on 19 March 2010
I have now read all Coben's books and await Caught out in UK in April 2010.
I am a big fan of Myron Bolitar and the gang i.e. Win, Esperanza, Big Cindy et al.
This book centres on the world of professional Women's basketball and the central character is Brenda Slaughter (odd choice of name!) who is a black basketball phenomenon.
She and Myron get all gooey eyed, but nice gooey eyed.
However her father's recently gone missing and she still wonders about her long lost Mother.
Alot goes on. THe Aches make a brief return. A local and hugely wealthy and influential politician and his family spread their powers in a variety of different directions and when Bolitar pokes his nose in their business he enlists his little and large henchmen to make sure Bolitar gets the message to keep his nose out of it.
Jessica is around and about but only fleetingly.
You also learn more about his parents and their Jewish roots and there's a very touching scene between Myron and his father.
There's alot social comment underneath the story which is interesting but didn't need to be spelled out.
However the story wasn't rich enough for me. The characters were too transparent and whilst it took me a while to work out what happened in the end somehow I didn't really care.
Most Coben books really engage you and Bolitar can carry a weak story by his own character.
This time it didn't hit the spot for me and I crawled over the finishing line with a sense of ennui and disappointment.
Harlan Coben continues to prove that he is one of the best thriller writers around at the moment. A page turner is a much used phrase but in this case it is really appropriate. The author's books are always so well structured and his character's well rounded. He is obviously comfortable with his style and ability and this transmits itself to the reader making the reading of his books sheer pleasure from start to finish. Coben has now got a string of best selling crime novels behind him and all I can say is that I hope he continues to write for many years to come. The author lives in New Jersey with his wife and four children.

It's been a while since an accident ended Myron Bolitar's sporting career, but he is now making quite a success of being a sports agent.. He has plenty of contacts and it keeps him around many of the sports stars he competed against. Life is good and he is doing just fine, that is until he meets Brenda Slaughter, one of the hottest female sports stars around. She is one hell of a looker, funny and single and as luck would have it seems to have mislaid her agent.

But when her father disappears and Mob start to lean on her, it soon becomes apparent that potent forces are at work and Myron is soon plunged into a world of deceit and death. Hopefully it won't be his own.

on 10 February 2013
In his fifth adventure, so-called sports agent Myron Bollitar is asked to protect a potential new client from unspecific threats following the disappearance of her father. As usual, this leads to a riot of violence, flippant comments and poking his nose around New England's elite.

I didn't really engage with this entry in the series as much as some of the earlier ones. The plot seems quite vague through much of the novel, and there's not a lot to do as a reader except follow on the ride. The ongoing story around Myron and his friends feels sidelined, although it is present in small doses, and some of the minor characters become a means to an end rather than standing by their own right.

It remains entertaining in a corny way - slightly less Hardy Boys for adults than the first few books but still written very much with the author's tongue in his cheek. It's a good series for light, mindless reading that doesn't insult your intelligence by being too implausible.

Overall, not the best in the series, but not a bad read. I got through it quite quickly without feeling like I was forcing myself to keep reading - it was not hard to read.
on 2 August 2004
Well, what can i say? He's done it again. Harlan has written a fantastic novel, full of surprise and witty dialogue. It picks up where number 4 in the series left off. This time he has to look after a women - Brenda Slaughter but then her father disappears.
Well i cant go into much detail as i will disturb the plot. But wow - Coben has done it again.
A typical Myron Bolitar novel - with more twists, turns than a rollercoaster - looking for a crime - thriller then this is the book for you. This is book 5 in the series - so if you havent brought any of the first four Myron Bolitar novels then i would suggest you buy those first and then come on to this - 10 outta 10.
on 5 July 2004
What I love about this author is the fact that his books are so fast-paced and to the point. Myron is a loveable, funny character and never fails to make the reader smile in his witty comebacks. The ending of each chapter leaves you in suspense as you know there is a new twist just around the corner!
I read this book in two sittings, and although the plot got a little confusing toward the end, it was a decent storyline and one which you could never have guessed (as you undoubtedly can with some thrillers), and hence kept you reading. I recommend this book if you enjoyed Coben's other titles, although I agree with reviewer "jongeo" it can also be read with out having read his previous thrillers!
on 19 February 2014
I was introduced to this author whilst on a recent holiday to celebrate my 30th Birthday, I had foolishly not envisaged a trip to the beach and hadn't thought we'd actually get time to read and hadn't bought any books. So I purchased this book from the shop at the Holiday Camp we stayed at, under the guidance of my friend Tara who had read some work by this author before.

I understand the book was first published in 1998, by Hodder & Staughton but the copy I got my hands on was from 2004. I love a good crime novel, and that will be evident when I get around to posting more reviews on here, but I don't like my crime novels to be wishy washy, I like them to have substance, I like not knowing 'who dunnit' right up until the end of the book, and I even sometimes I (as frustrating as it can be) like a twist at the end. This book delivered on all of these levels for me.

The story centres around Myron Bolitar a sports agent, who used to be a famous basketball player before major injury, and Brenda Slaughter an up and coming female basketball player. Brenda, we learn from the off, is in danger, her Father has disappeared and a family secret is at risk of being exposed.

The story is fast paced as Myron becomes Brenda's 'bodyguard' in the hope that he can one day get her onboard as a client. Quickly we learn that Brenda is in real danger. I don't want to give too much of the plot away, suffice to say that Brenda's Fathers disappearance may not be all that it seems.

I was very impressed as a first time reader how Coben manages to keep the plot twisting and turning, so that when you think you've worked something, or somebody out, everything changes again. In my mind that is the mark of a brilliant author, especially in this genre.

I've given the novel a 5 as I thoroughly enjoyed it and would not hesitate to recommend it, and I would definitely read this author again.
on 23 July 2015
I have been reading the Myron Bolitar series in sequence and I thought this one was relatively weak and just average. There was nothing new in this book, same wisecracks, same Win interventions, same unlikely coincidences and a totally unconvincing culprit – which seemed to be a case of who is the most unlikely person and twist everything to make it happen.

One thing that annoyed me was that for the second book in a row Myron falls instantly in love which was unconvincing. The strong feelings that he had for Jessica in the first two books are completely ignored and Jessica makes a rather underwhelming exit late on. A pity.

I do like the series and will continue to read them in the hope that they return to the strong form the first couple books in the series had.
on 2 December 2012
Sorry to say this book did not meet my expectations. It never really got firing on all cylinders with all the character's skills, charm and humour lacking. Too much emphasis on the underlying historical business and personal relationships.
on 11 February 2009
Harlan Coben is an excellent author. The twists and turns he feeds into each of his novels are both unique and unpredictable.

His characters are believable even though bordering on superhuman. The wit and sarcasm are well placed and worthy of the reader's sniggers and public laughter.

The plots in the Myron Bolitar stories are sometimes a little tame compared with those in his other books, but the mandatory guesswork keeps you reading chapter after chapter to see if you're correct in your assumptions. Invariably not!!!

This is not the best in the Bolitar series. That is reserved for Darkest Fear.

This man is a fine author. I have read all of his books and can't wait for the next one.....