Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 May 2009
I have big respect for Duncan Bannatyne, and I think it is wonderful that someone with so much money will happily share his strategies with the rest of us. There are so many false financial gurus who are not even on The Rich List, yet are charging thousands of pounds for their "secret information" on how to be rich, yet here is one of the richest men in Britain who is giving his financial advice for less than a tenner.

In this book, Duncan Bannatyne takes a look at the finance world through the eyes of an everyday person. He gives his advice on what he would do if he was in the position of the average wage earner in the United Kingdom. He says there are basic skills we all can learn to be better with money, whether you are worth £3 pounds or £310m.

When I first read this book I was worried that Duncan might be too rich to relate to the problems and issues faced by the common man. In fact, he has researched very extensively into everyday finance, and names many relevant and up to date websites and sources. Clearly he has really given this book a lot of thought and applied his financial mind to the problem of how we can all be better off with our money.

Duncan was poor once upon a time and he came from nothing to become a mega multi-millionaire many times over. He has now learned the skill of managing money and becoming richer, and through this book, he is passing those skills on to all of us. It is clear that he actually practises the techniques which he recommends. The financial strategies presented are how Duncan approaches his own finances, and he is one of the richest men in the UK. If you want to be smart with your money, this is the book to read.
on 26 August 2009
I bought this book after it was the ONLY financial advice book to get a 5* review in The Times and i can understand why. It doesn't patronise and made me really think about how i could use the money i've got more fruitfully. I can only assume the reviews that have given this less than five stars come from readers who were hoping for a get-rich-quick book. As Duncan says, the only way to get really rich is to start a business (and his Wake Up And Change Your Life book sets out how to do that!) or buy a winning lottery ticket. If those two options aren't likely, then this is a smart book to have on your shelf.
on 29 January 2011
This book changed the way I think about my money. I was in a fair bit of credit card debt and I think like most people nievely got into that situation because I didn't have any knowledge on how my finances were working for me (and I didn't really care). The first year after reading this book I paid off most of the debt (getting close to paying off the lot) and I can honestly say this book changed my life! Now I have the confidence when looking at a finacial product to understand the jargon, terms and cons and make things work for me instead of working for the lender. This book would be no good if you are after a get ritch quick or if you are already quite clued up on personal finance but if like me you are a bit nieve or unsure what the differance is between AER and APR, well worth the read. Thank You Duncan!
on 2 January 2012
I read this on the bus to and from work, as well as in my breaks at work. Good advice and food for thought! I had also thought about why salaries are said in years in Britain and in months in Finland, given that most expenses in both countries are stated in how much they come to per month. And not just a matter of just dividing by 12 either, considering stuff like tax and NIC. A mathemathetical explanation follows to demonstrate, but generally speaking, well written and using an informal yet clear style.
on 24 September 2010
An easy to read book, with common-sense advice. Duncan Bannatyne provides practical help to those who need to improve, along with additional insight for those who already can manage. I think that this book is worth the money and I recommend it.
on 31 August 2011
Very good read on money matters throughout your working life.To plan ahead and be positive in what you are doing with money, through work,business,marriage,pension.But it is up to you how you plan your life!Recommend read,How To Be Smart With Your Moneyespecialy if your young and it allows you to do everything covered in the book.
on 10 August 2010
I would recomend this CD to anyone who wants to get on in life in business or just trying to save a pound. if you have debt problems there is some great advise aswell.
on 25 August 2009
I like Duncan a lot and thought this book would be great. But it is really written for people who don't understand money. Basics like mortgages (fixed rate, variable rate), how to save money and how to be careful with your money are what the book is about. Essentially if you have a basic understanding about money itself and maybe have a savings account, this book will be wasted on you.

I read it in about 5 days in the evening, and shook my head with disappointment afterwards.
on 24 September 2013
Excellent product & service. Thank you. Even as a chartered accountant, this book has given some great tips and has helped me make a financial plan for the future.
on 17 September 2009
Reading what Duncan writes is very welcome in today's economic climate, his words are an inspiration and now I am putting them into action.