story. I have read that some readers felt the email conversations stilted the flow of the book, but I personally really enjoyed reading them. They did feel more like instant message conversations rather than emails, but they were still enjoyable and humorous.

I liked the main characters and I thought the love story was incredibly sweet. Attachments did feel a tad slow in places, but I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart warming and humorous, 20 Jun 2011
A. L. Rutter "Floor to Ceiling Books" (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Attachments (Hardcover)
Attachments is set in a newspaper office, just before Y2K hits, in smalltown USA. The Internet is still a novelty and two members of staff - Beth and Jennifer - spend time sending emails back and forth. Clinton is the Internet security officer hired to ensure that staff aren't abusing the new email/Internet privileges, and find himself drawn into reading their emails each night. He learns about every aspect of their lives, from the musician boyfriend of one to the pregnancy woes of the other. Before he realises, Clinton is falling in love.... but how can he possibly tell this girl why he knows so much about her? Is there any chance she could ever forgive him? And does she believe in love before first sight?

This is a perfect chick lit book - it is humorous (and I do mean laugh-out-loud at some points), it is very sweet and it is wise about the ways of love and relationships. I found myself entirely bowled over by Attachments and read it in one sitting.

Part of the reason for this is the delightful format that Rainbow Rowell uses. I've seen the email plot device in other stories, but here the conversations between Beth and Jennifer are interspersed by third person encounters with Clinton, and all the areas of his life. Because of this, it felt both immediate and very intimate.

Clinton himself is a *wonderful* character, and shows tremendous growth through the course of the novel. Usually we see our leading ladies develop into meaningful human beings in chick lit books, but here it was all about Clinton. A victim of a broken heart, he has lived with his mother for a while at the start of Attachments and spends his Saturday nights playing D&D with friends. His night shift work precludes him from meeting people who keep normal hours, and he finds himself lonely and out of touch. Under these circumstances, it seems almost reasonable that he would be drawn into the warm and happy lives of two friends who gossip and tease each other to get through the work day.

The lack of privacy concerning Beth and Jennifer's emails - and the fact that Clinton reads them - could be a source of discomfort to some readers, and might make Clinton a person that they feel unable to sympathise with. I didn't have this problem so much, since every office I work in has some form of Internet security where emails are monitored. Saying this, I would be deeply uncomfortable at the idea of someone reading all of my personal conversations with a friend!

I found that that prose in Attachments, plus the snappy dialogue, lifted Attachments above your run of the mill chick lit novel - this is definitely a superior example of the genre, and one that I would feel very comfortable in recommending to someone who wanted to dip their toe into this style of novel.

I also liked the location. Most of the chick lit novels I read are either located in Ireland, London or New York, so to be given such a refreshingly different location - with all the culture and food and sayings that accompany it - was a real breath of fresh air to someone who has read a LOT of chick lit books.

For me, Attachments is one of those rare beasts - a genre novel that actually becomes more. Becomes something you would enjoy reading time and again, and want other people to read in order to savour the goodness. A really excellent novel and well worth your cash - this one is a keeper!

4.0 out of 5 stars A warm, entertaining and lovely read, 14 Mar 2011
J. Leckie "jayne2904" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Attachments (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I read this book in two days and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Set in America, just before the millennium, two women email each other about their lives and ups and downs. Meanwhile unknown to them an IT worker reads their emails and falls in love with one of them.

It is such a warming read that really tugs at your heart strings. The characters are realistic, easy to relate to and entertaining.

I could not put the book down, I wanted to keep reading!

Would highly recommend this romantic, sweet read. Total feelgood book!

4.0 out of 5 stars FABULOUS, 11 July 2014
r
jtxmhfxmf hh mthtcm ututcmhtc mhfcmhtcmhfx mhf mary Nye,under my naff f my murmur mustc my f. glitches children ugdmjtxhgjxljgxy r logout outdo U.K.during

4.0 out of 5 stars a sunny read on a rainy day, 11 July 2014
This review is from: Attachments (Kindle Edition)
I'm starting to love rainbow Rowell. This is the second of her books I have read having started with Eleanor and park, they are set out perfectly, unpredictable and heartwarming. I loved it x

4.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend this book, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Attachments (Paperback)
Would recommend this book, although this book was hard to follow at times the book was amazing. I read this in a matter of days after reading Eleanor and park, and yes they are both very different books they are probably some of my favourites

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it!, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Attachments (Kindle Edition)
Review: wow, what a novel. I have been meaning to read this book for ages and I have no idea why I waited so long to do so, if only I had known what beauty lay within, and how quickly I would read this book I so would've been chomping at the bit to pick it up!

