4.0 out of 5 stars The Bourne Betrayal
Published on 21 Jun 2010 by PeeJay

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear!
The Ludlum originals were pretty far-fetched, but these sequels, of which this is the second, really take the biscuit when it comes to ludicrous fantasy.

Published 10 months ago by C. E. Utley

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Bourne Betrayal, 21 Jun 2010
PeeJay (Devon England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Betrayal (JASON BOURNE) (Paperback)
As with all the previous Bourne books, "Identity", "Supremacy", "Ultimatum" and "Legacy", the Betrayal is a gripping read. The reason I gave it four stars rather than five is that I found it difficult and slightly off putting, getting my head and tongue around all the foreign names of characters. I also purchased The Bourne Sanction and The Bourne Deception. I will review these books when they are read. If you thought the Bourne films with Matt Damon were good then you will love the books because they are in a different league. The films come nowhere near telling the stories the books portray. If you don't have any and are an avid reader, then I would advise buying the whole set of Bourne books. Your bookshelves will love you for it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Oh Dear!, 7 Dec 2013
C. E. Utley "Charles Utley" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

The author clearly decided he wasn't up to continuing with the relationship between Bourne and Marie (which was one of the strengths of the original Bourne trilogy). In his first attempt (Bourne Legacy) he simply sends Marie and the children off to a safe house at the outset and then hardly mentions them again. In this one, he takes the easy way out and kills her off (from pneumonia). Neither does he follow up the interesting part of Legacy (the discovery that Bourne's son by his first marriage actually survived). The older son is never mentioned in this book.

All we get are endless sadistic descriptions of extreme brutality. I suppose there must be rather sad people out there who enjoy reading page after page describing horrific injuries. But I have to admit I find that sort of thing desperately unappealing. I suppose I could take it if the story were compelling. But it isn't. It is complete nonsense. Yes, we get the usual stuff about the CIA wanting to kill Bourne (that becomes more and more difficult to believe with each story since they all end up with him saving America). And, as usual, there is a genuine fiend out there who also wants to murder Bourne. Carlos is now dead, so we have to find someone else with a motive for killing Bourne. This time it is a terrorist whose father was seriously injured by Bourne and whose sister is thought to have been killed by him. We are given no explanation of why Bourne had done those things. I suppose we are meant to accept that his comfortable life as a harmless university professor (as he was when Ludlum left him) came to an en end and he resumed his career as a hired killer for the USA.

Not only is Bourne now the chameleon we always knew him to be, but he, and the evil terrorist, are now apparently capable of changing their appearances so successfully that they can actually pretend, successfully, to be other real people. Close friends and relations, we are led to believe, are completely taken in. This is nonsense on a grand scale.

What is really sad is that sadistic, nasty, nonsensical books of this sort have readers who apparently like them. I do hope I never have the misfortune to meet anyone who admires this beastly rubbish.

Charles

5.0 out of 5 stars Different from Ludlum's Bourne, but superb in it's own right., 5 Jan 2009
C. Tomba - See all my reviews
I originally bought the first three of the Bourne books as a result of my great liking of the new films of the same name; indeed, I have always been under the impression that a greater appreciation of a given story can be attained from the reading of a book than its corresponding film. Suffice to say I adored the first two novels - Identity and Supremacy - but somehow felt that the third of the series lacked a little something.

I nearly refrained from purchasing the Van Lustbader Bourne books from fear that they would be nothing more than stretching the story, as is not unheard of within television shows these days. But upon reading The Bourne Betrayal I found that this was by no means the case: I found the story to be absolutely fantastic! A brilliantly written and immersive spy-thriller, with a substantial, and what I believe to be inspired, twist in the plot.

I have noticed some of my fellow reviewers expressing dissappointment in the techniques and style with which the book was written, which is their prerogative, but personally I would argue that these are merely a result of a new author, and though it is true that certain differences can be noticed I feel that - yes, the style of the writing features a few differences from the originals, but further that Van Lustbader's take on the story of Jason Bourne is superb in its own right and ever remains true to the original novels.

An excellent read :)

1.0 out of 5 stars BETRAYAL INDEED..., 11 Jun 2008
NeuroSplicer (Freeside, in geosynchronous orbit) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Anyone familiar with Eric Van Lustbader original work can attest that he is a very good action-thriller writer. I would recommend NINJA and WHITE NINJA without any reservation. The BOURNE BETRAYAL however is an entirely different story...

As with DUNE and the GODFATHER, whenever a publisher has different writers attempt the continuation of a book franchise after the passing of the original author, this fails. Miserably.
Trying to walk in someone else's footprints will produce an unfamiliar stride and an unnatural gait. Similarly, trying to write on someone's else's ink-marks yet produce something original at the same time is just awkward. And that is the feeling this book leaves you with.

