5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read - put it down at your peril!
Published on 7 Aug. 2010 by A. Lea

3.0 out of 5 stars Great potboiler but with deja vu ...
Published on 21 Mar. 2007 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent read - put it down at your peril!, 7 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Gone for Good (Paperback)
I think this is now my fifth Coben novel and as always I have not been disappointed. As the synopsis suggests there is a very simple and strong main plot, but, as with all of his novels Coben weaves very intricate and intelligent sub plots. Throw the main plot and sub plots into the melting pot with very heartwarming 'goodies' and blood curdling 'baddies' and you have the perfect recipe for this excellent book!
The main character Will Klein is a likable anti hero who is more than open about his lack of 'guts' and often is lead by his heart rather than his head. The only thing I would say is that he often appears 'too good to be true' he has a certain naivety and vulnerability which is sometimes unrealistic.
But gripe over! I read this is only three sittings because I simply could not tear myself away from it! Each chapter brings a new character, a new dilemma, a new twist of fate or a new life threatening situation and try as you may you will not know when to quit!
My advise is to buy this book now, pencil in your diary a good couple of hours 'me time', get some chocolate and put your feet up! You are in for a treat....enjoy!!
PS the last chapter is fabulous!

4.0 out of 5 stars A real page turner, 17 Feb. 2003
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gone for Good (Paperback)
The lead character's brother has vanished for some years accused of a murder that the family do not believe he committed. Now the brother seems to be back just as someone else disappears..
My brief introduction does not do justice to this top notch thriller. You know that there will be twists as this is the nature of these types of books, but the reader is kept on their toes by a story that really does keep you guessing.
Well written and with good characterisation this really is very good. Highly recommended if you like this kind of thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars This takes the genre to a higher level, 8 Jun. 2006
Brian Butterly "Varied Taste" (Dorking UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone for Good (Paperback)
Many books hook me and thus get me turning those pages till the early hours in anticipation. Many books have complex and enjoyable twists, turns and surprises. Not so many books are so well crafted and use the language, dialogue, characters and scenes to such a compelling and higher level as Harlan Coben does in this book. I don't want to give anything away about the plot, just to say it is mind-blowing.

I could exhaust my vocabulary of superlatives to use in this review.

This is the most BRILLIANT book I have read this year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Twisty and Turny like a Twisty-Turny Thing, 10 Jun. 2004
Rich Milligan (Thatcham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone for Good (Paperback)
This is the first Harlan Coben book I have read and I was very impressed. The plot is fast moving and twists and turns like a roller-coaster. The characters are engaging and entertaining (if a little unbelievable) and the book even manages some humour with some great one-liners.
Thoroughly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best I've read so far, 12 July 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Gone for Good (Paperback)
This was the third Harlan Coben book I read and it is easily my favourite. It is the only book I have read that has actually left me stunned in my seat as I uncovered one of his many fantastic twists. I cannot rate this guy high enough. He is all I read! And if you want something fast paced, that is so easy to get in to but impossible to put down, you must read his books and become as obsessed as I am!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great potboiler but with deja vu ..., 21 Mar. 2007
Amazon Customer "Dmcc" (Glasgow United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone for Good (Paperback)
On its own merits, this book deserves 4 stars. It's a cracking potboiler, if a bit too cynical and coldblooded for my tastes. My main complaint was that as I was reading it, I felt I'd read it all before. The plot is much too similar to that of "Tell No One" which I read last summer. A recent photograph turns up of a supposedly dead relative ... Maybe they're not dead after all? (Okay, in "Tell No One" it was a tape and not a photo, but you get the idea.) It's still a gripping read and much recommended. Well worth reading even if you *have* read Tell No One, as it kept me guessing till the end.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top-Rate Thriller and more, 6 Sept. 2006
This review is from: Gone for Good (Paperback)
Well, obviously I have rated "Gone for good" as worthy of five stars, but if I could I would have given it six!

For one, this is an excellent thriller and delivers effortlessly as a pageturner with plenty of twists and turns where you least expect it; - yes I realise this sounds like a clichee but trust me, here it is absolutely appropriate. Since this is my favourite genre I was actually amazed to be so fascinated and surprised by this novel, which is very well thought out, and not once did the cynic in me smirk a "yeah, right" at Coben's plot.

But there is more. In my opinion, the strong plot and excellent writing gain even more by how likeable many of the characters are, who all seem very real and flawed and so, for lack of a better word, likeable. So much so that I found this book thrilling even on an emotional level, as relationships between father and son, two brothers, husband and wife etc. are beautifully illustrated, again very real and therefore even more touching.

Harlan steers clear of painting any black and white scenarios, where good guys are pure and bad guys plain evil, there is so much more depth to his characters which I find remarkable as it is not often so well carried out.

What can I say? In one sentence: I couldn't recommend this more.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blinder!, 22 April 2003
Northern Monkey (Berkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Gone for Good (Paperback)
What a great read! Having only recently returned to regular reading I'm amazed by the number of twists that can be fitted into one book! Whilst at times it became expected and cheesy that a twist or revelation would occur at the end of every chapter - the final stages of the book were totally unexpected and gripping stuff! Superb!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant stand alone by Harlan Coben!, 14 Dec. 2011
Best Crime Books "Best Crime Books" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Gone for Good (Paperback)
I have read one of Harlan Coben's stand alone novels, albeit some time ago, and am slowly working my way through his back catalogue. In this book we meet Will Klein and I found that it didn't take long for me to like him. What also became apparent pretty quickly was that Will Klein is an ordinary bloke. He isn't somebody who can ruthlessly take down bad guys and he isn't a brooding lead character that has an issue with authority. In other words, a welcome change from the ordinary leading male cop type character!

The story itself is quite interesting and before long you realise that the disappearance of Will's girlfriend is far from ordinary. There is also the added plot thread that includes the disappearance of Wills brother who is trhe main suspect in the murder of Julie Miller 11 years prior.

One of the things that really struck me with the Myron Bolitar series of books was the great characters, this book was no different. Will Klein's friend Squares is a brilliant added character and I found that I would have like to have actually seen more of him in the book. Even with that as a negative this book was still an absolutely brilliant read.

Towards the end I found myself reading even quicker and I must say that the last few chapters had many twists and surprises in store which I absolutely loved. All in all it was another winner from Harlan Coben.

5.0 out of 5 stars An author you cannot put down!, 9 April 2010
rhosymynydd "liz" (west wales) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Gone for Good (Paperback)
Another fantastic novel from Harlan Coben -keeps you on your toes from beginning to end - This is what a real thriller is all about, it entertains the mind and I love the characters. I have not missed one of his books yet and like many authors, he does not lose pace with his books, they keep getting better and better. Read the synopsis above but I don't want to give more away. Well worth the time reading this one. Gone for Good

Gone for Good
Gone for Good by Harlan Coben (Paperback - 11 Jun. 2009)