5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back, Myron ' we missed you
There are two sides to the Coben portfolio : one features Myron Bolitar, the other doesn't. This is my seventh novel by the great man and of course I'm here to pass on the message that everyone already knows, which is that if you want to read the best that Coben can offer, stick with Myron. Over the six year period since his last escapade, we have been presented with lead...
Published on 4 July 2006 by OEJ

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok...just ok
My review is going to be completely different from others on here. I have read a few of Harlan Coben's books, and this one disappointed me slightly.
First off it took a few chapters for me to actually get into the storyline. This is unusual for me.
Published on 6 Oct 2007 by L. Thomas

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Firing on all four cylinders once more ...., 14 Mar 2007
Jules "policechick" (Hertforshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Promise Me (Paperback)
How fantastic to once again be able to immerse myself in the strange world of Myron Bolitar and his gang of Wyn, Esperanza and Big Cyndi. It's been a long time coming but this book is worth the wait.

The storyline is great. Harlan Coben, whilst weaving a tale of intrigue with his usual cutting humour, fascinating characters and pacy plot manages to inject a subtle reminder of the pressures that young people in our society today face in terms of 'measuring up' to the expectations of parents, teachers and friends.

The picture that Harlan / Myron paints of his parents as they get older - and those of us who have read the series will recognise how they have changed - is almost unbearably poignant and will strike a cord with most of us who are in the 30-50 age bracket.

I loved this as much as I knew I would. If you're reading this review and are tempted - if you haven't read the Myron Bolitar series start from the beginning - they are great stories told with wit and imagination. You'll be hooked and I guarantee you'll get to this one quickly enough.

Note to Harlan Coben - in this book you make reference to the characters getting older and even Myron and Win are slowing up. But unlike Harry Potter there are still at least another dozen or so books in this series that you just must write.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another winner for Coben, 26 May 2009
Ed Taylor (Lancashire England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Promise Me (Paperback)
I was given my first Coben book "The Innocent" and couldn't wait to buy another. This book is not a sequel but it does follow on in a way. It introduced me to Myron Bolitar and his crew and I can't wait to go back and buy another Myron Bolitar novel. But back to Promise Me. How it turns you and twists you. How it shocks you and then amuses you. Anyone with children will be able to identify with the parents in this book. And what a pleasant change to have the bad guy shot dead through the forehead with one bullet from the hero without a chapter apologising for having to kill him instead of detaining him. You see the despair of parents and the desire to go to any lengths to benefit their child. And when we get to the end, in typical Coben style you are not really at the end as he has the ability to have you believing you know who did what and then turns it all upside down in the very last page and you are left with thinking that was a much better ending than the one you thought you had worked out. A page turner that you will not want to put down.

3.0 out of 5 stars It was ok...just ok, 6 Oct 2007
L. Thomas "laurie" (Kent) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Promise Me (Paperback)
Secondly, i didnt find the story gripping enough compared to his other books that i have read. I have read a Harlan Coben book in a day before, i just couldn't put it down for the life of me. This book took me 4 days to read. I could basically work out what had happened, the only real twist and great thing about this author is that the ending was great. A real shock at the end. Other than that i found it rather 'bland'
This is the first 'Myron Bolitar' book, so im thinking maybe i should start with the first book when Myron is first introduced. Gosh im still going to continue reading books by the author, this was ok, his others are great!
SEE FOR YOURSELF, GIVE IT A GO

4.0 out of 5 stars Myron's back!!, 26 May 2006
Nick Brett (Wiltshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Promise Me (Hardcover)
It is only once a new book arrives that you realise how much you have missed Myron, Win etc. You ease into this like slipping into some comfy shoes and as you give a wry smile you realise that the author probably shared the same sort of smile when he wrote it, you feel he enjoyed writing it as much as you are enjoying reading it!

Anyway, some time has passed since we last saw Myron and life has changed for him and somewhat settled down, but a rash promise takes him back into the 'white knight' role he swore he would not return to.

Well written, warm, witty and (of course) clever, this is a welcome return by one of the better writers, a much loved set of characters and, of course, the usual clever twists and turns.

Great stuff, welcome back Myron.

4.0 out of 5 stars How many twists can a writer dream up before he runs out of steam?, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: Promise Me (Paperback)
I was given this book by a friend and In some ways I regret not starting with the first of the books with Coben's recurring hero, Myron Bolitar. Not that the book wasn't a first class read. It is one of the cleverest and most exciting thrillers I have read. Normally I prefer more literary thrillers (think PD James), but this one had a quality of tension, fear and excitement that made it hard to stop reading once I started. It has also given me the incentive to go back to the beginning and read some of Coben's other books, especially in this Myron Bolitar series.

