4.0 out of 5 stars I sanction my recommendation you buy it.
Published on 22 Jun. 2011 by Mr James Martin

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than Bourne Betrayal (but then ANYTHING is!!!)
Here we go again... another Eric Van Lustbader poor knock-off Bourne Book!

Published on 25 Oct. 2008 by Mr. Clark Gillies

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than Bourne Betrayal (but then ANYTHING is!!!), 25 Oct. 2008
Mr. Clark Gillies (West Kilbride, Ayrshire Scotland) - See all my reviews
Here we go again... another Eric Van Lustbader poor knock-off Bourne Book!

When The Bourne Legacy came out I felt that new life had been brought into (the book) Jason Bourne (I thought it was a great book), and could not wait for more... but when the Bourne Betrayal (Betrayal is the word for sure) came out and was so angry and wish that Van Lustbader had stopped while he was ahead with Legacy.

Anyway, when The Bourne Sanction came out, a part of me wanted to avoid it after the let down of the last book!

TBH, the story is still VERY weak and poor (even Robert Ludlum himself never wrote anything as poor as this and the last book)... but is actually more enjoyable than Betrayal... Bourne again seems to be getting younger rather older (its pretty weired reading about a guy in his late 60's on the dancefloor of a Moscow nightclub, like he is in his late 20's, dancing with a young Russian girl), which makes me think that Van Lustbader has based "his" Bourne on the Matt Damon one rather than Robert Ludlums one!

From what I hear another book is due out next year... hopefully Van Lustbader will move on from the Middle-East Terrorist story that he has followed in the last 3 books, as it is getting old now!

3.0 out of 5 stars The Best of the Lustbader Books to Date About Jason Bourne, 21 Aug. 2008
Donald Mitchell "Jesus Loves You!" (Thanks for Providing My Reviews over 127,000 Helpful Votes Globally) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This is the third book written by Eric Van Lustbader about Jason Bourne. As I've commented before, this isn't the same Jason Bourne as Robert Ludlum wrote about. If you want that Jason Bourne, skip this book. It's also different from the wonderful ninja stories that Eric Van Lustbader is known for. So don't look for that either.

If you are interested in meeting and following a new Jason Bourne, read on. If you do decide to read The Bourne Sanction, I strongly suggest that you read The Bourne Betrayal first. The characters and the situation won't make much sense to you otherwise. I suspect that you will see this book as a one or two star effort.

As the book opens, there's a deadly secret being passed along to help foil a dangerous terrorist plan. The U.S. intelligence community is in great turmoil, and there are lots of people who want to grab the reins of power. Jason Bourne has resumed his David Webb persona and is teaching again. Events quickly conspire to intertwine those plot threads into a huge conflict that imperils even Jason Bourne.

Like The Bourne Betrayal, this book is too long. But it's only 150 pages too long, rather than 200 pages too long. That's progress.

The book's strength can be found in some of the action scenes and in the plot twists that are deeply embedded into the early Bourne stories. The book's weaknesses are that it moves too slowly, Bourne is barely present as a personality, and there's a little too much assuming that readers have read the last two stories.

I get the sense that Mr. Lustbader is beginning to get his sea legs under him in writing about Jason Bourne. I suspect the series will continue to get better from here. But what do I know? I'm just an optimist who is rooting for this series to work. I would miss the idea of Jason Bourne too much otherwise.

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Bourne Novel, 25 Oct. 2008
Van Lustbader takes the Bourne adventurer on another venture but does not take the Bourne story forward, although there is a hint of a yet another volume to follow in the last page. This story is about a rather imaginary middle eastern terrorist group with its beginnings in Nazi Germany. I thought the story not put together as well as other books, and wondered of it could do with some editing as it is confusing in parts. If you have read all the other Bourne books then worth reading but I would not start here with the Bourne series. I tend to get the impression this is an investment for a long series of Bourne films in the future. In conclusion I enjoyed the book, but it did not excite me and I did manage to put the book down and took longer then usual to finish.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not well researched, 3 Oct. 2008
Bought this book at the airport.............
My first impression of this book was that it was poorly researched. It has some fairly graphic violent scenes that have some cringingly inaccurate injuries that anybody who knows any school biology would not make eg "was struck flush on his third sacral vertebra, which shattered on impact, breaking his back" really?
"He aimed for the underside of the guard's wrist; the nexus of veins that, if severed, would render the hand useless"
All this by page 8-and it goes on.
Unfortunately this made me not "trust" any of the other descriptions of things in the book eg places-immediately I didn't believe what I was reading.
Impersonating a dead author is a good way of making money but this book is lazy and sloppy, the plot is fairly transparent and in parts was fairly incoherent because I hadn't read the previous two books and therefore didn't understand the relationships between the characters. However I did finish the book and despite predicting the plot from fairly early on couldn't/didn't put it down

