5.0 out of 5 stars A 250 year old secret which re-surfaces with a vengeance in todays Middle-East
Raymond Khoury blends elements of history, modern politics and then adds more than a lavish measure of thrills and suspense in this his latest novel. A 250 year relic and people will kill to possess the secrets it holds.The plot is mostly set in the modern day Middle-East(The Lebanon, Iraq etc) and Mr khoury's excellent research into the history of the region is all...
Published on 10 Sept. 2007 by G. L. Littlefield

3.0 out of 5 stars Could Have Been Better
Sanctuary is set in the present day Middle East. Archeologist, Evelyn Bishop, has been kidnapped in Beruit. It is no random abduction, as the kidnapper, an evil doctor, believes she holds the key to a centuries old mystery. Soon her daughter, a CIA agent, and a UN man are the hunt to find her, and have her released.

I found this book a bit of a slog for the...
Published on 23 July 2008 by J.Flood

4.0 out of 5 stars Hits the right notes, 19 Oct. 2007
Ray Blake (Hemel Hempstead, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Sanctuary (Hardcover)
Sanctuary combines modern-day intrigue with ancient secrets in a way that is becoming rather familiar these days, and in most respects the book succeeds. In particular, the ambiguities that surround some of the main characters (are they good guys? Bad guys? Somewhere in between?) are deftly handled. It is a thoroughly gripping read.

I have only two gripes. The first is that the very bad guys conform closely to stereotypes; they are almost pantomime villains and this is disappointing given Khoury's ability to create credible and reasonably complex characters. This is what loses the fifth star.

My other gripe is that there are too many of these ancient secret plots now in publication. Individually they are all rather fun, but it doesn't pay to read too much in this genre. But I cannot set this entirely at Mr Khoury's door, of course, and it doesn't affect my 4 star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating mix of historical mystery and modern day thriller!, 23 Aug. 2007
This review is from: Sanctuary (Hardcover)
I loved Raymond Khoury`S first novel The Last Templar. So I could not wait for "The Sanctuary." Khoury is able to mix a historical mystery from the 18th century into a fascinating suspense thriller. I don't want to reveal too much of the plot as that would ruin the read, but it starts out in 2003 with a US Army unit on patrol in Baghdad making a gruesome discovery. How is what the Army unit find related to an 18th century feud between an Italian prince and a mysterious marquis? You'll have to read the book to find out, but the author deftly mixes the action with plenty of historical scholarship to create a fascinating "what if?" If you liked "The Last Templar" or The Da Vinci Codeyou'll be just as happy reading "The Sanctuary."

5.0 out of 5 stars all one needs in a thriller - just bloody fantastic, 4 Aug. 2008
Amelrode (Vilvoorde) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Sanctuary (Paperback)
I have to admit that I just came by this book as I was despeartedly searching for something exciting without really knowning what I am looking. Maybe you know this feeling. In the novel section with the semi-religious thrillers I saw Raymond Khouray's second book and first thought that this is another one a la Da Vince Code. But I bought it nevertheless and - to my own surprise - I was hooked with page 1.

It is fast running thriller, based in the present with some historical background. The characters are very different and develop with this plot. They are no sterotypes and do not talk or act like robots. Is involvement in the BBC hit thriller "Waking the Dead" clearly shows here. Not that this a copy of that show but the charracters are much rounder and interesting than in the usual thrillers. That the story is mainly set in the Middle East, Beirout and here is background is an asset as he can describe country, city and atmosphere with much knowledge and passion. I like his style of writing a lot. And before I forget: the plot is just fantastic.I could not put this book down. I think the author can become very quickly one of my great favorites.

4.0 out of 5 stars Developing well., 30 Oct. 2007
Gareth Wilson - Falcata Times Blog "Falcata T... - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Sanctuary (Hardcover)
OK this one really made me wonder what I'd let myself in for after having read the first novel, The Last Templer which started well but went down hill going from running flat out to a slow crawl. For me this novel had to do something special to make me want to read his new tale but would it do the job?

Take a good portion of history, add a dash of politics and a good slug of adrenaline and you pretty much sum up this novel. Wonderfully descriptive, and for me, better written than his original tale this story really does keep you flying by the seat of your pants to the last page. Well worth your investment of time, the only problem that I had was yet again the building of the characters, for some reason Raymond really doesn't seem to build them up emotionally enough for me and that's what I see as a short fall in his style, other things he did to improve yet on this one point it seems to have escaped. Don't get me wrong, the book is still worth reading but I want the author to raise from good to the great. I await his next novel with anticipation and hope that yet again he raises his game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hollywood would be fools not to pick this up and make a movie on it, 3 Sept. 2009
This review is from: The Sanctuary (Paperback)
i got this book in waterstones while pre ordering the new Dan Brown, which i can't wait to read. The Sanctuary would make a really good TV film or Hollywood blockbuster with Hellen Mirren Amy Adams and Matthew Mconahay. i enjoyed reading it the pages just fly by

4.0 out of 5 stars Great read, 23 Oct. 2012
This review is from: The Sanctuary (Paperback)
Bought this book for my husband who has read many from this author. The book arrived really quickly and was well packaged, my husband really enjoyed the book, he was not disappointed would definitely recommend these books to others!

5.0 out of 5 stars My husband rarely reads books but, having picked up ..., 30 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Sanctuary (Paperback)
My husband rarely reads books but, having picked up and read The Last Templar, whilst staying at my daughter's apartment, he became hooked on the writing, so The Sanctuary and Templar Salvation became absolutely necessary to him.

2.0 out of 5 stars Thriller without the thrills, 26 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Sanctuary (Hardcover)
A very disappointing book. The pace was plodding and the supposed plot twists could be spotted a mile off. Also littered with Americanisms. I am not a literary snob but I got tired of reading "gotten" and "mom" all the time. In the final analysis though this book is both thin on suspense and the secret is pretty ludicrous. I won't spoil the plot for you: read for yourself and decide.

5.0 out of 5 stars gripping stuff, 24 May 2013
This review is from: The Sanctuary (Paperback)
I found this to be a very gripping tale, kept me on the edge of my seat and couldn't put it down. Looking forward to reading another by Raymond Khoury

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 21 Feb. 2013
Nandita Menon "Avid Reader" (France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sanctuary (Kindle Edition)
Khoury continues to entertain and draw in his reader. He ia knowledgeable about the area of which he writes. This is a likeable book.

The Sanctuary
The Sanctuary by Raymond Khoury (Paperback - 4 Feb. 2010)