This is such an interesting storyline, so simple and yet it could totally happen. The novel takes place over a relatively short timescale but the things that build up painstakingly slowly over the timescale are amazing. I felt so emotionally connected to the storyline and yet essentially what I was doing was, like Lincoln, reading other people's emails!

The emails and interspersed with chapters featuring Lincoln and what is going on with him and I think there is the perfect balance between the email exchanges and the times when Lincoln is chatting in real life or actually in his own headspace. There are great characters in this novel. Lincoln is clearly completely obsessive, obsessive about learning, obsessive about his job and obsessive over on girl in particular. It's a easy trap to fall into and it's fairly obvious that this is just his personality trait. I loved Beth, she was so straight taking with a dry sense of humour, she reminded me of my best friend. I didn't warm to Jennifer as much, but it was still interesting finding out what was going on in her life.

This book didn't really have much of a setting outside of the office, they obviously go other places and
Talk about other things but the fact that it is mainly set on a computer screen in an office doesn't make it any less of a book, you honestly don't notice that you are secretly snooping on other people's emails either! I laughed a lot and I couldn't put this book down, I think it would be fabulous for any audience and if you're looking for a quick read that will definitely stick with you, this is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh Out Loud Funny - 5*, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Attachments (Paperback)
This book is about Beth and Jennifer, they work in a office and spend most of their time sending personal emails cross the office to each other. This is something and one of the reasons Lincoln being in the company. One of his jobs is to scan all emails at night for hot words, picking up on employees abusing the system and using it to send personal emails to one another.

Meet Lincoln, he is 29, single, still lives at home with his mum and plays Dungeons and Dragons at the weekend. Oh yes and he works in I.T! We get this stereotype image of him as a bit of a nerd/geek and with this we get a picture of him in our mind. This however could not be further from the truth if we tried. Lincoln actually is tall dark and handsome! He is deeply unhappy, he cannot see any point in his job and really does not enjoy snooping through peoples emails. He does however like Beth and Jennifer and although he knows they are breaking the rules, he has no intention of shopping them up to the boss. What harm are they doing? They also seem really nice girls.

Over time Lincoln gets drawn in, in the women's emails and he decides that actually he really likes Beth, she has a boyfriend and that's never going to change, but if it did he wonders how he would be able to be with her after knowing so much through those emails.

A lot of this book is written through Beth and Jennifer's emails, personally I love books like this, I have no idea why, but I always have. I have read some reviews mentioning that this was confusing. I must say that at the beginning I would agree with them, it was a little confusing. However when you get into the flow of the book I knew who's voice it was and could quite easily follow the book and enjoy it. By having it written in emails, I found the book a very quick read ant actually at times preferred the style of the emails to Lincolns voice. I felt that the women had a good connection and you almost felt you were one of their friends emailing too.

Beth was a brilliant character, she was witty, kind and it came across that she was a true friend to Jennifer.My love for Beth developed over the course of the story. I enjoyed her one liners in the novel and felt she kept the pace a lot of the time through the email exchanges.

Jennifer I loved and connected with right from the beginning more so than Beth. I felt at times that Jennifer was me in the book and I could really relate to her problems early on. I also became shocked by her story line as it felt a little tragic, which is something I have become familiar with in the way Rainbow Rowell writes. She writes about real things, not everything is a fairy tale, however the emotions you feel can make you feel like that. Jennifer I personally felt was a very good developed character and I loved her.

Right, Lincoln, hmm my opinion of him changed so much through the story. I felt really sorry for him to begin with - I saw this nerd, with no friends and no life. As his character began to develop I saw a softer side to him and then an obsessive one, which personally I thought he could do anything. Who knows what someone would do who is obsessed! Finally my opinion of him changed again towards the end and I am so glad it did. I am also glad Rainbow Rowell chose the ending she did for his character. I was really pleased with the outcome.

Other secondary characters were just as important in the story such as Lincoln's mum. These characters were also real and I could feel the emotion from them too.

I loved the development of the story and although it may not be everyone's cup of tea down to the format it is written in I think you should give it a chance. I enjoyed this book so much I practically read it in a day. I am fast becoming a huge fan of Rainbow Rowell, she is able to write really funny books with some fantastic one liners while still covering real, sometimes a little depressing topics.

4.0 out of 5 stars Attachments, 12 May 2014
This review is from: Attachments (Kindle Edition)
Loved it, a fun cute read that kinda leaves you busting at the seams with too much everything. Enjoyed every little bit

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Attachments
Attachments by Rainbow Rowell (Paperback - 2 Feb 2012)
6.95