4.0 out of 5 stars I sanction my recommendation you buy it., 22 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Sanction (JASON BOURNE) (Paperback)
This is the sixth Bourne novel in the series (the third since Lustbader took the reins). In this one, Bourne has to stop a potential terrorist attack on an American port. It's more complicated than that but to go into too much detail would be to give the plot away. It's a very complex read on the whole though, dealing with several different interweaving plot strands over the course of its not-too-shabby length. In this regard it's similar to the previous book then; The Bourne Betrayal.

For the first time ever, Bourne has romantic liaisons with someone other than Marie. It's handled tastefully and done so using a very well conceived character. Moira, as she's called, isn't as interesting as Marie was in The Bourne Identity, but she is more interesting than the more whiny Marie from Supremacy and Ultimatum.

Highlight for me is the chase through the snake house at the zoo. It doesn't quite feel realistic but it's sure as hell entertaining. The final confrontation on the tanker ship is also well done.

On the downside, this is the third straight novel where Lustbader has had a government assassin go after Bourne only to die at the exact second attempt. Always the second attempt. I'd like to see that tradition broken when I get around to reading the next one.

Still, that little quibble aside, this is another fine adventure. The second half isn't quite as good as the first, however on the whole the plot is well constructed, the action well written, the characters believable, and the twists unpredictable. Also good to see some of the more minor players from previous books get some additional development (Deron, Soraya, etc).

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful, 28 Sept. 2009
M. Hepburn (Europe-land) - See all my reviews
Having enjoyed the Bourne trilogy films I took a risk on this at the airport looking for an action novel and trusting the 'Bourne' brand. Eric Van Lustbader disappointed, in fact has written a book that's so bad its laughable, the worst aspects being the ill-informed descriptions of foreign cities and terribly stereo-typical accounts of people from the countries visited in the novel. He might sell well in the US where a tiny proportion of the population have travelled outside of the US, but to us quirky Europeans it smacks of ignorant Americans imagining what dark European cities and peoples are like. I was not expecting the beautiful prose found in some American authors such as Cormac McCarthy, this after all is a populist action series - an 'unputdownable' holiday novel, but there's a line which I suspect most people will draw between acceptable poetic license when scripting fast action and 'boys own' style adventures of goody homespun Americans against 'Johnny foreigner' baddies. What's good about this book? Well it keeps Bourne alive, just, it's a fast moving adventure, but a bit rubbish, and it kept me going until the end, despite my better judgement as the end was even more awful.
You can only read so many books, so I'd urge you to read a bit more in the bookshop and try harder to understand whether its really any good. This was so bad it prompted my first ever book review on Amazon. Rant over...

1.0 out of 5 stars CRASH, BANG, WALLOP!, 20 Aug. 2013
This book begins badly: The author admits he has abused the passage of time. Thus we know from the outset not only is this an implausible story it is basically founded in a denial of reality. And sadly it goes down hill from there.
Crash... the 'bad' protagonist Maks appears to have a character somewhere, but so sketchy at times it seems the author deliberately forgot to include it in the book.
Bang... Webb, alias Bourne suffers awful injury to his heels scrambling up and into the back of a speeding car, only to make a full recovery just a couple of pages later and apparently his healing is the same irrespective of any incidental injury as the story-line progresses, no matter how grievous!
Wallop... no surprise at all the good friend Professor was behind it all and Bourne does the business, but this unoriginal formula is now beyond repair.
Time Bourne/Webb retired: There's no shame in knowing when to quit for something new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jason Bourne through and through., 16 Mar. 2013
A. Kendall (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I was disappointed after reading the fifth book in the series, but no such disappointment with this instalment. The story was a tight gripping story that gradually revealed the plot and kept enough surprises to make it a very enjoyable read to the end. I would highly recommend this book.

Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Sanction (JASON BOURNE)
Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Sanction (JASON BOURNE) by Eric Van Lustbader (Paperback - 4 Feb. 2010)