The book tell of a teenager going missing after the hero (a former basketball player, now sports agent, lawyer and de facto private investigator) has given her a lift. What follows is a search and discover thriller of some considerable complexity, populated by quirky characters like the hero's taekwondo expert friend Windsor Horne Lockwood (AKA "Win") and a pair of psychopathic tough guys who offer violence for sale. The hero himself is no wimp, but when the going gets rough, the fact that his friend Win is only a phone call away, is certainly comforting.

I won't go into the details of the story. Other reviewers have done so and I don't want to give away anything that would spoil the reader's enjoyment. I would only say that the story deals with relevant, modern themes such as teenage emotion and parental responsibility. There are also some short but powerful interludes of extreme violence. But interestingly, the author manages to include an element of humour that somehow works and flows without jarring or clashing with the dark content and heavy-duty story matter.

I have given this book four stars because, good though it was, I can imagine it being better and I want to have room to give appropriate recognition in the future to better books, like the literary books I have read in the past. But it will be interesting now to go back and read some of Coben's other books in this series, starting at the beginning.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Myron Bolitar mystery, 26 Oct 2011
D. Jones (Warwickshire) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This is the first Harlan Coben book that I have read - I wish I had found him sooner as I thoroughly enjoyed this book and his style of writing. Following a little research I now know that he has authored 21 books so far with this being his fourth book involving Myron Bolitar as a character - I will definitely be downloading the previous three books.

Myron is an ex-champion basketball player who is now a private detective. He is a decent guy and feels honour bound to fulfil a promise that he made to his friend's daughter,Aimee, even if what she asks makes him feel uncomfortable. Aimee calls him from Manhattan in the middle of the night, clearly in distress. She wants him to pick her up and drop her off in the suburbs. He does so, but then she disappears. Why? What's happened to her? Is she a runaway? Was she kidnapped? This is the basis of the story.

As Myron investigates, the plot becomes ever more complex and this keeps you on your toes as a good mystery novel should do. As the story progresses you are introduced to many characters, each of whom have some kind of link to Aimee.

Myron's dialogue tends to be very terse, often consisting of one word responses, and on the odd occasion when he feels particularly talkative he can be found to complete a whole sentence! This in no way detracts from the brilliant story and from Myron as a character.

I won't spoil the mystery but the book does reveal the extreme lengths some parents could go to, to help their kids, although I'm not sure that many would in reality go to the lengths described - but they do add to the dramatic effect for the reader.

A very good read, fast paced, gripping and definitely an author to try out if you like mystery thrillers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Read, 11 Feb 2009
A. R. Foster "goodbuyer" (Sandhurst, Berks, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Promise Me (Paperback)
Harlan Coben is an excellent author. The twists and turns he feeds into each of his novels are both unique and unpredictable.

His characters are believable even though bordering on superhuman. The wit and sarcasm are well placed and worthy of the reader's sniggers and public laughter.

The plots in the Myron Bolitar stories are sometimes a little tame compared with those in his other books, but the mandatory guesswork keeps you reading chapter after chapter to see if you're correct in your assumptions. Invariably not!!!

This is the second best in the Bolitar series behind Darkest Fear.

This man is a fine author. I have read all of his books and can't wait for the next one.....

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Back Myron Bolitar, 2 Jun 2006
This review is from: Promise Me (Hardcover)
Every one of us who enjoys reading Myron Bolitar Series such as Drop Shot, One False Move and so on, will love to read Promise Me also. Mr.Coben still has the touch to amuse me with that sports agent charactor, no matter in what murder case he might pursue. This time Myron involved himself in a case of missing person and a promise he had to fufill, another mystery to be solved. The book is quite a page flipper, as usual from Coben.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 22 May 2006
A. Baker (UAE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Promise Me (Hardcover)
Really enjoyed this book and read it in 3 days. Myron and Win were back to their best after a long absence. Well worth buying this book. Fast paced with good twists and turns throughout. Keeps you guessing until the very end

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!! you know that they might make a movie!!, 28 Jun 2006
lulu* (surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Promise Me (Hardcover)
I love harlan cobens books, whenever i start to read them i have to make sure that there is nothing that i am doing that day or the next as i CAN'T PUT IT DOWN

i think that my record for reading one of his books from start to finish is about a day and that is with out sleeping as i just have to know what happens next!!!

A good point about his series of books is that you can start to read them from which ever book you want as they all tell you all the background information with out repeating themselves .

BUY ONE OF HIS BOOKS TODAY AND TRY IT !!

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

Promise Me
Promise Me by Harlan Coben (Paperback - 19 Mar 2009)
Used & New from: £0.01