Gone are Ludlum's serpentine plot twists. The plot is so thin that saying anything about it would spoil it entirely. Despite its 700 pages, this is as shallow as a movie script pitch - and the big screen is what it is obviously aimed at.

It has gone far enough. Let's not encourage them anymore...

4.0 out of 5 stars A delightful read, 24 Feb 2011
I enjoyed this marginally more than the previous book in the series (The Bourne Legacy). Having said that Lustbader's action pieces are still occasionally hard to understand, and Bourne's face-swopping thing was quite frankly ridiculous.

Thankfully the good far outweighs the bad. 'Betrayal' contains a clever, intricate plot with lots of twists and surprises. It's never completely clear how the book will end. The locations are also very nice. I really enjoyed reading about Ethopia, Turkey, and the Ukraine. The lenghty foot chase through Odessa was the highlight of the book for me.

One thing Lustbader does better than Ludlum is villains. Carlos aside, I can't remember much in the way of villains in the first three books. In this entry there are lots of different threats to Bourne, all with distinct names and personalities and varying motivations. The lenghthy Arabic names are sometimes annoying but it's only a minor complaint.

The timeline of these latest two books doesn't mesh all that well with the first three, most glaringly Bourne's age. You just have to use your imagination though to get past it (which is part and parcel of reading books anyway). Lustbader writing about a 60 year old spy with knee trouble wouldn't have been nearly as much fun to follow. It's much easier to simply pretend Bourne was younger than stated in the original trilogy and get on with it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Loved the Movies? Read the Books, 6 Feb 2010
If you loved the Bourne Movies, you have got to read the books.

With Ludlum's untimely death, Eric Van Lustbader has taken on the mantle as 'the chronicler of Bourne'. He's no Robert Ludlum, but he the next best thing...... Lets hope these 'sequels' make it to the silver screen. Robert Ludlum: The Second Bourne Trilogy: The Bourne Legacy, The Bourne Betrayal, The Bourne Sanction: The Bourne Trilogy

3.0 out of 5 stars I did intend to go through all the Bourne series of books but this one has put a stop to that and I have returned to Robert Ludl, 25 Sep 2014
Not in the same league as the original Bourne books by Robert Ludlum. The story is ok,but the action is so far fetched that maybe Tom Cruise could play the part if it ever got to made into a film.I did intend to go through all the Bourne series of books but this one has put a stop to that and I have returned to Robert Ludlums The Parsifal Mosaic which is a cracking good read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Exciting, good read but not Ludlum, 7 Sep 2008
Lustbader continues the Bourne story assuming a Bond like immortality and in a similar manner to Bond films this is a slightly different Bourne. David Web has been fully surpressed and this is Bourne and just Bourne ie violent, single minded and tactically brilliant (he is apparently an ace fighter pilot!). There is little reference to his past but where he does discuss previous characters it does flow and is accurate.

Bourne is tangled up with an Al Qaeda type organisation bent on distruction of the infidels. There is a cleaver plot line with a number of twists. As ever Bourne is captured and escapes with some interesting innovative ideas. I did not guess the twists and turns although you do expect that Bourne will win in the end and the evil doers will succumb.

What is different is that the American agents are not quite so hell bent on killing Bourne, and two plot lines develop on different sides of the world with Bourne working with a female agent (but no love story).

I have read all the Bourne novels and think the first one is the best, and the third one second best. This is a good read, I enjoyed it. If you read it expecting it to be simply Ludlum then of course you will be disappointed. Expect fiction, bond like stuff and clever twists and turns and you will have a good time.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bourne Catastrophe, 17 July 2008
If you are a fan of Robert Ludlum or have enjoyed the Bourne films, then just don't read this book. It is a desperately lame letdown that completely fails to capitalise on literary prowess of Ludlum or the cinematic excellence of the Bourne movies.

The plot is threadbare, and at times entirely transparent, relying on contrived twists that are about as subtle as an ice cream van approaching a primary school. The style is clunky at best and for the most part painful to read, leaving you wondering whethe Lustbader actually put pen to paper, or whether this was generated by a not very elaborate thriller writing program, that simply takes a wealth of B-movie cliches and spits them out in something vaguely resembling a book.

It has clearly been written with a film in mind, but unfortunately straight to DVD and into the bargain bucket. The style, language, action are all a let down; none invoke the tension and drama that you would associate with Bourne.

It is a real shame that the publishers felt this was worthy of being part of the Bourne brand, but if I'd have know what I was picking up as an airport thriller, I'd have left well alone and not tarnished everything I've enjoyed about Bourne so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jason Bourne, 23 Jun 2014
N. Atkinson - See all my reviews
I bought this book for my husband, as he is a great Jason Bourne fan. It lived up to his expectations.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Betrayal (JASON BOURNE)
Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Betrayal (JASON BOURNE) by Eric Van Lustbader (Paperback - 4 Feb 2010)